The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #1
WarMonger

Stereo cuts out

truck came with a retro sounds head unit. Always worked fine. This last weekend I installed an 4 channel amp, 2 kicker 10's and 2 kicker 6.5's. Stereo sounds amazing. I get on the freeway and she cuts out till I get off the freeway. It's like when it is under a load or steppin on the gas, she cuts off. All I did was connect to the RCA jacks on the deck and the remote wire. Should I check the power and grounds to the deck? Or could it be something really weird?
Attached Images

WarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Stereo cuts out

Try just wiggle testing the wires/connections with the unit on and see if you can duplicate it.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
WarMonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Try just wiggle testing the wires/connections with the unit on and see if you can duplicate it.
Good point. Maybe I can have the wife (god help me) drive my truck and I can shake all the wires and try to recreate the problem.

the thing that gets me is it never did this before until I put in the amp and speakers, but all i did was connect the RCA jacks and the remote wire for the Amp. Maybe when I was connecting the RCA's, I loosed up a connection?
Old 03-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
cleszkie

The gas pedal linkage is between the fuse panel (12 volt source) and stereo head unit. Maybe your power wire is being tugged on by your pedal linkage, pulling it out of the fuse panel just enough to kill power? I had a tachometer that did the same thing. Went dead when I was on the gas. Drove me crazy until I found the cause. Good Luck. Its hard cruising without the proper tunes in the background
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #5
WarMonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
The gas pedal linkage is between the fuse panel (12 volt source) and stereo head unit. Maybe your power wire is being tugged on by your pedal linkage, pulling it out of the fuse panel just enough to kill power? I had a tachometer that did the same thing. Went dead when I was on the gas. Drove me crazy until I found the cause. Good Luck. Its hard cruising without the proper tunes in the background
I will give that a check also. You guys are pretty smart
Old 03-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #6
SS Tim

No need to drive the truck yet. Just start it up and start wiggling all the stereo related wires 9with the radio playing). Many if not most electrical intermittants can be found this way.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
WarMonger

Got in it last night. turned on the radio. shook all the wires. Never cut out. Any ideas?
Old 03-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #8
AirSpeed

Turn on your stereo with the engine off and push on the gas pedal, see if that does it, don't flood your engine! Sounds like you have a loose connection somewhere. Does the retrospund deck have a signal wire to turn on your amp? You may want to trace that wire and make sure it's not loose or grounding, also check the power wire to your amp. If you have all the speakers running off the amp and it shuts off then you will hear no sound at all.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
AirSpeed

Does the deck shut off when it happens? Can you see the the light on the amp as youre driving? Does it go out? I bet you have a bad signal wire to the amp, if you ran to small a wire to the amp or have a bad connection the amp could go into protection.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
blkseetin

This was happening to me, although it was not just on the highway and I have a newer style kenwood in my truck. Turns out, some of the unused speakers wires (I only have two speakers in my truck at the moment) from the radio had just a slight bit of exposed wire. bumps in the road caused the wires to bump against bare metal behind the dash. this was causing my sound to cut out. My fix was to put some wire connectors on the ends of the unused wires to make sure there were no bare wires hanging out that could touch bare metal. don't know if you have any unused speaker wires in your setup, but this ended up being my problem. It seemed to have something to do with the accelerator as well, but it was only doing it when I was moving and actually had nothing to do with the accelerator. Just one other thing to check.
blkseetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #11
WarMonger

I will check all these things tonight. Great info
Old 03-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #12
hamjet

""""I get on the freeway and she cuts out till I get off the freeway.""" Maybe its the wind blowing on antenna.( pulling on coax thats just barely plugged in) do you have cd or something to try other than radio stations ?