The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
bgood70

help with bumper alignment

Anyone run into this when installing front bumper? Any tips on best way to go about adjusting? It wants to align to far too drivers side. When I align to passengers side then bolt holes don't seem to line up.

Name:  20150301_191357.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  25.3 KB

Name:  20150301_191343.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  22.4 KB
Old 03-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
Greasey Harley

Re: help with bumper alignment

Best advice I have is to first get all the bolts put in loosely.
Leave lots of slack, don't tighten any bolts until all of them in place.
Next, take them all down to not quit tight and check the alignment.
If it looks good, tighten them all down evenly starting in the middle and working your way to the outside, in an even pattern.
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
dan brassard

Angry Re: help with bumper alignment

if its a repop like mine the holes in the bumper are not centered
dan brassard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #4
bgood70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan brassard View Post
if its a repop like mine the holes in the bumper are not centered
It is a repop just got from NPD. So if not centered how is it corrected. Can't really drill new holes.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #5
leddzepp

Is your frame square?

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
hotrodder

With that much misalignment I think you should check the frame horns. I do body work and I would bet the horns are over to the left. The frame its self is probably not in a diamond . A push with a porta-power jack will do the trick.
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:38 AM   #7
boynton

I would start by making sure your core support is centered on your frame, if not loosen the core support bolts and push it towards the driver's side and line it up/square it up. it is very easy to get it off center as the holes are 4X bigger than the bolts so that the front end can move around. If you move your core support make sure you check your hood alignment again as it may be off a bit when you move the front end.

If your bumper is bolted into the frame and the frame is not bent, I believe the only issue could be your core support is not centered. Start with a tape mesure and work from there.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584499
1970 SWB One Owner Step Side 6.0 LY6/6L90
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617630 Junkyard's 1971 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post7531186
boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #8
bgood70

Thanks for all the responses. I will get the tape measure out on see where the issue is. I will post an update on the fix.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
BrianG

I'll be very interested to see how this turns out. I plan on getting my bumpers from NPD in Michigan. Please keep us informed with what you find. I'd also be interested in what your thoughts about the quality of the bumpers finish it. You can PM me if you'd rather since that is not the subject of this thread and I don't want to redirect your original intention of this thread.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
jeffahart

First measure the holes in the bumper to the edge of the bumper... make sure it's not the bumper for sure. If they are even on both sides go to work on the horns. That looks like a whole inch off. I would Take two 4x4 blocks drill hole and bolt both to same sides of frame horns. Smack with 20lb sledge until both horns are close... repeat until fit. Also for extra measure you might sick a piece of stock between the frame and strap around the frame where the stock is places just to try to make sure the only thing that moves it the actual horns. But I've pounded and porta powered many a horn with out even thinking twice.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #11
bgood70

Update:

First the fit and finish of the NPD bumper are great no issues with the quality. The hole alignments of the bumper are correct also.

I did get the tape measure out and found that my core support was about an 1" off. So I started their. i pull grill back off, loosened core mounts, unbolted front part of fenders and with great encouragement was able to get the core support centered. I then tightened core mounts back up and re-attached fenders. Before going any further I put bumper on to see if it aligned any closer. As expected it was looking pretty close. So I mounted grill snugged everything up and then re-installed bumper again.

I still had one hole at bottom of one of the horns that would not line up. So I need to tweak a bit. As suggested I used a BFH and piece of wood and was able to get it where it needed to be.

Thanks for all the insight and suggestions that is why this is the best forum around. Now on to the next challenge.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #12
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood70 View Post
Update:

First the fit and finish of the NPD bumper are great no issues with the quality. The hole alignments of the bumper are correct also.

I did get the tape measure out and found that my core support was about an 1" off. So I started their. i pull grill back off, loosened core mounts, unbolted front part of fenders and with great encouragement was able to get the core support centered. I then tightened core mounts back up and re-attached fenders. Before going any further I put bumper on to see if it aligned any closer. As expected it was looking pretty close. So I mounted grill snugged everything up and then re-installed bumper again.

I still had one hole at bottom of one of the horns that would not line up. So I need to tweak a bit. As suggested I used a BFH and piece of wood and was able to get it where it needed to be.

Thanks for all the insight and suggestions that is why this is the best forum around. Now on to the next challenge.
Thank you soo much for the update!!! You gotta love it when this website/bb works this way!
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote