The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2015, 11:58 PM   #1
undertaker72

Easter, trucks, and road trips

I HOPE THIS POST

Well, im going to tell a small story , so hang in there , im tired so my choice of words might be off, anyways , most of us here on the board have a love for the Chevrolet or g.m.c. trucks and I as you do , I have been in them since I was in diapers , I have had many tri fives , and apache pick-ups, but my love is 67-72 and 72 mostly , I have had a few and have a few more but we always have the quest, or challenge
Well owning my Cheyenne and a few other large hub 4x4s I had been looking for the right 4x4 shorty I have a sierra grande that’s a pretty loaded up truck , and a stepper , but your always after the quest or holy grail , and I guess its out there somewhere , but it’s the chase that’s some of the love ,in my looking I started sniffing around , about a month or so back I started a post of the early my or one of my early morning coffee /computors checks evilbay refer to link
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=656849
it was just one of those deals , I guess I needed something to do , so the story goes on about a couple weeks from that I started trolling around were I had seen a Cheyenne back in 80s finally found it parked in back drive and went knocking , asked if they had plans and might let it go, falls into the family story that it was the wifes grandpas (deceased)and he bought it new and they were thinking of restoring it someday , (do you know the word someday is actually 2 words and they don’t part mostly )he said he would half to talk with her and get back to me , were gong to call this truck Ol YELLER (org ocher truck)
any way I asked if I could check it out while there and he said sure , while hes walking out there to unlock he tells me of leaks and stuff wrong and how her g dad had it rebuilt and painted back in late 80s, but if she doesn’t want to sell , his dad has one up the road about a ½ mile but it’s a lot rougher , while im jaw droping and trying to refrain from slobber bouncing around on my shirt from my masculine girth , im asking about were he lives , he gives me the ph # and we talk more than he says he will let me know

Round three I call the kids father, we will call this truck RUSTY
, in talking to the father he says its old and rought come take a look im going to get rid of it some day , I drive up there , knock on the door , his wfe answers and I get last name and all shes telling me her husband needs to get a newere truck dosnt drive it much to rought and clunker she says buy it he needs to get rid of it , he finally comes to porch he was busy with boy scouts , tells me to go look, whie , talking and getting details im putting 2+2 togethe with names and what not I worked with his brother 20 some odd years back while on highway patrol , they had bought the truck the first part of 73 off the lot , wife liked the color , new ones coming out didn’t like the body style , got a good deal he said , you want it its worn out
He tells me a price we do a deal old fashioned way (no not knife in hand ) but a good handshake and a word , as I wanted to write a check for it and bring him green when picked up and take check , back , he says its yours don’t worry , so away I go , when home i tell the I made the deal on a truck , and the phones ringing , wife answers it and it’s a guy about a truck , in a sigh type voice (I think hes not going to do it , turns out it was the son, that owned OL YELLER he says he and hi wife talked and said they would let it go , I was starting to stumble and soil my laundry (lol), no the wifes really wondering , well it took a couple weeks to get them home , but there here , now another chapter
BIG SKY COUNTRY , link on board
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663130
Now as some of you were posting (dantip) and (71swb4x4) I was checking the local post and what not and on clist it was there , like a glowing hallo, then on the board (jocko ) was posting pictures , I was on the phone with (heather ) she was the owner , or seller/dealer of the we will call this truck the (EASTER EGG TRUCK) while im taking and checking things, out and shes e-mailing documents/photos and what not im shaking like a dog cocked at a fire hydrant , I have turned down a couple supers and I have two others but not the golden child , big block 2 wheels , 350 4 speed airs and what not , ive turned down a 70 mile away restored that didn’t have deuce doors and they gut was proud of his 500 dollar tool box , yes a knife throw for 500 bucks , anyway back to the easter egg truck , I asked and she already stated no way im firm , matter of fact thinking about pulling it , but I have a guy supposedly coming from billings in am to look ,
Well I asked her how come she doing that when im wanting to buy it I asked if she took paypal , and gave her a deposit , told here id leave tomorrow after work , this all going on at 9.20pm , and she has three phones and text going off/on about this damn truck , well its all done and home as I did a power trip again and have one of the ones that didn’t get away or I threw back , and yes 71blksuper4x4 it will stay this color and this truck is as tight as the queen mary , ill try posting picks in this blog but bear with me as this is on word format it does have some rust but it’s the patina and color combo that made me launch , this has hade the heart replace I got the original with it bought new from same man / permaplate/ matching spid /vin door/door jam everthing , cab lights might have to make me think , this thing still has the original houndstooth seat , I hope I find the build sheet and a pot of gold at the end of mine and your rain bow by the way , have a HAPPY EASTER , its just around the corner , is your truck?
Thanks for a great sight , great friends and sincer help , ps don’t make fun of the ford dually pulling this , it was a 30th anniversary present from the most loving and understanding wife of 34 years and many more
Thanks for the friendship , help and thoughts , thanks for a great truck site filled with vauluble ifo and help , many years to come , let me know your thoughts , sorry for bad grammer , im tired kevin
Attached Images

Last edited by undertaker72; 03-15-2015 at 12:53 AM.
undertaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:09 AM   #2
tommys72

Re: Easter, trucks, and road trips

Life is good huh! Nice additions to the family

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:12 AM   #3
undertaker72

well some gotta go , I have about 20 these just kind happen fast
Old 03-15-2015, 12:22 AM   #4
tommys72

20 of them...you have a good wife...you ready to move those seats and console yet? Haha

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:25 AM   #5
undertaker72

what would she drive the m-home with , not yet
Old 03-15-2015, 12:27 AM   #6
Nitis

Ok but you can only drive one at a time

I cant wait to see your plans for these
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:29 AM   #7
undertaker72

one for each day rain or snow
Old 03-15-2015, 12:48 AM   #8
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Wow! Nice score and thanks for sharing, it was good to read and follow along. I even see towhooks

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:52 AM   #9
undertaker72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
Wow! Nice score and thanks for sharing, it was good to read and follow along. I even see towhooks
that's whay if you noticed I sold two sets a week or so ago to fund part of the rusty and old yeller transactions , and they both had them , I was going down , the one has the exrem,e and reg , I think I asked you for a orphan or if you knew of one , makes the truck lop sided , if you here of one keep me in mind kevin
Old 03-15-2015, 01:04 AM   #10
redbaron

Glad you ended up with it. Dealing with long time owners can be trying at times. It only took me 16 years to get mine.
SWB K10 Cheyenne/Cheyenne Supers are the Holy Grail of the truck world in my book.
After having a lot of lowered hotrod C10 SWB pickups and muscle cars my wife's first words upon seeing the K10 was what do you see in that old farm truck.
1969 Camaro Protouring LS7 T-56 Project
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:13 AM   #11
undertaker72

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
Glad you ended up with it. Dealing with long time owners can be trying at times. It only took me 16 years to get mine.
SWB K10 Cheyenne/Cheyenne Supers are the Holy Grail of the truck world in my book.
After having a lot of lowered hotrod C10 SWB pickups and muscle cars my wife's first words upon seeing the K10 was what do you see in that old farm truck.
you got that right , my wife is very supporting , but shes a mustle head also , it takes 2 to make it work , I have few shorts but no super and ive weeded or let some go , due to either funding or not so legite , this truck has perma plate jack hardware in bag, has had the heart change but they gave me the original , ed hammer Chevrolet sold it and when the guy 78got it to 100 thought he better have it rebuilt they slaped a goodwrench in it , the gal I bought it from was a dealer and she was firm , she had 5 try five cameos on her palce she wooldnt budge a lunch , she had three people playing cards while I was getting deposit down , it is what it is , need to find a few things , it has had th qjet replaced with a edlebrock that going , I think ill flip the axles , lower it put air bags on and knock the top off make it look like a two wheel blazer , oh and buy 6 cans flat black rattle pain this babes going to be a rat rod , lol whats you thought thanks kevin
Old 03-15-2015, 01:30 AM   #12
redbaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertaker72 View Post
you got that right , my wife is very supporting , but shes a mustle head also , it takes 2 to make it work , I have few shorts but no super and ive weeded or let some go , due to either funding or not so legite , this truck has perma plate jack hardware in bag, has had the heart change but they gave me the original , ed hammer Chevrolet sold it and when the guy 78got it to 100 thought he better have it rebuilt they slaped a goodwrench in it , the gal I bought it from was a dealer and she was firm , she had 5 try five cameos on her palce she wooldnt budge a lunch , she had three people playing cards while I was getting deposit down , it is what it is , need to find a few things , it has had th qjet replaced with a edlebrock that going , I think ill flip the axles , lower it put air bags on and knock the top off make it look like a two wheel blazer , oh and buy 6 cans flat black rattle pain this babes going to be a rat rod , lol whats you thought thanks kevin
Hey yeah do make it into a rat rod...that's what all the cool kids are doing!!!
Grew up just north of Sheridan in SE Montana. Know all about Ed Hammer Chevrolet. Trying to remember if I ever seen your truck around there.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:36 AM   #13
undertaker72

Quote:
Hey yeah do make it into a rat rod...that's what all the cool kids are doing!!!
Grew up just north of Sheridan in SE Montana. Know all about Ed Hammer Chevrolet. Trying to remember if I ever seen your truck around there.
I stop buy at the dealer trying , YEA) to find another cowel tag to match the other , thought maybe some one might have one , they said good luck they are like a trophy that building is wild , I wish I had the sign that was over parts service area looked like the Chevrolet futureliner type material and very period to the building , salesman stated they had been same area buildings for over 80 years
Old 03-15-2015, 01:46 AM   #14
redbaron

Quote:
I stop buy at the dealer trying , YEA) to find another cowel tag to match the other , thought maybe some one might have one , they said good luck they are like a trophy that building is wild , I wish I had the sign that was over parts service area looked like the Chevrolet futureliner type material and very period to the building , salesman stated they had been same area buildings for over 80 years

Here is a picture of the dealer tag from Reno Nevada on mine. Not sure if I'm going to put it on the new NOS tailgate or not.

Thoughts???

Sorry about HI-Jacking your thread

Name:  DSC_0968.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  48.0 KB
Old 03-15-2015, 01:50 AM   #15
undertaker72

theres a guy here in Utah that has thm on both side of cowel from a local dealer in brigham city Utah , it just adds to the patina feel , I think , but im old fashioned they don't even make apot meatla type emblem nowdays everthings electroplated plastic , even old plate frameand lisence toppers are getting hard to land , id defently hang it if not the whole gat on the wall good man cave material
Old 03-15-2015, 02:00 AM   #16
redbaron

Quote:
theres a guy here in Utah that has thm on both side of cowel from a local dealer in brigham city Utah , it just adds to the patina feel , I think , but im old fashioned they don't even make apot meatla type emblem nowdays everthings electroplated plastic , even old plate frameand lisence toppers are getting hard to land , id defently hang it if not the whole gat on the wall good man cave material
Good idea...maybe we should make a shop bench out of it.

I'll check with some of my Montana relatives to see if they may know of any of the old Hammer tags around. My Uncle in Lodge Grass may be able to help.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:09 AM   #17
undertaker72

Quote:
Good idea...maybe we should make a shop bench out of it.

I'll check with some of my Montana relatives to see if they may know of any of the old Hammer tags around. My Uncle in Lodge Grass may be able to help.
that would be cool , I tried to find any junk yards but I need to get back home , thanks and keep me posted kevin
Old 03-15-2015, 02:14 AM   #18
Nitis

The old dealer stuff is really cool I have been trying to track down a license plate frame from a long gone dealer in my home town. Even the owners kids dont have any we just want to find one and get some repopped
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #19
71swb4x4

I am glad to see you got it. That would have been my holy grail of trucks; that is my favorite color combination and being a SWB 4x4 Cheyenne Super adds to that. I felt like that one got away, but it helps immensely knowing the truck is staying "on the board" and going to such a great kind, gentle hearted, handsome fellow truck enthusiast. By the way, if you ever sell that one, let me know.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #20
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Strong work Kevin!! Glad the truck went to a good home. Great truck!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote