The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2015, 12:24 AM   #1
leddzepp

Vintage truck bed tool boxes

Haven't seen a thread addressing in bed tool boxes. I have been looking for a bed mounted tool box for my 68 for a while. It had one at some point way back in its life, and I figure I may as well utilize the holes that already exist on top of the bed rails and be able to have tools/equipment on hand. I finally found one on C/L for $20. Has gull-wing side doors with paddle handles, heavy liftsprings that will never wear out (no gas loaded struts), and a nice sliding tray for wrenches. Plans are to strip it, POR it (has plenty of wear and some rust) and paint it with a white epoxy. It weighs a TON, and I noticed an immediate change in my ride quality as well...no more rear end hop I really like that the rounded contours of the box lids match the contours of the wrap-around rear bumper
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:25 AM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Vintage truck bed tool boxes

Pic
Attached Images

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
Old 03-29-2015, 12:26 AM   #3
leddzepp

Another
Attached Images

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
Old 03-29-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
PAWS 72

I like the old boxes like that. Wish they still made them.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:39 AM   #5
SS Tim

Might just have to consider trading you my "patina" white box. Been on there since it was sold new in 76. Even have the original keys.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

now you're talking my language (I'm fluent in several truck tongues). The ones shown are the better boxes often offered by truck body companies...service/utility beds, high side boxes, flip top boxes, steel tool caps/canopies/toppers, etc. There are more trim/lower profile ones but not quite the quality, though good enough. I have always had some sort of tool storage on at least one of my trucks and have watched as the industry has passed on from these great boxes to plastic crap to the latest trend in diamond plate aluminum. I started off building my own wooden boxes from cedar, redwood, or teak, then moved on to the store bought steel. There has not been a better box offered than these old steel boxes. I think people went away from them because the white paint on most was inferior BS that scratched or didn't seal allowing surface rust to start. I always blasted mine down and painted body color, or white if it lent to the overall scheme. I guess one could be powder coated, but I never did. I did have a set of flip-top side mounted painted and could not for the life of me strip that factory electro-something or other coating off. Pretty sure it was their fancy word for powder coat. Those were made by Reading, my preferred company. their metal goes through a process they call galvaneel. Another fancy name, probably for zinc plating.

I grabbed an el cheapo p.o.s. diamond plate flip-top one at TSC that is now on my '72. I hate it. it was originally on my blue & white Highlander and the intention was to dismantle and have powder coated white. Hardly worth it. I'd like to see about finding one like show. We used to have a truck body shop right here in Mt. Airy who supplied the region with Reading, omaho Standard, and all the quality truck upfit equipment. I'd probably be working there now if the economy hadn't put them under. I was friends with the owner. They pretty much exclusively did the work on new trucks for dealerships and I was the guy coming in to order beds for 20-30 year old restored and just pain used trucks, and he dug that. I would put a $4500 service body on a $2000 truck...after going through it and making it like new

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-29-2015 at 09:34 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
kamikazekyle05

My grampa has the same toolbox on his 72
kamikazekyle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:05 AM   #8
leddzepp

Tim (1)- what an awesome pic! Who is the manufacturer of your box? This one is Rawson TMF, out of DFW Texas. I would have thought it a Harbor, but it still has the warranty sticker inside, as well as their name stamped into the paddles. I don't think you want to trade yours for this one, it is pretty well used and abused...but still functions. No keys, but the lock mechanism looks easy to replace.

Tim (2) I figured you would have a lot of info on these, and you sure do! The diamond plate boxes looked out of place on the truck, and most I saw for sale were beat to death and non functional. The plastic ones can be popped open and just are not durable enough. I really liked weather guard brand boxes, low profile and very secure and well built. Most of them were really high priced and had no keys though and they also look too modern for a 68 IMO. I'm glad I ran across this one. Painting it white will tie it in to the truck nicely, along with white bumpers and white W/C Jr. Mirrors

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
Old 03-30-2015, 08:01 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I have alot to say about most anything...right? Don't get me going on spring fashion

Yeah, that'll look just right in line with the white top. I think my p.o.s. was about $150, so not a lot for that extra storage...tools most of the time, but folding cot and ez-up, etc for swap meets. Those locks are universal and for sure are available at any truck body works. that's a good one with the name on the paddle. you guys have different brands than us back here...except I believe you have my favorite from here, Reading

I like a sleek truck, but on one for utility it's cool to "outfit" as needed. can't beat that extra dry secure storage. They sure get carried away with the diamond plate saddle boxes these days. some look like a dang coffin. That's what I call them, anyway. I haven't seen a good ole steel one in a good while. I got away from them when I started doing aluminum/vinyl siding due to the 12'+ boxes. This aluminum one pops right off (j-bolts) and I can carry it alone just fine (empty!)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
SS Tim

Just went out and looked hard at the box. No name to be found inside or out. While a quality period product it seems like something Wards, Sears or Western Auto would have stocked.

Not too sure I could part with it either. :-)

Thanks, we are very happy with that shot. The truck makes a good stage, backdrop and containment for many of my dog pictures. Here is another everyone might enjoy (with a lot of the box too).
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #11
SS Tim

Here are a couple of pictures you might like.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

I'll take a dozen of each. Can I get a discount? Those prices seem a dollar or two too high. I'd have to work an extra hour this week to make it up

Tim

Old 03-31-2015, 12:44 AM   #13
leddzepp

Thanks for the pic! If I could find two of (D) above I would probably run them instead. A jeep I used to own had similar style saddle boxes. Hit the top half with some white epoxy, will let it cure, then flip it over and finish it.
Attached Images

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
Old 03-31-2015, 09:05 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

That epoxy paint came out nice and glossy. Gonna look great! Those "D"s are totallly cool. I've had ones that only sit a couple inches above the bed with a chrome T-handle. They look great. Can't put much in there, but beats a blank and are nice and styleesh. Since we are talking tool boxes...and there is only so much to say (and just we few in on it) I'll show a couple pictures of the flip-tops I've had on some of my trucks. I had a big Golden Retriever who rode with me everywhere. Too bad no pictures of him in his seat:
Attached Images

Tim

Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

High side boxes. Not the most fashionable, but hold a lot for work or play, and can become a camper easily with tarp across the top. Of course, the ladder racks also make that possible:
Attached Images

Tim

Old 03-31-2015, 09:55 PM   #16
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Nice tool box Scott! Nice pups Tim!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:22 PM   #17
'68OrangeSunshine

Here is mine. Came with the truck ['68 C/10 Stepside] when I bought it in 1973. Possible dealer accessory option. Painted 516 Orange, just like truck.
Holds a lot of stuff, including a 5 Gal Justrite safety can, 18'' Craftsman toolbox w/ the works, flares, coveralls, sixpack carrier w/WD40, Carb spray, Brake cleaner, windex, armorall etc. Extra bottles of 30 Weight. E-Tool, tow line, snow chains in season. All kinds o' stuff. Might be the main reason I'm still on the road.
Pretty sure it's original from when truck was first sold.
Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:56 PM   #18
dpike97701

Enjoyed the stories and the pics and pups! Glad you brought up the topic. It's not something I've thought much about as it relates to my older trucks. I have a box on my newer truck and love it. I put everything in there. I just may have to keep my eyes open for an older box.

DP
dpike97701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:16 AM   #19
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Here is mine. Came with the truck ['68 C/10 Stepside] when I bought it in 1973. Possible dealer accessory option. Painted 516 Orange, just like truck.
Holds a lot of stuff, including a 5 Gal Justrite safety can, 18'' Craftsman toolbox w/ the works, flares, coveralls, sixpack carrier w/WD40, Carb spray, Brake cleaner, windex, armorall etc. Extra bottles of 30 Weight. E-Tool, tow line, snow chains in season. All kinds o' stuff. Might be the main reason I'm still on the road.
Pretty sure it's original from when truck was first sold.
Thanks for the pic That box looks right at home, and looks to have been there from day one. Very possible it was sold with the truck from the dealer! Thanks again for sharing!

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
Old 04-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

I like that box, too. It's built like those quarter boxes "D" I described, but taller above bed...which makes it useful. The side boxes I showed are prominent changes to a truck's appearance compared to saddle boxes. Also prominent change in usefulness for a work truck.
Now, for the ultimate in a tool box, I just love a utility bed. This one had a tall top (plumber/electrician type) that I cut off and added aluminum diamond plate on the tops. Used a Stepside tailgate since utility bed gates are like 8" tall.
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-01-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #21
kcsa75

I had one of those on a truck I had when I was a kid. They also hold a boat-load of ice and beer!

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #22
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
High side boxes. Not the most fashionable, but hold a lot for work or play, and can become a camper easily with tarp across the top. Of course, the ladder racks also make that possible:
We used to love the side boxes. Bolt them to the bed and rack. You can get a skip of sand and throw blocks and cement bags on top. Lots of payload! We used to overload those mid 60s half tons and wheelie over every bump! Work horses.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #23
steelhorse

My tool boxes are a little different.

steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
We used to love the side boxes. Bolt them to the bed and rack. You can get a skip of sand and throw blocks and cement bags on top. Lots of payload! We used to overload those mid 60s half tons and wheelie over every bump! Work horses.
Tail draggers the payloads of trucks sure weren't what the crazy figures are now on trucks, but the old trucks would let you overload them and get on down the road. These days the DOT Gestapo won't allow it, used to look the other way (when states had balanced budgets)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
I remember seeing that a lot on long Stepsides. Great use of space. I really want either a low-profile West Coast service body or a long Stepside with side bins on my '72. I want to create a '72 contractor truck again. notice on that green truck how the rear tire is centered in the wheel opening, even with a 4" lift? I replaced the wheel opening panels with new and shifted them forward to center. Had to cut the front and add to the rear. also, I installed OEM rear side markers in the doors.

Here is all the tool box you could ever need on a '70 CST Custom Camper...11'! A 3500KW generator fit in the left front bin:

Tim

Old 04-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #25
Lou Boffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post

yes they are. very cool. Perfect for a stepper.