The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #1
Houston Ben

Help with drop decision please

Hi all,
My truck currently has a makeshift drop. Appears to be 2 or less in front and 2 in the rear(just shackle). I wan't to got 2/4 or 2.5/4 and no lower. The 2/4 will be with springs while the 2.5 will be spindles.

Problem is, I think my current springs are cut (not sure) and would have to buy new ones if I go with spindles so it makes the price go up by $100.

Are spring drops really that bad with just 2" Also, I am worried it won't be low enough as I have read that new springs are stiff and won't squat like an old pair.

I guess I just want to buy the right kit first and be done so any pics of 2/4 or 2.5/4 along with your sanctification on both.

I am running 275/60/15 all around and plan on running Belltech Sp shocks for the drop.

Thanks for any help.....I am ready to pull the trigger just want to make sure i get the right drop.
Houston Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
Slammed84

Re: Help with drop decision please

I have a thread going of pics of lowered trucks w/15" rims & tire sizes.
2.5" spindles plus one coil cut will net around 4.5" drop. You would have to do hangers on the back for it to look good, or else it will have a huge rake to it.
If you just want to do spindles then go get a set of springs from a salvage truck, they should be good and broke in for you.
This would probably be best option if you dont want to change the rear drop but want the front a little lower.
To get an extra 2" drop on the back you will have to do drop hangers which are a beeyotch, or go old school and try to de-arch the leaf springs.

Last edited by Slammed84; 02-28-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Slammed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
Slammed84

My truck is 2.5 spindles, one coil cut on front. Flip kit on rear. 15x7 wheels, 295/50/15 all around. Keep in mind there is still some weight to be added to the front so it will lower a bit more.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
Houston Ben

Thanks for the reply slammed,
I saw that thread and it has good info on it . I want to stick with a 2/4 or 2.5/4 drop. I did the ls swap and my oil pan hangs down and I don't want it hitting on anything so I don't want to go any lower. I will be doing the drop hanger in the back as well for the full 4" drop.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #5
Slammed84

No problem man, get you some 2.5" spindles and pick up a pair of stock 1/2 ton springs from a salvage toswap in while you're doing spindles.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #6
Houston Ben

Hey Slammed and anyone else who can help. I took some pictures today of my truck and wanted to see what you all think. If I go with a 2.5 drop spindle will they clear my rims? also, do you think my coils were cut or heated? Thanks for any help.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #7
Slammed84

Man it would be really hard to tell if anything has been done to the spring without pulling it out and comparing to a known un-touched one. If it looks a little lower up front than other stock trucks than most likely it has had something done to it.

I took a few pics to show what mine looks like and how you need to trim the drip rails or " rain gutters " to allow wheel clearance.

These are just 2.5 drop spindles and I needed clearance so if you were to get a set of the 3'' drop Belltechs it would definitely need clearance with 15" rims. I also have 1 coil cut off of my spring.

I think 17" and up are big enough to clear without mods.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #8
Houston Ben

Cool, thanks! Still trying to decide what I want to go with.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #9
Slammed84

If I was in your position I wouldn't necessarily go by the 2/4 rule. Every truck is a little different and some are more worn out than others due to more use/hauling, whatever the case may be.

Do your hangers first and deal with that headache. You'll most likely need a torch to burn out the old rubber bushings to get the leafs off. They rust together and are like cement. Be extremely careful and keep a bottle of water close because the gas tank is right there on the drivers side.

After you get the back dropped simply put a set of spindles on and see how it sits. You might be right on the money, you might not.

If the front needs to come up then get a set of stock springs from a salvage and see how it sits with them installed.

Its kinda trial and error. If those kits were perfect every time I wouldn't imagine so many guys would be cutting coils to drop the front more. Personally I like a little rake to a truck.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
Houston Ben

Slammed, thanks for your help and advice but I went with the 2/4. I hope she turns out good.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:20 PM   #11
Houston Ben

Belltech 2/4 drop before and after pics

Hi all,
I was finally able to finish my 2/4 drop. Belltech needs some quality control or something because none of the bolt holes for the drop hangers lined up with the rivet holes and the hole in the new drop hanger where the leaf spring bolt goes into was too small and required drilling as well. Not a major problem but something I wasn't expecting nor thought I should have to have done. With that being said, the ride is night and day and I love it. Here are the before and after pics.

I know it is not as low as some like but it is functional for me and I think it still looks good. Will probably get new wheels next year.