The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
hplacecf

Dome and Gauge cluster lights not working

hi.

1957 3600.

I got it a couple of months ago and have been working through some issues and things over time.

gauge cluster lights and the dome light do not light up - never have since I have had it.

now, the other night I was turning the headlight switch clockwise and counter clockwise (thinking maybe someone had it turned it all the way down, or maybe there was a loose connection) and after doing this a couple of times the lights all worked! hooray!

but, I turned it again and it has not worked since (no matter how many times I turn it now). oh man....

so, I think I have figured out 'where' the issue might be (this switch/dial circuitry), but I am not sure what to do to fix it.

is it something that can just be cleaned of crud between metal contacts? and if yes, how does one do that?

or is there something that needs to be replaced? and if yes, exactly what do I replace?

thanks in advance.
hplacecf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Dome and Gauge cluster lights not working

the fuse for the dash lights is on the switch, the rheostat for the brightness is probably bad
since most of us run full bright anyway you can wire it direct to the headlights

the dome light is grounded on the headlight switch, i believe the power is off the switch brake circuit irc
pull the dome bulb; one side should be hot all the time, the ground wire goes to white-ground for dome light on the headlight switch
the switch is mechanical and in full view with the switch out of the dash
try pulling the switch and throw a meter on the contacts and rheostat
replacing the switch is the only way to replace the rheostat, but getting a good repop sometimes takes a few switches

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #3
hplacecf

Re: Dome and Gauge cluster lights not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
the fuse for the dash lights is on the switch, the rheostat for the brightness is probably bad
since most of us run full bright anyway you can wire it direct to the headlights

the dome light is grounded on the headlight switch, i believe the power is off the switch brake circuit irc
pull the dome bulb; one side should be hot all the time, the ground wire goes to white-ground for dome light on the headlight switch
the switch is mechanical and in full view with the switch out of the dash
try pulling the switch and throw a meter on the contacts and rheostat
replacing the switch is the only way to replace the rheostat, but getting a good repop sometimes takes a few switches

Ogre,

many thanks!
hplacecf is offline   Reply With Quote