The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
Race.it

Battery size ;)

So my trucks battery is dead, it's not the right one for the truck, loose moves around etc will not bolt in.

So the question is what battery model should I be using its got the i6 in at present but I do want to swap to a v8 soon so would like to get one that will deal with both situations if possible.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Battery size ;)

Is it still 6 volt or has it been converted to 12 volt? Most V8 engines will come with a 12v starter, alternator, coil, etc.

The correct battery for your truck is a 6 volt Group 1. It is 9" long, 6-7/8" wide, 8 3/4" tall. The neg top post is at the left rear corner. Pos post is at the right front corner.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:57 AM   #3
Race.it

Sorry forgot that bit. Looks like it's been converted to 12v already.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:20 AM   #4
octanejunkie

Optima red top 800 CCA

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
mr48chev

Not big Optima fan as too many friends have had too much trouble with them but I am one who always buys the best battery that the store where I go to buy batteries sells that fits in the space I want to put it in. If it is under the floor in the stock AD truck battery holder that is limited by the size of the battery but you can still get the best battery the dealer has that fits.

Had a shop teacher tell me 50 years ago that new cars can get by with the cheapest battery on the shelf but old cars and trucks need the best the store has to offer and I've stuck with that.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
starterman99

The old saying " you get what you pay for " applies to batteries. Buy a good quality with a recognized name and warranty and it will serve you well.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
OrrieG

I have always bought Diehards with success. Because of the cold winters I get the highest CCA rating I can fit in the hole.

Only time I did not was on a road trip. We stopped at a Walmart for supplies and when we went back out the car would not start. It had been acting cranky but I was going to check it when I got home. I pulled the battery, went inside where it checked up bad, and bought their standard 36 month battery. It lasted about 24 months. I did not even bother with the warranty to just get another crappy battery and dropped in a Diehard. It was still working fine 5 years later when we sold the car.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
_Ogre

i'm not a fan of optima batteries either
any name brand battery is my preference and like orrieg said get the biggest cca battery if you live in cold country

speaking of cold... i need to move to az; anyone have a spare room for rent
was going to move to tx, but they're in the middle of an ice storm right now
had to replace the battery in my dd last week; tough on batteries when it get sub-zero

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #9
OrrieG

I had a neighbor that worked at Checker in the mid 80's. We had one terrible winter in town, got to -15. He had a ton of people bring in "bad" batteries, which he took in trade for a new battery. That spring when it warmed up, he cleaned them up, charged them (most had years left on the warranty) and sold them for a good profit. I remember it because all our modern cars would not start, fuel freezing issues, but the old truck with 250K on the tired 235 started right up, gotta love those old huge jets!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
Speedbumpauto

I've done well with Optimas and like the dual posts in my app since I can use the side posts for permanent and still have the tops for easy jumper cable access through the door well door.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #11
starterman99

My shop sells Interstate Batteries and a few of the Optima batteries also.We have very few problems with either. Most batteries brought in for warranty are only discharged usually from a different problem. Charging system problem,draw on system,or they sit not being used too long.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #12
franken

How about the biggest (fits the battery tray) and most CCA top post battery with the terminals in the desired spot you can get. I just get traditional batteries, which last well if kept charged.

Size
CCA
Terminal location
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #13
va4cqd

if i remember right a group size 35 is fairly close to the group 1 6 volt
va4cqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #14
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i'm not a fan of optima batteries either
any name brand battery is my preference and like orrieg said get the biggest cca battery if you live in cold country

speaking of cold... i need to move to az; anyone have a spare room for rent
was going to move to tx, but they're in the middle of an ice storm right now
had to replace the battery in my dd last week; tough on batteries when it get sub-zero
Same problem here, although it hasn't gotten down to zero. My Suburban is sitting out in the driveway now with a dead battery. I've had good luck with Auto Zone batteries so will probably stick with those.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #15
OrrieG

I got curious and found that my Diehard, Interstate, Duralast (auto zone) and scores of others, including Optima and OEM, are all made by Johnson Controls. Interesting read here:
http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-...ast-batteries/

So basically, assuming they put the same quality into the same batteries rolling off the line it now becomes a price point issue...
Old 02-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #16
Russell Ashley

Don't mean to drag this one out, but here's another one.

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com...ive-batteries/
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #17
Warrens69GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post

So basically, assuming they put the same quality into the same batteries rolling off the line it now becomes a price point issue...
If you have ever owned one of the lower price batteries, you would know they don't put in the same quality.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #18
OrrieG

Why I said assumed, I have had 48 to 72 month Diehards depending on what was on sale and they all seem to quit about a couple of months over the rated time!
Old 02-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #19
octanejunkie

FWIW, I've found that the battery selection (rating, amps, duty cycle, etc) should be matched with the vehicle and systems it is running in the regular environmental conditions to be expected. It's less about the vehicle and more about what's in the vehicle.

For instance, a high compression engine needs more cranking amps than a low compression engine, or a vehicle with a lot of electrical accessories/systems needs a larger battery than a vehicle with few electrical accessories, etc.

In my experience, proper battery selection is less about brand or cell technology than it is about matching the load and duty cycle of the vehicle. Maintaining your battery is part of vehicle ownership, just like changing oil, plugs and belts - some circumstances dictate more attention than others to the battery, however often it is a set it and forget it part.

Personally I like the technology of the optima, or any dry cell, battery vs. a conventional lead-acid battery. Improper selection or maintenance can cause any battery to fail prematurely.

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #20
Speedbumpauto

Just to put another fly in the ointment, I bought an Odyssey battery for my 27 due to where it had to fit. The thing is about 5" high, 5" wide and 7"long, looks like a glorified motorcycle battery and it's rated at 550 CCA. Cost a bunch but it's been in the car 4+ years, sits in the shop for weeks at a time with no tender, etc. and it starts the SB Ford hot rod motor EVERY time. Probably jinxed myself, but that little thing could be the best hot rod money I ever spent.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote