The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
dc3843

What rear end and where do I buy?

Hello all, Im new to the forum, just started my build. Right now, I'm looking for a posi rear end and im not sure where to go or what to buy so looking for some help. We're doing a ls1 motor, 6l80e transmission. I ordered a full ride tech coil over suspension and I'm looking at doing a big brake kit. Haven't ordered the brake kit yet cause I wanted to get the rear end sorted. We're also converting to a 5 lug pattern. So what rear end do I go with and where do I order it from? Thanks!
dc3843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: What rear end and where do I buy?

Welcome to the board first off so I guess you have a 70 or before. There are sites like I saw that Speedway has a axle swap kit the other day to change your rear to the 5 [on 5] axle comes with everything needed to do that. you will have a 12 bolt rear axle in your truck any place you would think of to have performance parts like Summit, Jeg's or Speedway will be able to rush you a posi unit right out to you. good luck with your build. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
cooperhw

You might want to take a look at Currie. They make a really good complete rear end or component, whatever you want.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
Mike C

Welcome. The search feature is a valuable tool because many of these questions have been asked previously and there is some great info in old threads.

Also, it would help to know what year and style your truck is and what your plans are. 67-69 axle housings and axles are narrower than 70-72. Step sides require different offsets and tire sizes because of the bed shape if you don't want to modify it.

Google can also provide a wealth of information about limited slips to let you make an informed decision about what would be best for your planned usage of the truck.

What gear is in your truck now? What engine? Transmission? How tall a tire do you plan to run? Going to pull a trailer? Build a street/strip truck?

More information would be a real benefit to answering your question...
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote