The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
gabe2000

swap vs conversion????

I am planning way ahead of TBI swap or conversion. Please correct me if wrong.

First, what is a true "swap" ?

second, what is a true "conversion" ?
gabe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: swap vs conversion????

Do you want TBI? Adding TBI to an existing engine (regardless of what that engine was, as long as it didn't have TBI before) would be a "conversion". I.e, your converting your existing engine to use the TBI.

A "swap" is what we do in this section. Take an LS motor, and put it and its associated parts into a truck which did not ever contain said engine or its parts. Fully swapping the old drivetrain for a new style.

If your interested in doing a full LS swap, then peruse the builds, FAQ, and this area in general for info on the variety of options and ways it can be done.

If your interested in just adding a TBI unit, or some other form of efi to an existing SBC,LT,orBBC than your probably better off taking a look through the general Engine section.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
gabe2000

i have been told not to wonder too much but I was wondering.......
What if I want to keep all the emission stuff and just swap every single thing it needs just to run. There is a lot of advantages:

PROS:
-cleaner and air friendly
-avoid buying or modify wire harness or ecm
-easier to swap. less work/modification

what do you all think about this?
Old 03-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
gabe2000

its like lifting the body off the frame and replacing another body into the same frame. The drive train is the same but in my case is the TBI system.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
gabe2000

another PROS:
no modification on auto transmission.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
gabe2000

maybe after i can remove smog air system.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
GMC-YA68

Try a search... I have been endlessly searching, talking to other members, and still don't feel I have all the details for my upcoming swap. Saying you are going to keep all the emissions and keep the harness stock isn't going to gain you anything above any of the others who have already swapped or else they would have done the same thing. Get rid of the emissions and mod the harness now. No idea what you even have for a truck but that plays a role in a few things as well. Lots of info here, just find it. If you are wanting a TBI conversion then that's a totally different animal from a LSx swap...

'72 Jimmy 4x4 - 5.3/4L65E/NP205 swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663780
GMC-YA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
gabe2000

I know this work is not that difficult to do but I think people use word that's meaning/definition has changed(alot or alittle) during past years.

IMO or simple english (please patient with me, Iam beginner):

A TBI (or TPI) can be done by "swap" or "conversion".

A LS1 (or LST) can also be done by "swap" or "conversion".

future systm like the GGX ( or green go go power) same.

Maybe they all mean the same or at what point does it change from swap-conversion?
Old 03-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
gabe2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Do you want TBI? Adding TBI to an existing engine (regardless of what that engine was, as long as it didn't have TBI before) would be a "conversion". I.e, your converting your existing engine to use the TBI.

A "swap" is what we do in this section. Take an LS motor, and put it and its associated parts into a truck which did not ever contain said engine or its parts. Fully swapping the old drivetrain for a new style.

If your interested in doing a full LS swap, then peruse the builds, FAQ, and this area in general for info on the variety of options and ways it can be done.

If your interested in just adding a TBI unit, or some other form of efi to an existing SBC,LT,orBBC than your probably better off taking a look through the general Engine section.
For ex.
people convert a carburator engine to TBI. This is a conversion.
Others (like me) get a TBI into a classic car/truck. This is a swap.

LS1 is mostly a "swap" but now there's new engine parts that you can converted to LS1 like replacing the heads and intake parts.

Look, now Iam confuse!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

People are using the terms interchangeably. In the most basic sense, a "swap" is literally swapping 1 part for another. A "conversion" literally converts an existing system to another.

Its hard to break it down more than that, since the definition OF the meaning, IS the meaning of those words.

Replacing an entire SBC with another SBC that runs TBI - by definition, this is a swap because the whole engine was "Swapped" for a different one.

If you took that same SBC, but decided to set it up to run TBI (wiring, TBI unit etc) -then that would be a conversion, because you literally "converted" an existing system to use different parts.

You cannot "convert" an SBC into an LS motor, but you can "swap" an LS motor in place of an SBC.
Anything past that is simply people having different grammatical understanding. Some will say "swap" but mean "conversion". The fact is, it doesn't really matter as long as you can figure out what they are talking about.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
gabe2000

thx for the answer. beginners ask so many questions!!! like you said before my question might be at another topic thread.

I want swap a Tbi so I should investigated how to remove a emission system from it. One step closer.

thx
Old 03-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #12
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Gabe, if your wanting to work with the TBI motor, I'd suggest doing a search through the general Engine section. I'm positive plenty of members have done the TBI work and can give you much more specific help than we can here in the LS section.