The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
NJ C10 Guy

Custom headliners...anyone done it?

I wanted to see who has made their own headliner. I have an 86 Custom Deluxe, and my truck has never had a headliner. I really want one, but don't feel like shelling out the 200 bucks to buy one. I'd like it to be somewhat removable in case I have any issues later on where I would need to recover it. I don't want to glue on my headliner if there is an alternative. My main concerns are the edges...how do you end them so they are smooth looking? I don't have the moldings that are generally used to hold them in place and cover the edges nicely.
NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
ZacharyDouglas1992

Re: Custom headliners...anyone done it?

I have not made my own from scratch before, which I know is what you're asking for in the thread.

BUT...

I have installed a headliner in my buddies truck that came from the factory without one. We robbed a sagging (but structurally sound) headliner, and all of the moldings from a junkyard truck for 45 bucks. Carefully removed the sagging headliner material, and used 3m spray adhesive from oreillys to glue new headliner material on the foundation. The material cost 40, but that was from an upholstery shop and probably can be had cheaper elsewhere. using headliner material is helpful though, as it usually has thick foam that helps hide the imperfections in the headliner's cardboard like structure. Then just paint the moldings to match and drill them in.

Not what you asked for, but a do-able alternative. And one that can be done relatively cheap, and you have more choice in the color.
1987 R10 TBI 350/700R4
2014 CRUZE 2.0 TURBO DIESEL
ZacharyDouglas1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
NJ C10 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyDouglas1992 View Post
I have not made my own from scratch before, which I know is what you're asking for in the thread.

BUT...

I have installed a headliner in my buddies truck that came from the factory without one. We robbed a sagging (but structurally sound) headliner, and all of the moldings from a junkyard truck for 45 bucks. Carefully removed the sagging headliner material, and used 3m spray adhesive from oreillys to glue new headliner material on the foundation. The material cost 40, but that was from an upholstery shop and probably can be had cheaper elsewhere. using headliner material is helpful though, as it usually has thick foam that helps hide the imperfections in the headliner's cardboard like structure. Then just paint the moldings to match and drill them in.

Not what you asked for, but a do-able alternative. And one that can be done relatively cheap, and you have more choice in the color.
That would work for me. I guess i just need to find the pillar supports and go from there. If I can find one in a junkyard with the headliner still relatively intact that would be nice. I'm not looking for anything fancy, but I want it to look nice, and the shipping for the headliner would be a bit much im sure.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:30 AM   #4
andrewmp6

What about getting one from the junkyard and having a shop recover it for you?Call around a few auto upholstery shops and ask how much to cover a headliner that you drop off and pick up.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

what zachary did I did on my show truck I also have all the moldings in grey if you need them

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
Nate_from_Utah

Back in high school, I found a stretchable fabric at an independent fabric store and some ultra tack adhesive spray. Looked great until I started to rebuild the truck a couple years ago. It may not be what you want, but the look was way nice with no bubbles or gaps.
Nate_from_Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
NJ C10 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
what zachary did I did on my show truck I also have all the moldings in grey if you need them
Bob, yes I need them! I don't care if they are grey as long as the plastic is in good shape. I have SEM paint ready to go after we get rid of all this damn snow. As long as all I would need to do is fab up the headliner board/fabric, I should be fine. I'll send you a PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I took my factory headliner and removed all of the foam and cloth from it. I then recoated the headliner with a closed cell foam and formed flames in it to match the painted flames on the outside. We then covered it with the same material as the seats were covered with. I also built an overhead console to put my radar detector in, that matches the headliner and it all looks like one thing, now.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:11 AM   #9
NJ C10 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
I took my factory headliner and removed all of the foam and cloth from it. I then recoated the headliner with a closed cell foam and formed flames in it to match the painted flames on the outside. We then covered it with the same material as the seats were covered with. I also built an overhead console to put my radar detector in, that matches the headliner and it all looks like one thing, now.

You have any pictures? I'll have extra CCF when I'm done soundproofing and insulating my interior. I was gonna do a bowtie in the door panels, but the headliner sounds like a great idea.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I presently don't have a good picture of the headliner, but the seats and the doors, I do have. You can see some of it in the first picture. There are also flames on the door panels.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2015, 04:24 AM   #11
NJ C10 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
I presently don't have a good picture of the headliner, but the seats and the doors, I do have. You can see some of it in the first picture. There are also flames on the door panels.
Nice.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
tucsonjwt

My 83 had a thick fiberglass mat style headliner. It just pops out from the pieces of trim holding it in place - no glue. I cut away the loose pieces of fabric and had a local upholsterer recover it for $40. If you can get this style of headliner from a junkyard in good shape and also get the trim pieces I think that would be the best option. You do have to be sure not to damage the fiberglass by being too aggressive in removing the remaining fabric - if you damage the surface of the fiberglass the recover will show the voids in the fiberglass.
Attached Images

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:21 AM   #13
NJ C10 Guy

That looks nice. I was thinking of fabricating a fiberglass headliner once I get the trim pieces and measure it out.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #14
tucsonjwt

I would not mess with trying to fabricate a fiberglass headliner - unless you could find the factory material. The factory material is very thick and holds its shape very will - much denser than the hood insulation pad. I am guess at least the 83 an up models have the factory fiberglass liner. I like the idea of not having to mess with gluing the headliner, once the fabric is glued to the fiberglass.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote