The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
NJ C10 Guy

Kick panel vent covers

I am going to be making custom kick panel speaker enclosures for my 6.5" components, and figured I would remove and glass the enclosure for the vent covers and make it all one seamless piece. In removing the screws on the driver's side, which was a PITA in its own right, I can't remove the vent. Is the door and plastic piece that goes through the sheet metal attached to the cover? I used to just muscle my way through things, and after breaking and spending more to fix that I should, I learned to use some finesse, and ask from those who know. It seems like if that's the case, I would also need to remove the emergency brake assembly as well. Anyone done this that can provide some insight? Thanks in advance.
NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #2
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

Re: Kick panel vent covers

It has been a while since I did mine, but I do remember them being a pain to get in and out after all the screws had been removed. The hole in the sheet metal is just big enough for the back part of the vent to fit through, my advice just keep wiggling it until it pops out, I know that is not much help, but they will come out. I don't remember having to pull any part of the e-brake system. It is all one unit, the door is removable but only after the unit is out.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
NJ C10 Guy

Ok. I think there is more access to the passenger side and no assemblies in the way, so hopefully I can get that one out to get an idea. I was thinking of possibly eliminating the vents altogether and just welding a plate over the holes in the kick panel. I'll get a better idea when I get it all out to see what I'm dealing with. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
NJ C10 Guy

As a follow up, I removed the passenger side with ease. The driver's side I got out, but it took some finessing. I did not have to remove the ebrake (thank God). After some thought, I will stick with the vent covers, paint them, put some new seals in there and reinstall.