The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2015, 10:54 PM   #1
70'

"Patina".....didn't we used to call that rust?

When did we start calling rust Patina? A buyer used to negotiate a lower price because of rust, but now that it's called patina the seller demands a higher price? People are even intentionally trying to make their vehicles look old and neglected? Lol.....I guess I am just getting too old for all this......
70' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:00 PM   #2
trac209

Re: "Patina".....didn't we used to call that rust?

Some guys like fancy paint some don't care. Myself I like to actually use my truck,I don't want to worry about scratches and where I park it etc. tons of trailer queen or car show only trucks around here. Every guy I talk to with those trucks they spend more time inside under a cover than on the road. That said I don't think a patina or rusted truck should fetch near as much money as a nice restored one
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Patina isn't necessarily anything to do with rust. It's a time worn appearance. It really just means aged. Antique wood furniture can have a patina, which is what makes reproduction furniture stand out. The origin of the word comes from copper that turns green, which is oxidation. But rust and patina are not one in the same. Faded paint is patina with no rust visible. Most folks only know the word since the trend for the "runs good, needs paint" vibe has become so popular. The worse degree of patina on a vehicle is surface rust, and that's where the confusion lies. I have always liked the time worn look, just like faded jeans. But to pay more for it is ridiculous. It doesn't cost money to not paint a vehicle. It adds appeal, but shouldn't add cost

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:38 PM   #4
Acorn

I tell my wife that my hair is not turning gray, it's pantina!

I like pantina but I don't like trucks that are intentionally painted to look that way. That's right up there with paying twice as much for a pair of jeans that already have holes in them. You don't have a story to go with em.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:09 AM   #5
'68 Newtricks

I only consider something "patina" if it has original paint. Anything else is just faked or warn out paint.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:24 AM   #6
aris_unlimited

I still consider patina to be rust lol. I see tons of guys that have $20k or more into a ride and leave the body alone claiming "patina", to me it's just a waste. Your body will rust out and you'll need an all new one! Or those guys that pain patina on a car, why bother...
Old 04-03-2015, 06:28 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Patina with surface rust is the extreme end of it. The truck has a "rusty patina" would be the proper description. Rusted out is rusted out, has nothing to do with the finish or surface where we see patina. That would be a truck with "patina and rust" or a "rusty patina with rust out" or "body rot".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-03-2015, 07:21 AM   #8
hamjet

It reminds me when I was still living home and every summer(1960s) Dad would take us on vacation to Vermont to look for antiques to bring home and resell. In one antique shop there were these copper weather veins that had that green patina look to them with bullet holes and all. very high priced too. while noseing around the store I happened to look through a door that was left open and there were 5 more weather veins in boxes, brand new copper look to them and bottles of some kind of chemical with rags by a parcially finnished vein. It was about that time I realized not only they were not old, but there was no Easter bunny either....That was a bad year....
Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #9
leftybass209

Another patina thread!? I don't know if this subject is getting patina'd, or rusty and degraded
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
It was about that time I realized not only they were not old, but there was no Easter bunny either....
Wait, what? Then who brings me all the candy in the baskets? Next I suppose you're gonna tell me Santa ain't real? Please. I've seen Elf. I know he's real, all the creepy ones at the malls are just helpers.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #11
46stude

This hobby isn't "paint by numbers". Its about self expression. A form of automotive art, if you will.

If it's not your thing, move on to the next truck. Seems silly to gripe about it on the ol' interweb.
46stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #12
Coley

Smile Re: "Patina".....didn't we used to call that rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46stude View Post
This hobby isn't "paint by numbers". Its about self expression. A form of automotive art, if you will.

If it's not your thing, move on to the next truck. Seems silly to gripe about it on the ol' interweb.
Yeah....I would have to agree.
I like see the variety myself...and if some trucks or cars go the patina route...great. That makes it interesting...plus some of the detailing that the same line of thinking creates is really interesting and I'm a fan of any creative expression in the vehicle hobby. Now more than ever given the silver potato phenomena that is new vehicle design.
That last thing I want to do on a nice summer night is go to a show'n shine with near identically finished vehicles...thats a yawn fest...and I can see that through the day at the local grocery store with new cars.
I think you can almost (...not exactly...but almost) guess the age of the car/truck owner now by how their vehicle looks. When I see a high quality paint older rod I often guess that its a guy who's 60 (retired?) or more and I'm often right....not that there anything wrong with that.
It would be really interesting to take that type of super high paint/resto/chrome vehicle and turn it over to a bunch of young car guys to see what they would do with it. Sort of like the home make-over shows but for classic cars that seems to now be dated in their restoration.
Bring on the creative stuff guys....and have at 'er.
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #13
Matt Cramer

You can still get rusty beater trucks for rusty beater truck prices. The guy who sold me mine about two or three years ago was asking $2200 for it, not asking for a premium for patina.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #14
Malamute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46stude View Post

Well said. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

FWIW my '71 is original paint with patina and doesn't have any rust on it. I'd be a fool to paint it.
Rust =/= Patina
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #15
DarkFlounder

Sure, patina looks good on a blue or green truck. But on my '72 Medium Bronze GMC, it all looks like baby-**** brownish-red.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #16
Heavymetl

Patina ia just a trend, which will undoubtedly fade with time (haha).

That being said, I'm loving this trend while it lasts. Paint is stupid expensive and doesn't add much "enjoyability" to an old truck that functions well and gets driven regularly.
Moser 9" 3.25/4 wheel discs
11.16@121.07
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #17
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Another patina thread!? I don't know if this subject is getting patina'd, or rusty and degraded
It seriously has become a dead horse, yet still continues to get beat.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #18
jeffahart

Can I call my dents patina?
Old 04-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #19
ptc

Just FYI.....

Full Definition of PATINA

1a : a usually green film formed naturally on copper and bronze by long exposure or artificially (as by acids) and often valued aesthetically for its color.

b : a surface appearance of something grown beautiful especially with age or use.

2: an appearance or aura that is derived from association, habit, or established character.

3: a superficial covering or exterior.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #20
Eddie H.

I tried to convince my wife that I have patina, but she says that I just look old and worn out.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #21
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70' View Post
....I guess I am just getting too old for all this......
i suppose you are right after all
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #22
special-K
Special Order

I started off in HS fixing up '50s cars to drive. I went after the mechanics and performance first. I never had my car (same one) good enough for paint till after HS when I was 20. Other guys were buying shiny 5 year old '60s cars and doing the Hijacker,Cragars/L60s, and Thrush mufflers with exhaust in front of rear tires thing (incl. stickers for all that in the window). I'd see them broke down and think,"Those mags didn't make it run any better". I bent a shifting fork jamming gears and people asked, "Why are you fixing that old thing?".

Nothing has changed in all these years, to me that is how you do it and a patina ride is just that. The original hot rods were built to run, with looks coming along later. It wasn't till magazines followed the hot rod trend that most were introduced to hot rods through pretty cars. The right way to build is get it together, run it to work the bugs out, then blow it apart to paint (or cut-in first and paint after the shakedown). The old addages, "Chrome won't get you home", and ,"Runs good, needs paint", both apply here. Once you've built enough cars/trucks/bikes to show condition only to find you don't want anything to get messed up, you begin to appreciate one that just runs good, you can leave parked anywhere and, and leave the folding chair, Hawaiian shirt, straw hats to the rest and just drive your chit. It's that DILLIGAF vibe reflected to the highest degree. It's not supposed to take great effort. If it does then you just don't get it...yet.

Now we see patina rides in shows and even fake jobs. I've won trophies and had my stuff in magazines, but I'm past that now. I dunno, not for me. I like to go to shows, park in the parking area, look around, then go drive the rest of the day while others sit there all day. It ain't me and if it's you that's just fine with me. I'm glad someone does it so there can be a show. I'm into doin' more than havin'. I like them all

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-05-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #23
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I didn't bother to look at this thread when it was started, then I see a fair amount of comments so I did a quick skim through.

My take ...The look, or fad, or whatever you wanna call it has been around for a long time. Some people love it, some people hate it, some people don't really give a rip either way. Its a dead horse.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #24
NTIMID8R

....individuality......it's what makes the world go round

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called "the present".

1971 Sierra Grande LWB, 350/TH350, Factory Air Lots, of future mods planned!!
NTIMID8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #25
factorystock

Inspect closely when the word "patina" is claimed, dents, rust holes and chewed up sheet metal, which have nothing to do with patina, often are included( at no extra charge) in the deal. Almost as bad as the word "original".
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote