The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
CTENTA1
Registered 1971 K5

American Automotive Wire vs Painless?

Anyone have experience with these kits.

Painless

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/10206

American Automotive Wire

http://www.americanautowire.com/shop...-1969-72-truck

I'm trying to route (hide) my wires in the engine compartment as much as possible for the cleanest look. Can anyone tell me what kit I'm better off getting to accomplish this.
CTENTA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
knomadd

Re: American Automotive Wire vs Painless?

I can't speak for the Painless kit, but I have that AAW kit in my 71. It comes with extra length wires so you can run it wherever you want, but you have to terminate the ends for all connections, like lights, horn, fuel sender, etc. The fuse box is basically the only terminated end of each wire. If you've ever done any wiring, it's a simple install. Just take your time.

I went with AAW because of price mainly. It's a very good quality product that isn't so well known that their prices are still decent. You're basically paying extra for the name with the Painless kit.

edit: I see the AAW kit is just as expensive as the Painless kit... I guess go with whichever you feel more comfortable.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
CTENTA1
Registered 1971 K5

That's exactly what I'm after. Something that gives me a little more wire to get creative in routing them. AAW is actually more $.

Good looking out, knomadd!

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
knomadd

If you shop around you can find it cheaper. There are vendors on here that you can get a deal from. I wouldn't pay what either of them are asking for those kits on their websites.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 03-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
knomadd

I bought mine from here:
http://www.carolinaclassictrucks.com...-truck-harness
You might get a better deal from a vender on here though.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 03-20-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
knomadd

Try these threads:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645733
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=642579

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 03-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
RogerKoop

I sell this harness if interested. Let me know
Old 03-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
Carmen Black

I installed this kit in a '71 and if I ever do another wiring project, I will absolutely choose autowire. You can tell the team that wrote the instructions actually had lots of experience installing this kit. Every time I thought I was going to face a problem, the problem would just magically solve itself. You can tell these guys had been there before and already had it worked out in the instructions. If you just follow the instructions and go slow, you will get there.

Now the bad. The kit hooks to the truck perfectly, but does not hook to the old harness at all. You can't do the cab one week, the engine the following week and then wait to do the bed next month. Once you are in it, you have to go all the way. There is no way to break the project up. It takes about 20 hours if you try to keep with wiring clean.

Also, expect to spend money on a good amount of wire loom. I did not purchase their crimpers because they were expensive. I just bought some generic ones at Lowes. It worked, but some of my crimps were kind of hacked up looking.

I also had to upgrade my alternator. My old one would just drain the battery as soon as I hooked a wire to it. I can't remember exactly why, but if you look around the board it is probably talked about. And the kit does not support the ammeter. Something about the upgraded alternator being too powerful for the gauge. No one can tell it is not hooked up though since an ammeter doesn't really move anyway.

However, I will say that once I was done and hooked up the battery, everything just worked, which shocked the crap out of me. I didn't have to chase down any loose wires or other gremlins.

Last edited by Carmen Black; 03-20-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Carmen Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #9
57larry

I have wired several vehicles using both. My choice would be AAW.
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #10
Rod Run

I've installed a couple of painless kits in other cars and have all good things to say about them. I've also used Street & Performance kits with excellent results too, but mainly in fuel injected cars

I'm putting an AAW kit in my truck, only because I scored a brand new 21 circuit harness "Made for our trucks" for $225.00

First look, it seems like the painless kit had much better instructions ( if you need them) and more of a plug and play type of deal. AAW seems to be much more generic of a kit, but that can be a plus too.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #11
BigMike

I have the painless kit, it also has longer wires that you cut down. If I had to do it over again though I think I would go with a Ron Francis kit, also our truck specific.

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=XP-754
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #12
54belair

Ive used E Z Wire kits a few times-----wires are all marked, long and color coded. But, you do have to terminate each end.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #13
jmking9

I have a little experience with both Painless, and AAW harnesses in these trucks. They are both good products. I would give the AAW kit the slight edge. I felt like the directions were better, and the kit was slightly more complete. If you do the AAW kit, you can rent all the different crimpers you'll need from them for around $25 (2 yrs ago anyway). You can't go wrong with either one though.
BTW You can get the AAW kit on Ebay right now shipped for around $494.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #14
bbcmudtruck

I've got an AAW kit and would recommend it to anyone needing to redo their wiring. As far not being able to break the project up into different parts, I did and don't understand why you couldn't. I wired my cab forward and still have everything in the box for the bed rearwards. I also have 6 aftermarket Autometer gauages in my dash and this kit worked great. I would spring for the extra circuits in the fuse box as well. Never know when you will need them. I'm completely satisfied with the AAW kit!
bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #15
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Lets not forget that there is a big difference between the AAW 21 circuit kit which is generic in nature and the AAW 'Classic Update' kit which is specifically made for our trucks.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #16
bbcmudtruck

Good point Tom! I know my kit is specific for the 67-72 trucks, however it has extra fuse circuits. Also forgot to mention that the wires are labeled about every inch the entire length of the wire. Very handy to be able to read a wire when your under the engine bay, rather then climb out and chase it down to figure out what it is.
bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #17
snj8198

I installed AAW's 18 circuit "Classic Update" harness in my '71 a few years ago. It was the best upgrade I made to the truck so far. Motor, trans, other goodies took a back seat to the wiring gremlins I was experiencing. All supplied terminations made the install a breeze; in fact, the hardest thing about the install was making up my mind for routing. As for the rear end harness, I mounted a junction box on the rear cross member and made tail end mods like a flat bed swap, or trailer plugs a breeze without having to spice and resplice. This is my only harness install experienve but i feel confident i could do it again easier.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #18
1stchevy

Do you guys feel like an amateur without hardly any wiring experience could install the AAW classic update harness? I've got that harness and I bought the crimp tools. I've been waiting on warmer weather to start on the installation.
1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #19
hpcgmc

Anyone with experience with the Ron Francis kit have any input? It looks like this kit uses a really big fuse block, that mounts in a different location then the hole in the firewall. This is a plus for me, since my truck is a 67 and I'd have to enlarge the hole in the firewall.

Are the terminal ends already crimped to the proper connectors for headlights, etc, or do you need to crimp them on? How about the ends on the AAW kit and the painless kit?
Old 03-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #20
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcmudtruck View Post
Good point Tom! I know my kit is specific for the 67-72 trucks, however it has extra fuse circuits. Also forgot to mention that the wires are labeled about every inch the entire length of the wire. Very handy to be able to read a wire when your under the engine bay, rather then climb out and chase it down to figure out what it is.
Most of the bigger manufacturers out there, label their wires like that now. That is definitely not specific to AAW.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #21
Rod Run

I remember a friend of mine tried to save some money on a harness one time. We were putting together his '37 Chevy business coupe and he shows me the harness... all the wires were black. Talk about a nightmare job.

A couple of years later, he had me wire up his Vintage Air unit and all the terminal ends were already falling off the wires. After that I never let anyone buy cheap harnesses if they expected me to help them.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #22
snj8198

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stchevy View Post
Do you guys feel like an amateur without hardly any wiring experience could install the AAW classic update harness? I've got that harness and I bought the crimp tools. I've been waiting on warmer weather to start on the installation.
Yep, AAW breaks the install down into sections and walk a guy through it. It's really a breeze. Lay the whole thing out, take your time, and maybe keep your old harness for referencing component placement just in case you get a little twisted up. As others are saying, every wire is completely color coded and labeled every 10 inches or so, and all the connectors are stock replacements so things cant get installed backwards.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #23
CTENTA1
Registered 1971 K5

Thanks everyone, lots of great feedback for us all.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:19 AM   #24
jacmac926

I'm doing an aaw kit in my 67 right now going very well I ordered mine from summit and it was cheaper then painless.also many people on here as well as I have spoke to recommended aaw and I have no regrets. When u do the install u do have to modify the firewall opening.
jacmac926 is offline   Reply With Quote