The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
Spank-a-lank

58 apache wanting to go ifs. no welding exp!!!

So I am wanting to possibly do a mustang 2 swap on my 58. unfortunately I do not currently have welding experience and that's an important thing to do correctly. I have heard about bolt on crossmembers for the earlier truck(47-54) but cannot find anything for later yrs. so does this mean I am stuck with straight axle or have to pay someone I don't know to weld the crossmember in who could do a shotty job? any pointers, other options appreciated. thanks much
Spank-a-lank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:40 AM   #2
57chevyman

Re: 58 apache wanting to go ifs. no welding exp!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank-a-lank View Post
So I am wanting to possibly do a mustang 2 swap on my 58. unfortunately I do not currently have welding experience and that's an important thing to do correctly. I have heard about bolt on crossmembers for the earlier truck(47-54) but cannot find anything for later yrs. so does this mean I am stuck with straight axle or have to pay someone I don't know to weld the crossmember in who could do a shotty job? any pointers, other options appreciated. thanks much
I dont know as far as bolt in kits,
but as far as the welding work, find someone with years of experience who is capable of doing what you need done. look at pictures of their work. i know welding guys arent cheap, but you definitely dont want to hire an amateur to save a few bucks!

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
Russell Ashley

There is several different vendors who sell bolt in suspensions for TF trucks. Here's a pic of a Scott's bolt in in my 57. You will need to remove the front sheet metal and it's definitely best if the engine is removed, but other than that it's just a matter of drilling holes to bolt it in.

Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Buy a weld in, do all the disassembly, fit up, then call a certified welder to come to your house and weld it all up.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
OrrieG

Dan is correct. I can weld but always have some one certified do anything that related to holding the engine or suspension in place. I get stuff tacked in place and make the call or take the part to his shop. Hotshot type guys have all the tools on their trucks. Key is certification, ask for a copy with the invoice so you have in case the registration/title folks ask for it. Biggest issue is usually proper penetration, too little and stuff falls off, too much and stuff cracks. I once had a gypo contractor hire a welded that showed up to do full penetration moment welds with a small wire feed, said he was going to make multiple passes. Asked for certification and it was not current and not certified for the procedure. Contractor was mad when he found out that a real certified welder was going to cost 3x as much....
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
mr48chev

I did what Dan suggested on my own projects for years. I had a little Mickey Mouse welder from Wards that I tacked pieces together the way I wanted them and then took it to a friend who welded it up.

In your case you would have to have someone come to your garage to weld it up but the actual welding shouldn't cost all that much if you have it all ready to weld and not spend time cleaning it up or fitting the pieces. Most of these kits take a lot more time to get them fitted up right than actually welded up.

It would help if your garage is wired for a welder though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:37 AM   #7
Spank-a-lank

Ya thats what i was thinking the best option was. Idk if bolt on is the best idea. Dnt like the drilling on a frame idea
Spank-a-lank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
Russell Ashley

Do whatever you feel comfortable with, but I'd rather drill holes in the frame than to weld on it. GM might have felt that way too as Chevy and GM trucks had bolt in suspensions since about the late seventies.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
_Ogre

i don't know the price difference on the bolt-in vs weld-in, but if you can't/don't weld, bolt-in looks like a viable option
as for drilling holes in the frame? really? i believe i welded over 100 holes closed in my frame
rivets are the old version of bolts

i used a fatman weld in, but i know how to weld and had purchased a welder just for working on truk
spank-a-lank, post up some pics of your truck... 9 years on this forum and 26 posts
i'd like to see your 58, i'm sort of partial to those 4 eyed beauties

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #10
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

I wouldn't think twice about a bolt in if you can't weld. I wish that was an option when I started

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
Az. Hank

My brother cuts frames on big trucks welds them together then also drills the inner sleeve and bolts them. Never seen one break on our dump trucks.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #12
Gill 58 apache

I agree with 57 chevy man's comment "I dont know as far as bolt in kits,
but as far as the welding work, find someone with years of experience who is capable of doing what you need done. look at pictures of their work. i know welding guys arent cheap, but you definitely dont want to hire an amateur to save a few bucks!" always look at pictures of their work. i know several certified welders, but only one that has no use for a grinder to clean up welds. his work is beautiful and thats what you want on any restoration. although i can weld i call him when quality and good looks are needed in the welds.
Gill 58 apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #13
FirstNation

"Lightening holes are holes drilled in structural components of machines and buildings used by a variety of engineering disciplines to make structures lighter as well as increasing their rigidity".
The racers back in the days did it all the time, I wouldn't worry about drilling a few holes in your frame. Attached pic- airplane wings lightened for weight reduction and increased rigidity.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstNation; 03-27-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: pic added.
FirstNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #14
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i believe i welded over 100 holes closed in my frame
rivets are the old version of bolts
Most of the frames came punched for multiple spring hanger locations and other accessories. I was not ambitious enough to weld them all up, used them to brake, fuel line, and electrical clamps...

My engine and tranny mounts are drilled, installed with G8 bolts.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #15
_Ogre

all welded closed and boxed the full length

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:54 PM   #16
jremig

I have a 52 3100. I ordered a m-2 bolt in kit for it from Kimbridge enterprise, they made and sold bolt in kits through R&B's obsolete when they were still in business. Now they sell direct. Mine cost me about 1200.00 shipped to my door and included all needed bolts, nuts, washers, hoses, brake rotors etc. Not sure if they make for the task force though. Look them up on the net.

Joe
jremig is offline   Reply With Quote