The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
tj62

Disc brakes 62 c10

Hi all,

Im about to tear off my front clip and clean up the frame, suspension, etc and I've been reading about converting to disc brakes. Its a bit overwhelming with the huge amount of information on here.

Basically, Im looking for the easiest, cheapest way to convert to 6 lug disc on my 62. Also curious about whether or not I'd need a brake booster and how to manage the manual transmission master cylinder? Can you run the same dual master now or would I need a separate booster for brakes and smaller master for the clutch?

Ive been reading up on it for hours and there's just so many different ways people do it. Id like to not buy the $600+ kits online and find a cheaper way to do it.

Ideas?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
tj62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:14 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Disc brakes 62 c10

In my opinion, if you don't want dropped spindles, the cheapest way to convert to front disc brakes is to remove your entire front suspension and replace it with a '71-'87 C10 suspension. Then you will need the aftermarket 6 lug rotors. You don't have to completely rebuild it right away. Just replace what needs to be to make it safe.

If you do want dropped spindles, then the conversion dropped spindles for the '60-'62 and a set of rotors would be the way to go. Parts such as calipers, pads, hoses, bearings and seals, can be bought locally.

As for the master cylinder. The original master will not work for disc brakes. Since you are staying with your original manual trans, you will need a separate clutch master cylinder. I make kits for that in both power and manual brakes. There is a link to the for sale thread in my sig line. \/ \/ \/
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
tj62

Thanks for the quick response. Sounds reasonable enough. Ive seen others rave about your brackets, so Ill definitely keep that in mind depending on which route I go. Thanks again!
tj62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
verdell

I went with '60-'62 dropped spindles and six lug discs on the front in a complete kit. The installation was bolt on and took only a few hours. As mentioned earlier, a cross member swap works great also but for me it was easier and more cost effective to get the spindle/disc kit and prop valve. I also installed an new master cylinder and dual diaphram booster. Everything works great.
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
JonnyR

Ordered Captinfabs bracket today for my conversion. (Thanks Dad) I went with drop spindles with six lugs. Wish I would have changed to 5 lug mostly for more wheel options. Originally I was not going to swap out the rear so keeping the 6 lug made more sense. Now looks like the rear will be changed and I could have went 5 lug.

Think of your build like a chess game... not checkers. It will save money and time in the long run. Keep us posted.
Good Luck,
John
JonnyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
verdell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyR View Post
Ordered Captinfabs bracket today for my conversion. (Thanks Dad) I went with drop spindles with six lugs. Wish I would have changed to 5 lug mostly for more wheel options. Originally I was not going to swap out the rear so keeping the 6 lug made more sense. Now looks like the rear will be changed and I could have went 5 lug.

Think of your build like a chess game... not checkers. It will save money and time in the long run. Keep us posted.
Good Luck,
John
Honestly, that's been the only drawback to my set up. I've run my 6-lugs since '03 but I'll be switching over to 5-lug in the next month or so because of wheel selection or lack thereof.
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote