The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2015, 03:01 AM   #1
PunishedC10

New Guy

Sort of, Joined Several years ago. I have a 1985 C10 that I bought 14 years ago for my first truck. It's been on the back burner and I'm back at it. My dad actually bought an '85 about 10 years before I did and still have his too. I will try to post some pics asap.

I'm looking for a few things that I want to do and change with the truck. A few years ago I did a 5/7" drop using a DJM kit, spindles, coils, rear axle flip kit. The truck sits on 22x9" Gun Metal Coys. I have an aluminum 5.3 with LS2 heads, tbss intake, F-body oilpan/pump, MS4 cam, ls7 lifters and a few other goodies. For the trans I'm putting in a 4L80e with a stall from Circle D. Should be gettting the motor and trans in soon. I am wanting a fun, but quick driver. I want to ditch the leaf springs and go with a 4 link with coil overs. What is the route to take? I have been looking at QA1's and I'm not sure which set I would like. I would like them to be adjustable. I'm not doing a budget build, build I'm not going to spend several thousand dollars on the rear end either. I have seen several 4 link kits that are on ebay, and I have considered piecing the kit with QA1's myself.
Also looking at different front sway bars. Anyone have any input on belltech or Hellwig sway bars? Thanks in advance!
PunishedC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:23 AM   #2
tinydb84

Re: New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunishedC10 View Post
Sort of, Joined Several years ago. I have a 1985 C10 that I bought 14 years ago for my first truck. It's been on the back burner and I'm back at it. My dad actually bought an '85 about 10 years before I did and still have his too. I will try to post some pics asap.

I'm looking for a few things that I want to do and change with the truck. A few years ago I did a 5/7" drop using a DJM kit, spindles, coils, rear axle flip kit. The truck sits on 22x9" Gun Metal Coys. I have an aluminum 5.3 with LS2 heads, tbss intake, F-body oilpan/pump, MS4 cam, ls7 lifters and a few other goodies. For the trans I'm putting in a 4L80e with a stall from Circle D. Should be gettting the motor and trans in soon.

I want to hear that MS4 in a 5.3l. It might not run well but the idle probably sounds amazing.

I am wanting a fun, but quick driver. I want to ditch the leaf springs and go with a 4 link with coil overs. What is the route to take? I have been looking at QA1's and I'm not sure which set I would like. I would like them to be adjustable. I'm not doing a budget build, build I'm not going to spend several thousand dollars on the rear end either. I have seen several 4 link kits that are on ebay, and I have considered piecing the kit with QA1's myself.

Plenty of venders here will set you up with a four link that is better than the ebay ones at a better price.

Also looking at different front sway bars. Anyone have any input on belltech or Hellwig sway bars? Thanks in advance!
Paragraphs!!! hahah just messing with you. My input (for whatever its worth) is in red. Post up some pictures when you get the chance.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:28 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Take a look at http://pbfab.com/shop/73-87-rear-dropmember-coilovers
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:06 AM   #4
PunishedC10

Sorry about the structure of the text! Honestly, I try to do that. I'm on my Iphone and it's difficult for me to type and make it easier to read. I also have a 100000% complete '98 LS1/4L60e that has less then 10k miles on it, been sitting in my shop for ten years haha. I may use it first, get the swap done, then throw the 5.3/4L80e in.
I got the L33, LS2 heads (243's), tbss intake, 102mm throttle body DBC, and some other parts for pretty much free. I had a '03 GMC and I have bought several LS motors and sold some of it off. It isn't worth it to me to pay a ridiculous price for a 6.0. With that, people are paying crazy money for LS1 engines, so I plan on getting rid of it. I think the 5.3 in the end, will do everything the LS1 does or more.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:29 AM   #5
PunishedC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
These are really nice kits. I have checked them out before, and that is what is bringing me here. I know a guy in San Antonio that can do the 4 link with QA1's, and a hand made fuel cell for me. I was quoted $1800 parts/installation out the door. I would like to better compare the two before pulling the trigger on a decision. I just adjusted some things on that link. The prices were roughly $3k to $5k. I want a 4 link, coil overs, wilwood brakes, and the truck a tad lower in the back then I have it now.

I guess what I want the truck for would help with the information that I am looking for. I'm not wanting a race truck. I don't want to take all the glass out and put in a cage. But if I want to take it to the track twice a year, I would like it to get traction! More importantly, I want the truck pretty much slammed height wise and not beat the crap out of me. The better the ride quality the better with it being slammed, not body dropped and laying frame. If I wanted all of that, I would go with bags. I think the single adjustable coil overs will be what I am wanting for the truck.

When looking at Wilwood brakes, what are the different options available for our trucks using the same 5x5 bolt pattern? Also, part numbers would be greatly appreciated. I have searched and searched but I'm still not gaining much information.
What weight rating and type of coil over should I be looking for? Am I correct that the heigher weight rated shocks will be stiffer?
Old 04-05-2015, 06:00 AM   #6
PunishedC10

Old 04-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
cfan10

I love this truck, wondering how you got that patina to perfect of the pass side.
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
Willowrun

Wheel and tire combo looks great. Do you mind sharing the backspace and tire specs?
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #9
PunishedC10

The surface rust just ate through the primered spots. 22x9" Coy Wheels, tires in the front are 265/35r22 rear are 305/40r22. I don't remember the backspacing I ordered. I saw on the website that they only offer 5" and 5.5". It seems like they offered me a custom backspacing and one was 6.5" for the front and the rear were 5.5". I'll have to measure and see. The 305/40r22 is a little bit too tall. It's difficult matching tread with a staggered setup. A 265/30r22 & 305/30r22 would be perfect to me.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunishedC10 View Post
The surface rust just ate through the primered spots. 22x9" Coy Wheels, tires in the front are 265/35r22 rear are 305/40r22. I don't remember the backspacing I ordered. I saw on the website that they only offer 5" and 5.5". It seems like they offered me a custom backspacing and one was 6.5" for the front and the rear were 5.5". I'll have to measure and see. The 305/40r22 is a little bit too tall. It's difficult matching tread with a staggered setup. A 265/30r22 & 305/30r22 would be perfect to me.
Except for the potholes w/that short of a tire sidewall. Did you find a front sway bar yet?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #11
PunishedC10

I have found some but I'm not sure what route to take. I have seen several options. I also read up on traingulated 4 links and 4 bar setups with/without anti sway bars. From what I read, a 4 link has the lower bars parralel to the surface, and top bars at an angle. Also, the 4 link is stiff around corners and will actually lift the outside wheel off the ground in turns and an anti sway bar would make that worse. A 4 bar setup has all 4 bars parallel to the surface and does well with an anti sway bar. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

As far as tires, I would prefer to keep the 265/35r22 in the front, however I want a 12" wide tire in the rear and matching tread. There are only so many options. I have seen a 305/40r22 but nothing smaller in height with a 305mm width. I have also seen 315/25r22. That is a little wider then 12", but the sidewall is to short.