The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Stepside6.5

65 C10 Front Backing plate removal

Gentlemen,

I am at a crossroads on removing the front drum brakes and swapping to Disc. I have everything removed on both sides except for the front bolt that hold the backing plate on. I have the nuts off of each one but they are not moving. I do have another question the rear bolts on the backing plates came out with little issue and are both threaded through the steering knuckle are the front two threaded through the steering knuckle?

Thanks,
Rick
Stepside6.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
pimpston65

Re: 65 C10 Front Backing plate removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside6.5 View Post
Gentlemen,

I am at a crossroads on removing the front drum brakes and swapping to Disc. I have everything removed on both sides except for the front bolt that hold the backing plate on. I have the nuts off of each one but they are not moving. I do have another question the rear bolts on the backing plates came out with little issue and are both threaded through the steering knuckle are the front two threaded through the steering knuckle?

Thanks,
Rick
the front backing plate is held in place by a mounting bolt thingie, the holds the wheel cylinder, as well. along with the two bolts near the center of the backing plate. those two bolts are not threaded through the spindle only the nuts hold them on.
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
Stepside6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
the front backing plate is held in place by a mounting bolt thingie, the holds the wheel cylinder, as well. along with the two bolts near the center of the backing plate. those two bolts are not threaded through the spindle only the nuts hold them on.
Glad to hear it sounds like I need to put the nut back on to protect the threads and us a BAH and hammer away. I have everything off except those two bolts. Just wanted to make sure I was not going to mess up any threads. I did not see anything in the service manual.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
pimpston65

Quote:
Glad to hear it sounds like I need to put the nut back on to protect the threads and us a BAH and hammer away. I have everything off except those two bolts. Just wanted to make sure I was not going to mess up any threads. I did not see anything in the service manual.

Thanks
did you spray a bit of penetrating oil to loosen the rust abit.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
Stepside6.5

Yes I spryed them throughout the afternoon. I soaked them good tonight and will hit them again in the morning. Took the day off because it's suppose to be the nicest day of the year so far.

Rick
Old 03-15-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
pimpston65

Quote:
Yes I spryed them throughout the afternoon. I soaked them good tonight and will hit them again in the morning. Took the day off because it's suppose to be the nicest day of the year so far.

Rick
yea it was very nice, we hit the st pattys day parade. last year it snowed!!!