The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
Grizz1963

'97 Astro Van wiring diagram - Where to start looking?

Bought a used auto steering column today at an auto jumble for a lot less than expected, it is an adjustable Automatic Chevy Astro van steering column, which included the ignition with three keys and all the plugs for its wiring at a sensible price.

I am fitting a new wiring loom and will need to splice the columns wiring to it. So looking for a copy of, or a pointer to an online copy of the wiring diagram of a 97 Astro Van

Heavy bloody thing to cart over to the car after Martin had come all the way across the field to check out if he thought it could be grafted into my truck. Along with the new wiring loom it should be good if we can make it fit and work.

Mouldy Airbag steering will have to go, then hopefully my original Moon style wheel can go on directly, or may need an adaptor.

Will need some brackets to fit it, and being an adjustable means it could be a bit nicer to use.

If anyone has fitted one of these to a 60-66 or other C10, then please let me know what to look out for and what the tricks are.

Thanks as always for your help.
Grizz1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
pimpston65

Re: '97 Astro Van wiring diagram - Where to start looking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
Bought a used auto steering column today at an auto jumble for a lot less than expected, it is an adjustable Automatic Chevy Astro van steering column, which included the ignition with three keys and all the plugs for its wiring at a sensible price.

I am fitting a new wiring loom and will need to splice the columns wiring to it. So looking for a copy of, or a pointer to an online copy of the wiring diagram of a 97 Astro Van

Heavy bloody thing to cart over to the car after Martin had come all the way across the field to check out if he thought it could be grafted into my truck. Along with the new wiring loom it should be good if we can make it fit and work.

Mouldy Airbag steering will have to go, then hopefully my original Moon style wheel can go on directly, or may need an adaptor.

Will need some brackets to fit it, and being an adjustable means it could be a bit nicer to use.

If anyone has fitted one of these to a 60-66 or other C10, then please let me know what to look out for and what the tricks are.

Thanks as always for your help.
yeah, start by cleaning that steering wheel. icky!!!
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.

I am pretty sure that any '97 GM column diagram will work for you.
The GM color coding is pretty standard, just google it! I did!
I used that style column in my truck.
If you go to page 20 of my build you can see how I mounted mine, but something has went haywire with the photos!
They are super large, so maybe you can copy & paste them onto your computer & resize them to review...They were not like that when I originally posted them!

Last edited by Modges'66; 04-03-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:05 AM   #4
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modges'66 View Post
I am pretty sure that any '97 GM column diagram will work for you.
The GM color coding is pretty standard, just google it! I did!
I used that style column in my truck.
If you go to page 20 of my build you can see how I mounted mine, but something has went haywire with the photos!
They are super large, so maybe you can copy & paste them onto your computer & resize them to review...They were not like that when I originally posted them!
Pimpston, the old wheel will be getting removed.

So not spending time on that.

Thanks for posting up Modges'66, I looked at your thread and saved the pics and uploaded to my Phoyobucket, let's see if they do resize when I post up here.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:24 AM   #5
Paul Y

Rian,

I have an old Camaro column here you're welcome too if it would help with the brackets etc.

P.
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
yeah, start by cleaning that steering wheel. icky!!!
JUST FOR YOU WINSTON

Went over to Martin's early this morning as Nicola was off to visit her daughter in Buckinghamshire for a couple of days.

He needed to move a load of stuff in his garage and shed, including getting his V8 and gearbox out the way, and then getting the straight six from his truck and it's gearbox out to the front of his carport for Über Cool, Andy to collect next weekend for his truck build.

I took my new to me, steering wheel and column with to test fit/offer it up to his upside down cab to see if it will fit.

So after the engines and sheds were sorted, we tried it out.

My current Moon style wheels rim and boss are both 9" from the dash edges.

The new one is 11" away, so I will need to do a bit of thinking around the best solution for form and function when I get to fitting it.

While I was there, Martin ripped the airbag and it's ring and wiring out as well.

When I got home I cleaned it all up, much improved.

So now the steering wheel and it's airbag bits can get sold as I do not want a modern wheel on my truck, still need to figure out what splines the column has and see what adaptor I may have to fit to get a new steering wheel fitted.

I personally like the older style stuff and love my Moon style that is deep dished and will be removed.

One of the things we realised this morning was that the small plastic cover behind the light and indicator stalk is missing.

Aaaaaaarrrgghhh !!!!

This means I now need to find one from somewhere, and one would expect most columns to come with them fitted, so not many about to buy or scavenge.

Anyway, if anyone knows where, or has one...... Please let me know.

Next job today is to go build a rolling frame with some of the wheels I got this week and a box into which I can pack all the parts I plan to keep off the little Honda donor bike.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #7
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
Rian,

I have an old Camaro column here you're welcome too if it would help with the brackets etc.

P.
Hey Paul, thanks for the reply.

I would like to take a look at that if it's OK with you.

The new one is not a size fit, but pre made brackets are always the easiest way to go.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
Blue666(2)

Grizz,

I was not able to locate the wiring diagram but this page has the missing cap for your column.

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/

Blue666(2)
Blue666(2) is offline   Reply With Quote