The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2015, 12:38 AM   #1
RamboHern

Cost to keep stock front suspension and brakes

My front end is pretty much completely shot. Half of the parts are missing and some of the back plate is rusted away. I was wanting to know what would be my best option on getting this thing set up. I'll keep the solid axle and leaves, but want to go 5 lug on the front. Should I just go with a disc brake conversion or what are my other options? Also, if I do get the front disc brake conversion what are some good sites to look at?
Old 03-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: Cost to keep stock front suspension and brakes

I'd be checking with the guys that are already ditching the stock front end. Plenty of times those parts go to scrap when the owner has no use for them.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:09 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

^^^^ Yup!^^^^

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
mr48chev

I'd agree with what 1project2many said.

You might have to drive a ways but start checking Craigslist and the little nickle papers for front suspension and brake parts. Also keep on the alert for shops that are doing a lot of S-10 frame swaps or MII style swaps. You might be able to get the deal of the week on some good pieces and maybe even on an axle that already had a five lug disk brake swap. Enlist your buddy at the parts house for word on someone doing a swap that might have left over pieces.

New spring bushings, king pins and other pieces aren't all that expensive when you go and compare them to the pieces you would need to rebuild an A frame front suspension. It works out pretty close to the same cost for rebuild parts when you get done. Tube shocks run about the same price for anything depending on the quality of shock you get.

Before you start laying out money sit down and make out a list of the parts you might need or will need and then do some comparison shopping for those parts though at least three sources. Check what your local or closest Napa store has and what it is priced at and then go from there. Sometimes they have the bushings and king pins on stock or can get them overnight and it might save you several bucks in shipping from one of the online vendors. Rockauto.com is a good source for parts if they have them as they are very competitive in price most of the time. If you have the part number check Amazon as they list a lot of pieces that other vendors stock along with what they stock. I buy a bunch of stuff for my OT rigs from them at a big saving on top line brands.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
nvrdone

If you find a 6 lug axle with brakes set grab it. Then find a set of 52 - 54 ? chevy passenger car 5 lug drums. Install a roller bearing set & install them. Cheapest conversion Ive done
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote