The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
71chebbysb

Father n Son 71 Short Bed

My son and I have finally moved the truck into the garage to get started. It barely ran good enough to pull it in. PO says blown head gaskets and I would agree but it probably isn't the only issue. I love pics of projects as much as the next guy so I will try to always be pic heavy.

Our plan for this truck is to take it off the frame and fix all the rust in the body panels, refresh the motor and tranny and put it mostly back into stock form. We plan to lower the stance but not slammed and bagged. My son hasn't quite made up his mind on the body moldings, but he definitely wants it RED and I totally agree with that. I don't plan to spend a ton of money on making it perfect (that will be hard for the engineer in me to not do) but we will obviously be making everything safe. Enjoy the pics.
Attached Images

71chebbysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #2
71chebbysb

Re: Father n Son 71 Short Bed

Got the bed off this weekend. For some crazy reason the PO had installed a Gooseneck hitch in the truck and did quite a horrible job of it. It is actually welded to the frame, but not very well so it should be easy to grind off the welds and remove the hitch. The frame and trailing arms are in good shape.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
71chebbysb

Removed the hood and cowl this weekend also. The cowl and hood are both in pretty nice condition too. Just a few little spots of surface rust under the cowl.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
71chebbysb

Pulled the seat and random crap out of the interior. Except for the one really crappy panel that was sorta welded in the floor on the driver's side, the floor of the cab is really pretty solid. The door sills and rockers are a different story, they are in pretty bad shape and somebody did a pretty bad job of welding in a patch panel that will be getting removed and done the right way. Luckily they only did one side and gave me the patch panel for the other side.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
71chebbysb

I think my son learned a lot this weekend and we are barely even started. I'm going to try to document this as much as I can so he can always look back on this. I don't have many pictures of the days where me and my dad were building my 67 Camaro (no I don't still have it, sold it when I was in college and don't want to talk about it).
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
71chebbysb

The doors are decent but have some cracks near the front and back of the window. Looks like a repair was started but not well done or complete. Is this a common problem with the doors?
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #7
71chebbysb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chebbysb View Post
The doors are decent but have some cracks near the front and back of the window. Looks like a repair was started but not well done or complete. Is this a common problem with the doors?
I guess when I have a real pressing question, I will start a new thread and explicitly ask the question.

Anyway, we made some more progress this weekend. Finally got the front clip off after having to take the sawzall to a couple bolts between the inner and outer fender of both sides.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
71chebbysb

Forgot to give my son some props. He has been spending quite a bit of time helping me. Not quite the enthusiasm that I had at his age, but I didn't have an iPhone and an Xbox either.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
71chebbysb

Spent some time cleaning up the engine bay. The amount of hoses and crap on this AC is crazy. I plan to simplify this as much as possible when we put this back together. I guess I may go with the Vintage Air for factory AC, but we plenty of time to think about that.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #10
71chebbysb

Haven't updated in a while, but we have been making a little more progress each weekend. A friend of mine has access to a high temp pressure washer ("Hotsy" as he calls it) so we pulled out most everything from the dash, squeezed the truck on my trailer (clears by less than an inch) and headed to his place to give the engine bay and cab a bath.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #11
71chebbysb

Man, that Hotsy does an incredible job, Areas that were covered in grease and grime are just clean metal now. It isn't perfect but it sure is a lot less to deal with while we finish tearing this baby apart.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #12
flashed

I dont know how I missed this one but Im in for the rest .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #13
71chebbysb

Finally got around to pulling out the heater core and AC. I am starting to suspect that this AC was added in. The vent holes in the dash don't look factory cut and neither do the holes where the heater hoses pass through the firewall.

Does anyone know if the SPID specifically calls out Air Conditioning if a truck has it? Mine does not, but I thought that "CUST COMF & CONV EQ" could possibly have included AC. Any ideas??
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #14
flashed

Mine was a non A/C truck and it looked different from yours ,I bet yours is factory.If you dont plan to re use those A/C parts they are worth selling to someone that wants factory stuff .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #15
71chebbysb

I was guessing that I hadn't posted anything since April. Not only have I not posted but we have barely done anything since then. Between mowing the yard, camping, boating and football, we haven't gotten much done at all. We did remove the bumper and the class 3 hitch plus that ridiculous goose neck hitch that the PO installed (rigged). Finally got around to pulling the motor out. Looks like we have a 76-82 350 4 bolt main. Here are a few pics. As the weather cools off a bit I hope that we can start making some progress. My son's football practice Mon-Thur and Friday night games kill the weekday progress.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #16
Tropical Snowstorm
Lurky lurky

What part of East TN? My family and I just moved up to Maryville from Columbia, SC. Looks like a great biuld, I'm probably about 12-13 years from this with my toddler son
Tropical Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:05 PM   #17
71chebbysb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Snowstorm View Post
What part of East TN? My family and I just moved up to Maryville from Columbia, SC. Looks like a great biuld, I'm probably about 12-13 years from this with my toddler son
I'm in Loudon County, right next door to Murville.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:00 AM   #18
71Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chebbysb View Post
Between mowing the yard, camping, boating and football, we haven't gotten much done at all. My son's football practice Mon-Thur and Friday night games kill the weekday progress.
I completely understand how other things in life get in the way of the build. I'm also at the beginning stage of a father son build. I agree weekdays are shot and now that college football has started, prying my son away from the TV is near impossible on Saturdays. Unlike him I would spend a lot of my free time on the truck but that would defeat the objective of teaching him some basic skills.
71Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:24 AM   #19
Nitis

When I was a kid we had a 68 that we got from the original owner and was bought in our small town dealer ahen it arrived at the dealer it didn't have AC but was supposed to and the dealer installed factory air not the under dash crap. I wish I could remember the SPID but I cant

Looks like it was originally white red white red?
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #20
71chebbysb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Sleeper View Post
I completely understand how other things in life get in the way of the build. I'm also at the beginning stage of a father son build. I agree weekdays are shot and now that college football has started, prying my son away from the TV is near impossible on Saturdays. Unlike him I would spend a lot of my free time on the truck but that would defeat the objective of teaching him some basic skills.
Yep, I'm with you on that, I try not to do any work without involving my son, sometimes it is just fetching me a wrench, but that is still a teaching moment that hardly any of his friends will ever get.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #21
71chebbysb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitis View Post
When I was a kid we had a 68 that we got from the original owner and was bought in our small town dealer ahen it arrived at the dealer it didn't have AC but was supposed to and the dealer installed factory air not the under dash crap. I wish I could remember the SPID but I cant

Looks like it was originally white red white red?
I am no expert on these trucks, but I didn't see anything that pointed to non-factory AC, until I started tearing it down. Yes, the original colors were red/white/red.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #22
71chebbysb

High's were only in the 70's this weekend so we got some work done on the 71. Got the firewall cleaned up, steering column and everything else out of the cab. Now we just need to get the glass out and this cab will be ready to take off and head to the blaster.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #23
CC69Rat

Nice project ! Where you guys from? ( what part of TN? )

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #24
71Sleeper

Same here with the weather being in the upper 70's low 80's today. Was a great day to work on the truck. You guys made some good progress today. The glass is a PITA to get out.
71Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #25
71chebbysb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Nice project ! Where you guys from? ( what part of TN? )
We are in Loudon County. About an hour (I drive really fast) up I-75 from you.