The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
steve aleve

5.3 First Startup Noisy

I wanted to post this because I have been building a 5.3 with an LS1 intake for my 55.1 chevy 3100 and finally took a stab at the first start up. It took about three or four attempts to get it to start and here is the video. It was a bit louder than I expected. I have since hooked up an oil pressure gauge and on the next start up I will check the oil pressure, and also check to see if there are any exhaust leaks. Other than that... any thoughts on what else may be going on?

More info: the engine had about 100 thousand miles on it (had roller tick) I swapped the cam and rollers. I fabbed the x pipe and the mufflers are stock c6 mufflers. its a 4l60e transmission from CL... starter is from CL... Throttle body, alternator and water pump are from CL...

http://youtu.be/o0T7nx_A7R4
steve aleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
Marty68

Re: 5.3 First Startup Noisy

was it an exhaust manifold leak?
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
Hart_Rod

How much lift does the cam have? Did you check the pushrod length?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:37 PM   #4
steve aleve

I hope it's exhaust leaks. I'm going to start it up and going to check the exhaust tomorrow and it's a stock corvette cam so I didn't think it would cause trouble. Is this still a possibility?
Old 03-07-2015, 02:26 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Obviously a cell phone camera + people talking during video + being really short doesn't give us a ton to work with.

Tell us what the oil pressure is (and if its coming up right away, or bouncing around/with rpm).

The loud puffing is the just the intake huffing without a filter (and you were standing right by it), but thats not the problem. I feel like I hear valvetrain noise, but the exhaust leak can easily mislead.

Is it sputtering/dieseling at all or is that just the low idle in the video?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
homemade87

Once you get it running fair enough to get a good heat cycle in it the lifters should quiet down . It also sounds like it has the lope of a cylinder not firing at low idle. I would verify this by a inferred gun on the exhaust manifold if you have one . These ls injectors are bad to stick if they sit for a while .

Also the engine will be louder with no body over it . Makes a bid difference. Looks like things are coming together .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #7
steve aleve

Thanks all for the help!!! I had a chance to start it up again today and I found some vacuum leaks, a couple exhaust leaks and br3w city, you are right... The intake was huffing quite loudly. I fixed my leaks and the idle smoothed out very nicely. I also got my oil pressure gauge hooked up and at idle I'm getting about 30 psi. I'll have to look and see what these engines are supposed to run at but at least now I know oil is moving through the engine!!! Hopefully I'll have another video to post soon!!! Thanks again
Old 03-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #8
steve aleve

So here it is now...

Thanks again for the comments!

http://youtu.be/C2HLgiFoXOE