The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2015, 01:39 AM   #1
CastIron

So I got rearended yesterday....

But thankfully it wasn't in my truck. I was in my daily driver and got hit while at a stop light. The damage doesn't look that bad, but now my neck is pretty sore. So this got me thinking.....

My truck is a 69 C1500, mostly original. If I had been driving that, my head would've probably went through the back window. So for most of the day I've been thinking about what I could do to my older vehicles to make them a little safer.
A newer style seat with a headrest immediately came to mind. Shoulder belts would be another thing. Maybe a more padded dash and padded steering wheel. There seems to be a lot of room for improvement.
I really prefer the old school look, but after the little incident yesterday I'm starting to think that maybe I should modernize some things just to protect myself and passengers. Does anybody want to share some of the ideas or upgrades we can make to our trucks to make them safer?
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:24 AM   #2
bonnieclyde100

Re: So I got rearended yesterday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastIron View Post
But thankfully it wasn't in my truck. I was in my daily driver and got hit while at a stop light. The damage doesn't look that bad, but now my neck is pretty sore. So this got me thinking.....

My truck is a 69 C1500, mostly original. If I had been driving that, my head would've probably went through the back window. So for most of the day I've been thinking about what I could do to my older vehicles to make them a little safer.
A newer style seat with a headrest immediately came to mind. Shoulder belts would be another thing. Maybe a more padded dash and padded steering wheel. There seems to be a lot of room for improvement.
I really prefer the old school look, but after the little incident yesterday I'm starting to think that maybe I should modernize some things just to protect myself and passengers. Does anybody want to share some of the ideas or upgrades we can make to our trucks to make them safer?
i put seats out of a astro van in mine 3 point seatbelts and even rear wheel antilock brakes from a 90s chevy truck to make mine safer.
bonnieclyde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:48 AM   #3
odis.dunkle

I don't know what your daily driver is/was, but I will bet that your C1500 weighs a lot more. And in the collision of two bodies it is relative mass and velocity of each body/vehicle that determine where everyone ends up.
Not trying to minimize the risks you are trying to address. I was rear-ended by a Blazer (old school bigass rig, don't know year, probably early '70s) while I was driving a '93 4Runner. He pushed my tailgate almost 12" into the rear compartment of my 4Runner given his bumper sat higher than mine. I did 10 chiropractor visits/massages in a month and still see the chiro at least once a year to keep my neck correct. The driver of the Blazer had no injuries whatsoever and the Blazer only had damage to the hood.
I was lucky. I was waiting to turn left off an arterial but had steady oncoming traffic. He was coming up behind me at about 35-40mph, and was apparently distracted. When I realized he wasn't slowing, I got my foot off the brake but couldn't get to the accelerator in time. Had I still been on the brake, things would have been worse.
Good luck with any modifications you do attempt (IMHO headrests if you are doing anything at all).
odis.dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:14 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I think this is a great topic to discuss. Hopefully some good ideas will come out of it. But, here's my take. Cars will never be safe. Life is full of risks and you can't eliminate them all. I've been taking my chances all these years and feel as safe as ever in the trucks as they are. I feel a lot of this concern comes from us being "protected" by the Fed regulations that have mounded up on motor vehicles over the years since these trucks were produced. I feel a lot of those regs serve to protect the mfgr from lawsuits more than occupants. It seems many give us a false sense of security and even result in more careless driving. It's as if people feel they are protected from harm and are not responsible for their own safety or the safety of others. I see sloppier careless driving day by day. Regardless, it is what it is and we have to deal with that and not how it should be. All I know is it seems as many people are getting injured/killed in accidents as ever. It almost feels like if cars are safer now then people are figuring out new ways to get hurt. I just drive as aware as possible and watch what others around me are doing. I can't avoid all accidents, but I would have been in a lot of accidents that didn't happen, no thanks to the oblivious other driver. I expect the worse from everyone on the road. Since most people here drive modern vehicles daily they are used to all the "advances" and when they hop in the old truck the 40 year gap is felt. No overdrive makes them feel the engine will blow at 70 mph, but it's just fine. new vehicles have been designed to reduce wind noise and have a quite cabin, so people feel these trucks are noisy, and compared they are. Fuel injection fires right up and a carb could take some cranking, but they start. Etc etc.
I do think shoulder belts are a great idea in these trucks. I always wear the belt in vehicles with them. I don't wear the lap belt because they can hurt you as much as save. Lower spinal damage is a great possibility with those. They were basically outlawed, but that was handled by mandated shoulder belts

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-06-2015 at 08:27 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
don t. - 72gmc

What Special-K said.
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
A newer style seat with a headrest immediately came to mind.
While they look ugly in these trucks sticking up high through the back window they do make a difference. I hate the aesthetics of these, so I roll without them. I did add them to my 65 Mustang because they look good.

Quote:
Shoulder belts would be another thing.
Yes, absolutely add these immediately. Takes maybe 3 hours with a helper to remove the seat (you don't want to miss match buckles). With how incredibly easy GM made it to add 3 points to this truck it seems crazy not to.

Quote:
Maybe a more padded dash and padded steering wheel.
Not necessary with 3 points, unless you have a rider in the middle.

Quote:
Does anybody want to share some of the ideas or upgrades we can make to our trucks to make them safer?
Front Disc brakes.

My C10 was rear ended by a moron at a stop light. I was completely stopped with my bright ass LED taillights blaring... It was a low speed hit but I hopped out pissed off instead of with a broken nose thanks to the 3 points. My truck had a bent bumper and exhaust, the whole front of his car was destroyed, it tried to go under my truck.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
Daaaanz67

This is the reason I run a late model bench seat with a head rest 95/97 era. I also installed the same era 3 point seat belts that I bought new at the dealership I worked for. This conversion was done over ten years ago.
Daaaanz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
cdowns

If you had a rwear mounted fuel tank you could of had an explosion and that wood have solved all your worries
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #9
67ChevyRedneck

You mean like with all of those blazers and suburbans that blew up
Project "On a Dime"
Old 03-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #10
feller

OK, my .02 newer vehicles are safer, when all safety equipment is being used properly, but they are lighter, and made to collapse on impact. IMO just cause its stronger and doesn't fall apart on impact doesn't mean you as a driver or passenger are any safer. In a collision there are 2 impacts the first is the vehicles themselves the second is people in the vehicle. I love these old trucks but for safety a newer vehicle would be way better for you. No being p!$$ed cause someone just scratched my truck is what I would probably be most upset about, I am with special k here too.
feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
DarkFlounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Yes, absolutely add these immediately. Takes maybe 3 hours with a helper to remove the seat (you don't want to miss match buckles). With how incredibly easy GM made it to add 3 points to this truck it seems crazy not to.
Links?
Old 03-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #12
67ChevyRedneck

Links for what?

There are now kits that use all existing bolt holes for a simple bolt in job, or you can get cheaper belts from companies like WESCO performance and either make a bracket that works with the hole in the floor or drill a new hole in the floor and reinforce it from the bottom.

Here's a couple pics of mine. I used an L bracket and drilled a new hole and reinforced the bottom with a large thick washer:

Project "On a Dime"
Old 03-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #13
57taskforce
All about them K’s

I too am with Tim on this one!
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #14
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The plain ol' lap belt in my 1972 GMC saved my life when I hit a ditch nosed in backwards on the drivers side. The drivers door swung open on impact and the lap belt held me there. When the door slammed back shut it hit me in the left arm. How my arm did not break I don't know. It was sore as hell for a few weeks afterwards. The door sill just below the window has a dent where my arm hit it. That's some strong steel right there. I consider myself lucky as the truck would have ended up on top of me in that ditch if I wasn't wearing that stock lap belt.

But... the truck is being currently torn down for a rebuild since the wreck. I intend to put just the stock lap belts back in and nothing else. I feel completely safe in my truck with just a lap belt. But I've been driving these things for 30+ years, so I feel safe in any rig with just lap belts.

Not saying you have to do the same. Just another mans take on it. Whatever you decide to make YOU feel safe is a benefit to you. Especially your overall piece of mind. Just don't let that turn in to false security.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #15
justin4260

any picture with the headrest seat in? and do you just bolt it in or how do you do that exactly?
justin4260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #16
70cst

Lots of good thoughts ...

I don't drive my truck like I do my other vehicles. I desire to drive my truck the way it was built. The odds of getting hit is low compared to the times we are on the road driving other vehicles . So I am keeping my truck as is but a very good thread.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #17
hugger6933

A lot of guys are using the seats from the 99 and newer Chevrolet truck and they of course have the headrests and the seat belts built in.Now if your a big man say over 6 foot or so the scales tip over at more than say 250 it may not be the best choice for you because of the amount of room they take up. I had put some in a truck to try out several years and about 100 pounds ago and are thinking about trying again because I am needing a seat in one truck and have tons of those late models laying around.
Any way you would want to do a search on here about the install of them I'm sure someone has done a write up on them and you definitely need to brace the floor where you put them with some flat stock or large flat washers if nothing else just to keep it from pulling [the seat that is] through the floor if a frontal impact ever were to occur. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #18
desertnick69

I have to say that the way these are built really says a lot. I have 1969 C-20 years ago when my father owned it he got rearended only droped the spare tire that was at 40 mph and we where sitting still. Here 3 yrs ago had a lady turn infront of me and had no choice but to take her out. took the frame out of my 69 (never broke a window?)and hood, pass fender, all i got was a bruse on my right side where the lap belt was. still rebuilding and i think i will keep it standard equip.
desertnick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #19
jeffahart

I drove trucks for years with no seat belt. But I do use the lap belt only now. Reason is I can see the door popping open it a wreck and me tumbling down the road after falling out. I debated getting a shoulder belt but decided I would just go without as I did for many years. But then I remember how many people I knew growing up that got thrown from their vehicle. So I got OEM style lap.

As far as the back window... I'll bang my head and rock the dead!
Old 03-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #20
Daman

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
All I know is it seems as many people are getting injured/killed in accidents as ever.
I agree 100% with this. I look at some of the stuff we did as kids and all the new ways/laws that are forced upon us and these kids are injured anyway. I never wore a helmet skate boarding or riding my BMX. I can't imagine being a kid without skinned elbows/knees. I think it gives them a false sense of security to do crazier stuff.

I have to say if you're going to pad and airbag an old pickup then you should just buy new.
Daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

I should wear my lap belt. Even at 50/50 why not try for the good 50? My concern is not the old "without a belt you might get thrown clear from a burning truck that's about to explode" silliness. It's that when only your lower body is held fast and your upper body flies forward you stand a great chance of severing or damaging your lower spine. I used to say I'd rather die than be stuck in a wheelchair for life. Times have changed and the world is an easier place to get by in a wheelchair these days and I don't feel the same. But I would rather stand, walk, climb, and run. This type of conversation helps me realize I really do need to go ahead and get my '72 going with a 3pt set-up, because I do drive it daily. My '67 will probably still run the OEMs. I had two sets of factory shoulder belts in the colors I needed, but decided if I'm using shoulder belts I don't want to deal with two buckles and feel like a Mexican bandito with ammo strapped across my chest, and sold them. Once driving my '67 I may do the 3pts, at least if I find I'm driving it a lot.
I've been in a head-on in a big bad jacked up early all steel 4wd with fabricated steel bumper while wearing no seat belt. I'm still alive but have always considered myself extremely lucky to live to tell the tale. It wasn't pretty

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #22
brown7373

A couple times a week I read in the local paper about a traffic death from a minor traffic accident. Not the head-on at 55 mph, but the ones that occur more frequently. Almost always, the deaths occur to the occupant who does not wear his seat belt, and those belted in, walk away.

I was fortunate to purchase a set of NOS shoulder belts for my 72 recently, and although more cumbersome than retro fitting 3 points, it is sure a secure feeling to be belted in.
Attached Images

brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:38 AM   #23
odis.dunkle

I am surprised hearing that some folks have actually had the 'door flies open' experience that gets them to use their lap belts.
My lap belt use helped with a different scenario and that was to keep my ass in the seat while maneuvering. Twice I had instances where I spun my car ('68 Camaro) rather than skid. The first time I avoided any damage vs. a certain head-on. The second where a guy was making a left across my lane and I would have T-boned him, I was able to make it far enough around that my rear passenger fender hit his front bumper. Neither of those times would I have still been in the seat had it not been for the lap belt.
But I will admit that even with those experiences in my youth, I didn't become a 'faithful' seat belt wearer until during a short term I did as a school teacher. After a safety presentation to some 7th graders put on by the school where seat belt use was stressed, a student came up to me as the kids were all packing up to go home and asked me, "Do you always wear your seat belt?" I lied and said that I did. But since that day it has been true.
And maybe that is the real basis that we each should use to decide what our ride needs in it as far as any piece of safety equipment goes-- what level of safety do we want to provide for the other folks in our lives.
I have one son who I put in a new Volvo. Crumple zone technology, nine airbags, collision avoidance technology, adaptive cruise control, automatic headlights and wipers, indash navigation.
The other is the one who is getting the truck I am trying to resuscitate. He has what special-K calls for, a great pair of eyes and a brain that works full-time when he is behind the wheel. I think he will get a great deal out of piloting a rig from 45 years ago and realizing all the layers that have been added since then. But he will wear the lap belt every time.

Thank you CastIron for this thread. I doubt you have gotten much help out of us.....
odis.dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

I had an accident in my '90 Blazer while wearing the seat belts (of course). Driving home from grandmom and grandpop's with my wife and three kids through the mountains in fog and drizzle the whole way. I was driving responsibly in the right lane of three at 55mph up the next to last mountain. Unknown to me, there was a big storm dumping buckets of rain beyond the mountains that we ran into 3/4 of the way up. we hit a wall of rain all at once. Water was running across the road following the slight bank from right to left. I had a car coming along side to pass and felt myself drifting close but steering didn't change a thing. I was hydroplaning! Just about when my wife said, "Tim, you're getting close to that car!", and I said,"I know!" we connected. I knocked her to the left while I was heading for the guard rail on the right. I corrected to the left but the Blazer slid sideways into the rail hard. That wasn't quite the end of it before we stopped, but my reason for telling this is when I slammed into that rail wearing my 3pt. I was tossed over onto my wife against her door with only my feet left on my side. I grabbed the wheel and pulled myself over like yesterday to regain the task of getting the vehicle under control to save my family. That shoulder belt did nothing to keep me behind the wheel. The lap part helped some, I guess, but it's all one belt and my butt was out of the seat. We were so lucky no one got hurt. But there I was, the captain of the ship, restrained in place, and next thing I knew I left the helm. My point is there is no immaculate savior built into any motor vehicle. I was being as careful as possible and this still happened. The tires were fresh Michelin XCH4s (all seasons) and at the time they were advertising "Put your family on Michelins", so it's not like I didn't keep good tires on it either

Tim

Old 03-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #25
Coley

Smile Re: So I got rearended yesterday....

Another interesting thing is that we are now safer in our trucks because of the modern vehicle technology currently on the road around us.
If we end up in a collision with another vehicle the odds are very good that they will have a crumple zone and that crumple event is something that both vehicles and drivers benefit from.
If we were on the road with just other (older) trucks....not so much.
That said, I wouldn't mind getting a set of the shoulder belts at some point...I do like and believe in those.
all good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote