The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
halfadeuce

timing problem

my 65 C10 has a camaro front clip and I'm guessing the engine is from it as well. It's a regular350 with hei distributor and a q-jet. My current issue is the timing. I've never had it running really good. If I rev it up it backfires through the carb. I pulled the timing cover off to check the chain and there is plenty of slack in it. Before pulling the chain off I'm rotating the enginge to TDC on number one, but my balencer is pointing to 7 or 8 o'clock. Am I doing something wrong?
halfadeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: timing problem

Remember #1 cylinder is up twice. Once on the exhaust stroke and once on compression stroke. You need to be at #1 on compression stroke. If the dots on the chain are lined up together you are on the exhaust stroke not the compression stroke. Dots at 6 and 12 on the gears put you at #1 tdc on compression stroke.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
cableguy0

Just to add on an unknown engine with an odd running problem I would first do a compression test to make sure the engine is actually worth installing a new timing chain. You could also have a cam going flat. If the engine isn't mechanically sound there is no point at all wasting the money on putting new parts in it.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
halfadeuce

Thanks cableguy, I was looking at that earlier and you are right on. I guess what was throwing me off was that I w arching the valves open right around tdc, and by the time the exhaust started opening, my balancer was already at 7 o'clock. I lined up the dots and it looks like it's where it should be. There is a lot of slack in the chain. I'm going use this engine until i have enough money for a rebuild or a swap so the new chain is necessary right now.
halfadeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
cableguy0

Understand that completely. Either way a new chain should help. After that verfify tdc and make sure your balancer mark is aligned with the 0 on the timing tab. Once your all back together set timing 12-14 advance and then see how it runs. If its still popping and acting up you will have to then check the rest of the engine mechanically.