The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2003, 12:41 PM   #1
Rdrdave
Broke and still trying

Question Converting 4x4 to 2wd

I'm tired of my K5 and want to slam and bag it. How difficult is it to convert the front? The rear would be easy. I have welding skills and I am in no rush so time is not a problem. Is it as simple as getting the front suspension clip off of a 2wd and drilling a couple of holes or are the frames just completely different? Any help is greatly appreciated. If i don't do it I'll sell it as it is currently.

1973 K5 with crate 350
1968 LWB 3"-4" drop and chrome rallys. Saving for 450hp sb. Why does everything have to cost $$$.
Attached Images

Rdrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 06:00 PM   #2
76bonanza

dont destroy a good 4x4 just buy a new truck or sell your 4x4 and get a 2x2. Around my area a good 4x4 will bring much better dollar then a 2x2.

Just my 2 cents
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 12:46 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

76bonanza has a point, although I wouldn't call it "destroy" by converting to 2wd. You might save some time hassle and money by selling your 4wd and buying a 2wd. If you don't want that option, then yes it will all "almost" bolt in. You will need a good donor truck to get everything from the steering box down from though....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:52 AM   #4
SCOTI

Advertise your parts to swap or get a complete front suspension from a 1/2 ton truck @ a local recycle yard.

If you love your 'old truck' but want a new look for it, I say do it (unless you can find someone willing to pay what you want for yours & can get a great deal on a similar truck that's 2-wheel drive/in better shape). Full convertible blazers are cool.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 11:43 AM   #5
Rdrdave
Broke and still trying

Here in California people pay alot for things. I can't believe how inexpensive some vehicles are in other states. I'm sitting on the conversion for now. Just pondering the idea. Doing something like that takes planning because if you don't, you end up with a box of parts. My wife has just given the go ahead to buy a Richmond 5 speed so I'm pretty excited. The K5 will have to wait or get sold. THanks to everyone for their input. Any other suggestions or comments are appreciated.
Rdrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 06:30 PM   #6
bagged78
world class smart ass!

Full top 2wds are hard to come by in good shape.. Buy a junky 1/2 ton 2wd, all you would need is the front x-member complete with all steering componants, steering box, tranny x-member, and tranny, maybe a new driveshaft, and maybe some misc bracketry... Would be pretty bad ass to see that thing on the ground!!!!!
Good luck, and keep us up to date..

75 2WD BLAZER (never ending project)
-some day maybe-
02 2500HD CREW CAB 4X (daily drive)
-8" lift 37s and 22s-

____ ____________________________
bagged78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 09:02 AM   #7
77bowtie

Your not the only one. I'm changing my K to a C also. Except that I want to keep a solid/straight front axle. I've been trying to find out which if any 50's straight or dropped axle will have the same track as the Dana-44 on my truck. Otherwise I'll just wait and build a complete axle assy on my own latter. I do want to keep my disc brakes and 6-hole wheels. I've already pulled the X-fer case and the M-465 tranny out, put in a Summit TH-400, & added 2" to the drive shaft. Now to find an axle.
77bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote