The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
OlSmokey

Starting a new project!

Hey guys, I have a 1972 C10, and I need some advice. I am young and I don't have much money to spend. So I can't really take it somewhere to get it painted like how I want it without spending a fortune. I got my truck for about 2 grand, and the paint isn't very good at all. I know a little about these trucks, but not enough to do what I want to do on my own. I am going to take the bed off to paint it, but the hard part is the cab. I really want to take the cab off of the frame and then while the bed and cab are off the frame I'll sand down any rust that I see, and then prime it and paint it. All the wiring and the two pedals and I don't want to start tearing things apart and then realize I'm way over my head. Is there any advice you guys can give me to help me along with this project or anything you experienced doing a similar job? Thanks!
Attached Images

OlSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
Lanman1972

Re: Starting a new project!

I would advise not tearing it down until you have a plan and all the parts and money it will take to keep it on the road. Life changes in a hurry sometimes and you are left with a project that you need sell after it has sat for years. That said it's not a big deal to remove the bed and paint. I did all the repairs and paint without removing the cab. Check your local paint suppliers and get some prices before you start. Paint is expensive, and the supplies are too. Sandpaper and all the rest of the items add up quickly. Good Luck, like your truck.
Lanman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
cooltx

It looks like you have a solid truck to start with. I would start by working one panel at a time , you know say work your fender and fill your trim holes if you're not going to have the trim. and then prime the fender then move to the door and so on. Then when you think you've got it all ready to paint then take the bed and cab off. This way you can work on it and still drive it and it wont be taken apart for the whole time. Anyway just my thoughts , I'm sure you will get other suggestions. Good luck with it and enjoy your project !
cooltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
mooseknuckles

Nice truck! I would wait till you can afford it.. don't get to worried about doing a frame off restoration and tear your truck all apart....take your time and drive it, and enjoy it, learning about it as you go....you'll appreciate it more that way than looking at it scattered all over your driveway.... good luck.
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
swamp rat

My advice before you tear this truck apart:

Read this forum and educate yourself, go to the builds threads and read them, learn whats involved in fixing these trucks up, from both mechanicle as well as body work standpoint. Read the threads from start to where there at today.

I have been on this forum about 5-6 years now and i'm still learning. Its nice to have dreams of getting the truck fixed up, i'd never discourage you, but most hope and dreams are dashed because lack of knowledge, money or both.

Keep the truck together and drive it, do small stuff as nessasary, if something big comes along you have never done before get help from someone that knows what to do or hire the work done.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #6
OlSmokey

Thank you guys for the advice! With the color that I want to use, it's going to be about $250 for a gallon of alkyd automotive paint, so I'm saving for that, I already have most tools, and I just need to get sandpaper and primer. So Would you guys advise against taking the cab off? or should i just leave the cab on the frame, and strip the interior and paint it like that?
Old 03-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #7
hamjet

Hi, It looks like you have a fine truck already. If you like driving it and can live with working on it a little at a time, ENJOY it. It's easy to get caught up into wanting one like some of the beautiful truck restorations on here, and can be intimidating, There's nothing wrong with building them to the hilt, as long as you have patience, money, and a lot of spare time. (just ask some of the guys on here that wish they saw the end of a build) For a 40+ year old truck keep up with maintanence, dabble a little here and there, and some day you may come into some money to go crazy on it. ENJOY!!!! EDIT: Wow, by the time I got done 1 finger typing, 2 more posts showed up LOL.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:40 PM   #8
hugger6933

I do a lot of body shop advise columns on this site [probably around 4,000] and I would advise you not to take that truck apart yet. you need to get a better grasp of how things go before doing a frame off. Do some small projects to boost you confidence . The more you can do it little bursts and still drive[read enjoy] your truck the less likely you will be to lose intrest. There have been so many unfinished projects bought by guys that buy those things up for a living cause a guy would see some folks doing that and think how much fun it must be. Well when you have your stuff all strung out and can't find the right parts well it isn't fun when the truck don't run.
maybe if you can take a votec type evening class and then you can learn and have shop time too. if not I'll be glad to talk you through the steps or do some reading look up my posts I've listed the steps many times. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:10 AM   #9
leddzepp

It's a running, driving truck...don't tear it apart until you have a solid plan of action, time, money, and another mode of transportation. Just look at your local craigslist and you'll see all the projects for sale. They come apart real easy, but don't go back together quite as fast.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:18 AM   #10
mud.man.rj

A nice truck and a lot of good advice here by people who have learned the easy and hard way. Being young and lots to figure out would slowly go over the mechanical of the truck so it is safe to use and enjoy and as mentioned don't need to have a show stopper which is very hard to afford starting out, putter a bit on some of the body panels one at a time and still drive it, trucks are for fun not sitting waiting to be perfect. Cool project, congrat's.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #11
OlSmokey

Thank you all for the informative replies! It does run and drive and I know it won't be easy to put back together thanks guys!!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #12
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

So many of us have made the mistake of blowing a truck apart and then realizing we had overwhelemd ourselves. Do quick and easy fixes, drive the truck and get a plan formulated. I buy lots of "projects" that the previous owner had big plans for, then life and reality set in. With some of us, after they are torn down for a long period of time, you eventually cannot stand the sight of them and they get put up for sale. Just my opinion. Thanks, Fred.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #13
Lanman1972

If the paint job is really bothering you, maybe you could give it a Patina look by scuffing through the paint in key areas. Just a thought. Might try a search for help. Good Luck!
Lanman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #14
Katrina/10

250 a gallon is an awful lot for alkyd paint.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #15
mgkgmc

If you want to save money on paint try the rustoleum paint job. You will have to look it up but heres is a link to help. Comes out a lot better than you might think on a budget. http://www.instructables.com/id/Pain...ith-Rustoleum/
1989 Swb Silverado
1972 Aj's Stormer
mgkgmc is offline   Reply With Quote