The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #1
justin4260

vent window assembly removal.

I'm trying to replace the vent window sealson my 70 c10 and I'm just gonna take out the whole assembly so i can easily get to stuff and put in the channel felt run in easier. I've got he screws out on the side of the door and the screws behind the trim panel that hold the division rail on off. but i can't seem to get it out i can go down and up and i can tilt it toward the rear but it hits the window before the corner clears the door? anybody done this recently and can tell me what to do?
justin4260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: vent window assembly removal.

-
Just for reference here is how I install my windows and vents. (removal in next post below)

There are a couple of different thoughts on this but here is how I assemble mine.

Make sure you have the new felt window channel in the wing window. But do not install the felt channel around the top and down inside the rear of the door yet.

Insert the rear door glass guide/channel into the door but don’t bolt it in place yet.

Install the door latch remote and window riser mechanisms if they have been removed.. (make sure the roller is in the track on the inside of the door)

With the window riser arms part way down (horizontal position) install the window. (you have to slide it toward the front to get it started into the roller guides) After you have the window installed roll it down, and slide it back toward the door latch. (make sure it doesn’t slide out of the track)

Insert the wing window lower bracket into the window opening from the inside of the door, about where the window and wing window meet. After it is inside the door rotate the wing window to it’s correct orientation and slide it down into place.

Put the three small flat head screws through the angled part of the door frame and into the wing window, then put the two ¼” machine screws through the bottom holes in the door inner panel and into the bottom bracket of the wing window.

Now slide the door window forward into the wing window channel.

Put the door window felt channel into the door frame starting at the top of the wing window and work your way around to the back. Be sure and push up on the felt channel as you go around the corner. Do not put it into the inside of the door yet.

Put the rear glass guide/channel up into place and put the ¼” machine screw in at the top by the door latch but do not tighten it up.

Insert the felt window channel down inside the door and press it into the remainder of the door frame and rear glass guide/channel. Push the rear glass guide/channel in against the window glass and put the two ¼” machine screws through the bottom holes in the door inner panel into the bottom bracket of the glass guide/channel. Now tighten all of the machine screws up and try the window to see how it works.

Put your new inner and outer window sweeps on and you are done. You may have to trim them slightly for length.

I hope I haven’t forgotten any steps in the process and if I have I hope someone points them out.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-27-2015 at 09:31 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I will leave the above and add this. It may be easier to follow. I wrote it quick so I hope I didn't leave anything out. I will re-read it and I may make changes so you may want to re-read it if you see that I have edited it....

Here is how I remove my windows and vents.

Remove the inside door handle and window riser handle.

Remove the door inner panel.

Remove the inner and outer window sweeps. (You can’t pull the wing window back to get it out of the door frame with them in place)

Pull the door window channel out of the door frame at the top by the wing window. (You can’t pull the wing window back to get it out of the door frame with it in place)

Remove the two ¼” machine screws at the bottom of the "rear" window channel and the ¼” machine screw from the the top of the "rear" window channel by the door latch. You can leave the channel in the door but push it back in the corner.

(If you are going to replace the window felt channel pull it all out starting up by the top of the wing window)

Roll the door window down and slide it back away from the wing window.

Remove the three small flat head screws that go through the angled part of the door frame and into the wing window, then remove the two ¼” machine screws from the bottom holes in the inner door that screw into the bottom bracket of the wing window.

From the inside of the vehicle tip the wing window back and pull it up a ways, then rotate it so that the bottom mounting bracket will slide out of the opening when you slide it all the way up and tip it toward you.

Any questions post 'em up....

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-27-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
slikside

This may help too. It's the faq for window regulator replacement, but one of the first things you do is remove the vent window. Plus it has PICS:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157539

BTW, nice write up too LockDoc.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikside View Post
This may help too. It's the faq for window regulator replacement, but one of the first things you do is remove the vent window. Plus it has PICS:

BTW, nice write up too LockDoc.

Thanks.

I get a dead link on that but I have read the one you are referring to. There is a member in the Suburban & Panel truck forum who cracked both of his door windows trying to take his wing vents out without sliding the door windows back, so I definitely wouldn't recommend that one.

LockDoc

-
Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
cericd

Here's another link to the above mentioned thread.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
justin4260

thanks guys i got both sides out. the problem i was having was on the left side the main window wasn't able to slide to the rear to clear the vent window but the right side was.
justin4260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #8
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Thanks.

I get a dead link on that but I have read the one you are referring to. There is a member in the Suburban & Panel truck forum who cracked both of his door windows trying to take his wing vents out without sliding the door windows back, so I definitely wouldn't recommend that one.

LockDoc
Well that's good to know. I haven't done this yet myself, but was aware of the (good) FAQ link, so I threw it up there thinking it might help him out. (I think I pulled that from another thread instead of from the FAQ thread itself, prolly why it didn't work).

Glad I'm subscribed to this thread with your tutorial for when the time comes.

I wonder if there is anyway an administrator could modify that FAQ thread to include that revision??
Old 02-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikside View Post
Well that's good to know. I haven't done this yet myself, but was aware of the (good) FAQ link, so I threw it up there thinking it might help him out. (I think I pulled that from another thread instead of from the FAQ thread itself, prolly why it didn't work).

Glad I'm subscribed to this thread with your tutorial for when the time comes.

I wonder if there is anyway an administrator could modify that FAQ thread to include that revision??

I think the administrators would have to contact the original poster and have him add it. I will see what I can find out....

LockDoc

-
Old 02-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #10
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Thanks.

LockDoc