The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2015, 11:59 PM   #1
buckroseau

235 Alternator question?

Did a little searching, but I don't seem to be finding specific info.

I have a 62 C20 with the stock 235 motor and generator. Thinking of converting to an alternator. I found this bracket on the ebay, seems like it will work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151578349543...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What I am not finding is what I should be looking for in an alternator? I'm looking for simple. 2 wire? 3 wire? Is there a specific donor vehicle that has what I need? Anything else besides the alternator? Am I gutting out the current stock voltage regulator?

Something like this work for the alternator??

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1468&ppt=C0330

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

Last edited by buckroseau; 02-25-2015 at 12:05 AM.
buckroseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:08 AM   #2
slepysal

Re: 235 Alternator question?

You can get a one wire alternator but I would recommend you get a 7127 63 amp internal regulated
alternator. They are cheep and available at any auto parts store ask for a 77 Camaro v8.
( looks like the one you looked up will also work too)
I have used the 7127 in a 53 235 wagon I had, and am running one in my 60 with a 250.
You can get a ready made harness or make your own
here is a link with all you need to know
http://www.madelectrical.com/index.shtml

"Over, Around or through it... "

Last edited by slepysal; 02-25-2015 at 12:23 AM.
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:20 AM   #3
buckroseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
You can get a one wire alternator but I would recommend you get a 7127
alternator. They are cheep and available at any auto parts store.
I will get whatever you guys recommend, looking for easy. Is this the alternator you are talking about?

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...or/333906_0_0/

And if yes, I am assuming this alternator has an internal voltage regulator? Then do I remove the stock voltage regulator? Any info on how to bypass and wire up?

Matt
Old 02-25-2015, 12:25 AM   #4
slepysal

your to quick !!! I edited my original post
http://www.classicparts.com/1960-62-.../#.VO1Pss9OVjo

Last edited by slepysal; 02-25-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:28 AM   #5
OldGMJon

Post Re: 235 Alternator question?

I have a 62 C20 with the stock 235 motor and generator. Thinking of converting to an alternator. I found this bracket on the ebay, seems like it will work? Something like this work for the alternator?? Any help appreciated.
Thanks, Matt[/QUOTE]

Well if the I230 is the same, here is the issue I ran into on the alternator/generator swap on my 230...the alternator is shorter than the generator so the pulleys don't line up and the belt gets kinked
causing the bearings in the alternator slap at high R's when you tighten the belt. The bracket that mounts underneath the alternator to the block is fixed so the alternator can't be moved forward.
I went down to Napa and sized the alternator against a new one and it was exactly the same. They said I would have to take the pulley off and shim it but my alternator's shaft wasn't long enough to shim
nor was the new one it turns out. Then they said they could get me a double pulley to lengthen the alternator to maybe line up but that was going to cost me more than the alternator itself.
I remembered I have a C30 with a I230 in it at another location so I looked at it to find it had a wider/longer pulley fitting with no kink but sometimes I hear the bearings slap in that thing too if belt is too tight.
The only solution I could come up with was to shave down the alternator housing enough to slide it forward to line up and then put a spacer in the back to accommodate the shaved portion to be able to bolt it on securely.
I am thinking that isn't a good idea so I haven't tried to do this yet and don't know if it will be a good solution. Just thought I would give you some food for thought...maybe the generator ain't so bad?
jon...let me know if you get it solved.
64' Chevy C30 flatbed "above" 80' C30 "beneath")
Parts:
66' GMC 2503 & 65' GMC I1500
OldGMJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
vince1

IMO don't waste time on a 10si or 12si. A CS130 puts out about a 100 amps and charges much better at low RPMs. Look up an alternator on Rockauto for an 89 Pontiac Safari to see what it looks like. It is quite easy to wire, read up on the electrical forum here.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
Warrens69GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
IMO don't waste time on a 10si or 12si. A CS130 puts out about a 100 amps and charges much better at low RPMs. Look up an alternator on Rockauto for an 89 Pontiac Safari to see what it looks like. It is quite easy to wire, read up on the electrical forum here.
A 10 si is 94 amps-(they call it 100)

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...ernator/82360/
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:30 PM   #8
vince1

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...ernator/82360/ This one doesn't have a V pulley on it.

I don't know much about the 10si replicas but in my experience the CS130 is far superior to the original 10si 63 amp alternator of the 70's. I like it that the light is already going out as you begin to crank the engine. If you want the original look then the CS130 won't do.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 PM   #9
slepysal

Question Re: 235 Alternator question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...ernator/82360/ This one doesn't have a V pulley on it.

I don't know much about the 10si replicas but in my experience the CS130 is far superior to the original 10si 63 amp alternator of the 70's. I like it that the light is already going out as you begin to crank the engine. If you want the original look then the CS130 won't do.
Spot on.the cs130 is a great alternator!I recommended the 7127 because it is less expensive, 63 amps should be more then enough and it as you mentioned wont look out of place. Either way you should be good to go

Old 02-25-2015, 11:40 PM   #10
buckroseau

Picked up a 7127 and a pigtail up at the autoparts store tonight. No core to exchange so a whole $48 bucks invested. Ordered up that bracket last night off the ebay I posted for the 235, should have it in a few days.

Took a few pics of the generator and voltage regulator. Hoping to have it by the weekend so I can start figuring this out.

Matt
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2015, 12:09 AM   #11
vince1

Looks to me like maybe that black wire on the generator is the output which splices to the double red at the regulator.

Does your charging system have a light? If so I suspect it would be the small red (or blue?) at the regulator. The indicator light normally goes on when that little wire is grounded with key on and goes out when the alternator charges and removes the ground. The wire to the light goes to terminal 1 of your alternator. Terminal 2 is for sense voltage and you can put it to where you want like alternator output post which is easiest or battery plus terminal or fuse panel. Lots of opinions on this.

Feel free to correct me anyone if some of my guessing is wrong or confirm if OK.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:43 PM   #12
buckroseau

Few pics from tonight. Got a few minutes to work on the Gen / Alt conversion. I got the bracket today I ordered off the ebay. Removed the generator and got that bolted in. Nothing special here and fairly straight forward. Bracket was heavy duty and fit nice.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2015, 11:53 PM   #13
buckroseau

Few more pics of the alternator bolted up. Belt I had on there is to long now. The only thing I'm not happy with is the upper adjusting bracket, not long enough. Currently I'm not happy without being able to adjust the alternator out further to get a little more wrap around on the belt. I will either need to find one or fab one up.

Few questions concerning the wiring, not a lot of wires so this can't be that complicated. The pic of the small red wire in my hand, was on the center post on the voltage regulator. I am 99% this must goto the generator light? If I'm correct do I hook this up to the white wire on the alternator. I have the red wire going to the directly to the hot post on the back of the alternator.

Another question. I've got a set of cheap auto gauges in the cab. Since I had a generator I have never hooked up the volt meter....so I tossed the instructions. Just wondering what I need to do to hook this up. I'm assuming I come off the white pig tail off the back of alternator to one of these posts and the other goes to ground?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Matt
Attached Images

Last edited by buckroseau; 02-28-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:20 AM   #14
vince1

I've been waiting for one of the electrical gurus to get you sorted out but in the mean time here's my 02.

From what I understand if you put the wire from the light to ground with the ignition on and engine not running the light comes on. I put that wire to terminal 1 when I was using a 10si in a non GM vehicle.

I think the voltmeter wants to get hooked up to an ignition 'key on' source but I've never done one, just get that from reading on the Internet.

You've done a really good job getting your PS to work so good luck with the bracket. Looks like it shouldn't be hard to modify.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:21 AM   #15
buckroseau

Few pics from today. Was able to finish getting the new alternator installed. I ran that small red wire to the white wire on the alternator, the generator light on the dash comes on when the key is on but once the engine starts it goes off. Ran a keyed 12v to one side of the voltmeter and the other terminal to ground. When I fired it up it instantly went to 12.5 volts and then climbed to about 14.3 in about a minute, seems to work fine.

Bought an inch shorter belt. The alternator doesn't have really any wrap around on the belt, more of a tensioner now. I took it out for a drive today, about 20 miles. Voltmeter consistently showed 14.3 so I have to assume it isn't slipping.

Matt
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #16
slepysal

did you get a chance to read the MAD link I posted? that's what I used to convert mine . I have a file at work if you want I can send it but wont be till next week I'm on vacation

Old 03-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #17
slepysal

try this :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=469558

Old 03-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #18
vince1

Matt obviously has it wired correctly and according to the diagrams in the links as I see it. I did it the same way in a non GM vehicle but found on really low idle the light would eventually illuminate. And that is why I now use the CS130. I wonder if there is a slightly smaller pulley diameter available for the 10si? But if the light doesn't come on, everything must be good.