The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
rs74

Broke my hood latch handle off this morning.

Yep. Noticed that last couple of times I opened the hood it was kind of stiff to pull. You had to push the handle back in so the hood would open after it released. This morning it would not pop open. I tried pulling up on the hood after I could hear it release when pulling the handle. Nothing. I ran the handle in and out a couple of times and apparently on too many times. I have another cable on a spare cab I have that I will try to get off. Thought about ordering one from Rockauto or somewhere but will try the spare first. At least it was inside the cab where it broke and not at the latch itself. Of all days it is -4 when it happened. Was going to put on a new radiator cap. Not now.
Attached Images

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
rs74

Re: Broke my hood latch handle off this morning.

Well that wasn't too bad to do. Only took about ten minutes. I did take the old cable out of the casing. I am going to try to use that and make a secondary cable pull that will be located somewhere behind the grill or someplace else in case that ever happens again. Good thing I am a parts pack rat.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 02-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #3
MountainGoat1966

Here's a suggestion if the cable has much slack in it .... under the hood at the latch, put a split shot lead fishing weight (or something of similar nature, I hacksawed a slot in a piece of lead wheel weight) on the end of the cable and pinch it closed. That takes up the slack. Keep the latch mechanism well lubed, and as long as the knob doesn't break again, the hood release will be very smooth and dependable.

"Off the grid and on the seven day weekend plan"

"One person cannot know everything, but between all of us, there isn't much we don't know."
MountainGoat1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
rs74

I sprayed the latch down pretty good and also lubed the cable and handle good too. Works like a charm now. Still need to put a loop in the secondary cable so I can pull with my finger and open the hood if the main cable breaks.

1987 R10 shortie