The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
Bladeboy1998

project question

I have 2 questions for you guys.
first, what is the approximate cost to take a not running truck and make it road worthy? I don't want to do anything fancy, I'm figuring in bearings and brake work and some light engine work. I can do all the work myself so labor is nothing.

Second, are any of the parts from LMC any good. Are there any to stay away from, I have heard nightmares about the trim pieces but I don't think I will be doing much trim as my truck will be a work truck. probably not the right place to ask this but are the speakers and stereos any good? (38-8558)
what about the tilt column? Specifically the flook shift black (38-4874)

Sorry For the long winded post, I'm just trying to see if I could get into this awesome hobby on a slightly tight budget.
Thank you guys in advance for all the help.
Bladeboy1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: project question

Lmc has its good and its better,just like every other store. Also look into classic industries, earl classic and brothers for building on a budget. Good stuff.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
Bladeboy1998

Sweet! Thanks man, I just got catalogs from all of them.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
hugger6933

Don't forget Top Banana they don't have a lot other than sheet metal stuff but I've been very happy fit wise and price wise. Now question number one is a loaded one. You may have a truck that needs very little compared to the next guys truck but compared it to the third guy it needs a ton of stuff. See what I mean? First get it running. Change the fluids, filters, belts and hoses stuff like that so you won't have to worry about little stuff out on a ride.Clean the tank if you have to take it out to clean it isn't hard just takes a few min. Next for goodness sakes make it stop and steer for you safety and ours you would hate to hit a load of kids on their way to school because you were to tight to buy a ball joint or a brake pad. [I know money is tight it is for me too, but it has to be safe] Brake lines the rubber ones first then check the steel ones make sure there is no rust on them[or at least no big pieces flaking off inside and returning into the master cylinder] Now you have all the safe things out of the way you can start to drive it some then make your list of improvements you want to make like the addition of power steering, power brakes, unless you did that when you were fixing the brakes cause then is a good time as well.
The things on the motor will let you know on their own they need help like the carb, or dist it will run bad and tell you to fix it or it will make you exercise.[otherwise known as walk]Then once the running is in really a confident part and your feeling good about your truck not only have you done some stuff and learned some things had some great people from here help you along the way[people on here are willing to help]. Then you can start on the little things that bug you like the rubber strips on the door that don't wipe the window off any more and the door rubbers don't seal anymore. I hope this helps you. if you need more help holler at me Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #5
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Lots of road worthy projects out there for $1-2gs so do you have a truck yet or looking for one? It really depends on how long it's been sitting & what's been done to it. Could need all new suspension, joints/bushings, brakes & lines, fuel system, trans, rearend, engine lol So many variables you could buy a $1000 driver or $500 beater & spend $3gs getting it just road worthy.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #6
Bladeboy1998

The truck I want to go look at ahas only been sitting in its current spot for less that a year. How long it sat before that, I don't know. I need to go talk to the owner but it's so cold here that I haven't really felt like it. In my area (nw ohio) a crappy rusted out truck is running about 4 from what I can see. I am going to Florida in about a month and am considering looking down there too.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #7
Bladeboy1998

Thanks Jim, I'm sure we will be in touch. Alright so brake lines, fluids, filters, belts, and hoses, clean the tank, make it stop, Make it run, then all the little nit picky stuff. Got it �� I'm hoping to go look at the truck within a few weeks, from the road it looks like a 525 yellow long bed, hopefully 3/4 ton 4x4, if not I will need to beef up the frame and try a 4x4 conversion, we will see ☺
Old 02-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
davepl

If your goal is primarily mechanical safety, as it sounds (and as should be anyone's first goal) I'd skip the resto stuff from LMC and shop RockAuto for standard service items like brakes and bearings and hoses and whatnot.

Way, way cheaper, and if you don't pick the cheapest (and go with AC Delco instead, for example), you can get very good quality.

For cosmetic stuff, LMC and all the big ones are hit and miss. There are specialty vendors like Mar-K for trim that are a step above, and vendors on this board, but again, sounds like you need service parts first. The cosmetic stuff from LMC depends on who makes it. OER emblems, for example, are officially licensed by GM because they're good. The made-in-China stuff not so much.

BTW, when shopping for a project truck, before you fall in love with one, remember rust is expensive. It is literally cheaper to fly to California and ship it back than to pay for rust work, even if it were just the cab. If you're a body man or intent on learning, rock on. Otherwise, every dollar you spend on more solid metal up front likely saves you $5 in fixing it later. That's been my experience anyway.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #9
Bladeboy1998

Yeah service parts is my main priority, making it safe and useable, maybe not even road worthy but just drive around the property and move trailers and such. I will check rockauto, I use acdelco on my 03 silverado so I'm familiar with their quality.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
Eddie H.

From my experience, restoring any old vehicle normally takes three times longer and cost 4 times as much as you think it will.