The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2015, 01:33 AM   #1
Skunksmash

Well my exhaust is rotting off

So apparently I need a new exhaust system. Is there somewhere I can get one for cheap? Its rotting off of there lol. I'd like to add a mini cat instead of that big ol factory whopper that's under there. Should I be concerned about the inlet/outlet size of the mini cat that I buy? Or will the exhaust shop be able to handle it if its bigger?
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:33 AM   #2
Chrispbrown36

Re: Well my exhaust is rotting off

Cheapest way to do it is piece it together yourself. If you just want the basics with pipe, clamps, basic muffler and a high flow cat I would say you could probably do it for under 200. If I remember correctly basic parts were: cheapest muffler $29, cheapest cat $78, cheapest pipe $25 or so and the clamps are like $3 a piece. You could skip the tail pipe and buy a 2-3 foot straight piece which shouldn't run you more than $10 and use the exhaust strap stuff to hold it all on there. It will also depend on how far up it is rusted too. That's about as basic as you can get and you should be able to buy all of that from any local auto parts store. You can find cheaper prices online for all of it if you look around. If you have to have the cat for show and they don't actually test it you can buy fake cats for cheaper than the real thing, but I don't know the laws in your area.
The inlet outlet size on any of it will be dictated by the size of your motor and what you are looking for. If you just want a basic exhaust then I would guess 2 or 2.5 in and out on everything. If you want to see performance gains then everything is going to cost you more. And you don't have to go to a performance cat back system for 500+ to see gains, but it still will add to the cost. As always, doing it yourself is cheaper than a exhaust shop.
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Liberty

What year is the truck? If it was built before 84 the cat isn't considered part of the emissions system and can be removed legally with no replacement.
Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
Hiluxxulih

I bought a cat back system from auto zone and was pretty cheap and good too .
Old 03-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

I am amazed by how many excellent exhaust systems I see at the pick an pull junkyards - some look brand new, due to no salt in sw desert. I would check there first. Plus, you can pick up all of the hangers and do-dads to go with it. Some people have a new exhaust installed just before they junk the vehicle, when the engine or trans blows shortly thereafter. If you need a cat you can pick up one of those also.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote