The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
oldarky66

Help w chrome windshield trim please

Fairly new here, first just want to say thanks to all the talented folks out there willing to share their time & talents, its really motivating for those of us with less experience & skill.
Next, I have a donar 65 chevy I am taking remaining unused parts off of & will attempt to post soon. It is a custom cab w the chrome windshield trim. I need tips for removing the trim without damage, especially the clips, looks like they should just pop off but want to make sure.

Thanks
oldarky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
68JOHNDEERE

Re: Help w chrome windshield trim please

If you are talking about the exterior chrome trim, that is held in the gasket by pressure fit. To remove the chrome you will have to cut the gasket all the way around and remove the glass from the cab to get the trim.
68JOHNDEERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
oldarky66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68JOHNDEERE View Post
If you are talking about the exterior chrome trim, that is held in the gasket by pressure fit. To remove the chrome you will have to cut the gasket all the way around and remove the glass from the cab to get the trim.
Thanks for the quick response 68JOHNDEERE. Soon as the rain stops I'll give that a try.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
1963c-10

Once you cut the gasket you will remove the entire assembly (glass & trim). I like to slide the trim out of the revel clips as opposed to prying the clips off which makes them prone to get dents.

Reinstalls same way. Trim goes in gasket, windshield goes in gasket and installs as 1 unit. Trim clips go on after the windshield is reinstalled.

Also recommend a Precision brand gasket over any of the rest....trim or non-trim
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

To clarify, never try to pry the trim out of the gasket. Once the glass/gasket/trim assembly is off the truck, peel the gasket off the trim. Once the trim is free of the gasket, just slide the pieces apart and the clips will slide off the ends of the trim with no effort.

Ask again for more tips when it comes time for installation. Above all protect the end caps/clips from loss. They are essentially irreplaceable. If you lose one, the set is basically useless and few people are willing to give one up, rendering their own set unusable.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
oldarky66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Once you cut the gasket you will remove the entire assembly (glass & trim). I like to slide the trim out of the revel clips as opposed to prying the clips off which makes them prone to get dents.

Reinstalls same way. Trim goes in gasket, windshield goes in gasket and installs as 1 unit. Trim clips go on after the windshield is reinstalled.

Also recommend a Precision brand gasket over any of the rest....trim or non-trim
Great tips, thanks.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
oldarky66

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
To clarify, never try to pry the trim out of the gasket. Once the glass/gasket/trim assembly is off the truck, peel the gasket off the trim. Once the trim is free of the gasket, just slide the pieces apart and the clips will slide off the ends of the trim with no effort.

Ask again for more tips when it comes time for installation. Above all protect the end caps/clips from loss. They are essentially irreplaceable. If you lose one, the set is basically useless and few people are willing to give one up, rendering their own set unusable.
Appreciate that Markeb01 . You guys are saving me a lot of grief, and money. I probably would tried to just pry them out from the outside.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

sometimes it is easier to cut the gasket on the inside... cut it all away from the pinch weld and then the whole unit can push out.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote