The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
qksilver

1/2 verse 3/4 parts questions

I have been assembling some of my miscellaneous parts trucks into whole usable/sell-able trucks.

I have a 86 3/4 gmc complete running without a bed. Various things are rusted and need to be replaced. Body some rust, engine trans great, fuel lines and brake lines and hoses etc are not in good enough condition for me.

I have a nice 87 1/2 fully optioned great body and over all good condition except nor motor or trans and a cut up engine wiring harness.

The 3/4 is your basic truck with very little options and was a county maintenance truck. No air etc just 350/turbo 400 p/s p/b and base 3/4 load rear springs.

The 1/2 has nice factory red paint, fully optioned.

I want to make one truck so I can use it for towing and sell my 385,000 miles 99 3/4 suburban with the original 7.4/480le. Nothing rebuilt just maintenance stuff. It tows ok but is worn out, I want to sell it while it is still running.

Are the 3/4 and 1/2 frames the same?

are fuel injection lines (87) to the dual tanks the same as mechanical fuel lines to the dual tanks(86)

Are the brake lines the same? I think/know the brake booster and master cylinder are different. I am going to put hydro boost on it.

I am going to go thru all the replacement parts for the front end and replace the bushings in the rear leaf springs plus brake hoses.

I want to swap all the 86 stuff(3/4) onto the 87(1/2) .

I have a set of NOS fuel tanks, new 3/4 brake hoses and a rear air bag set up. The 3/4 truck looks like it has the same spring pack as the 1/2 with one extra leaf, no over load springs at all but it is an original 3/4 8 lug truck with a service body which I sold long ago.

Please help me because I want to do this quickly and have everything ready to go. I used to have a bunch of 73-87 3/4 trucks and parts but needed room and scrapped a whole lot. Yes, hydrolic clutch set ups still in the trucks(4) 2 3:42 rears and nice stuff. I was into 67-72 stuff and never ealized that stuff was rare.

Thanks for the coming help and advice

Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
FarmerDale

Re: 1/2 verse 3/4 parts questions

I feel qualified to answer only one of your questions related to this swap and that regards the fuel lines. I'm restoring an '87 V10 and it seemed to be impossible to find a new set of FI fuel lines. Oddball year and line routing is different because FI fuel pump is in gas tank. So I reused the original lines, but have a new set for carbureted engine resting in a box in the shop. PM if interested.
FarmerDale is offline   Reply With Quote