The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #1
Slammed84

Edelbrock electric choke/fast idle adjustment

Its been sometime since I turned screws on an Edelbrock. Hoping soneone can send me in the right direction.

1. Carb doesnt idle high when cold so its hard to start and keep running unless you keep your foot on the gas for a minute. I searched the net and found how to adjust the high idle, so i tightened the screw until the cam rests on the second to last setting (pictured), is this right?

2. Electric choke works but seems to open too quickly in my opinion. I have it set to be just slightly open when cold (pictured), and opens fully in less than two minutes, is this too quick?

3. The choke isn't supposed to be closed completly on startup, right? Im assuming this will not allow enough air and will stumble and choke out, which is why i set it to be slightly open to start. Correct?

Basically just want to be able to get in and pump the accelerator once to set the choke, should idle high for a couple minutes, then hit the accelerator once more to kick the idle backdown to normal. This is how it should work right?

Its also running awful rich even after adjusting the idle adjusment screws, but I'll worry abouttgat after I get the idle/choke right.
Attached Images