The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2015, 04:13 AM   #1
jcd9730

Think I'm gonna have to sell my truck :(

After much deliberation, I think I am going to have to sell my truck. I simply don't have the time, I work full time and go to school full time, and my girlfriend would like to see me occasionally. I don't have space to have two cars, and my truck is also a salvage title. The title is also making me nervous. If I just drove it as is, it would be fine. But the problem is, its going to keep needing more stuff, and the more money I put in, the more risk I'm taking since I won't get anything at all in the event of a wreck or theft. Collector's isn't an option either, as I only have the truck, and no desire to have two cars. I kept it as a salvage because I intended to get a donor truck, and swap to that and have a clean title. But I wouldn't have time or space for years, and I don't really have the time for it now.

So I think I will be selling it soon. For reference, I paid 10k for it, and got 13k from insurance, so it's a good condition truck. My question is, what is it worth as a salvage? How do I sell it? Its fully roadworthy and registered, and its my current DD, and in pretty good shape. Needs paint, but I have plasitdip on it now (turned out pretty good). What's y'alls opinion on buying/selling a salvage title, how much would it hurt the price, and do you think I would have a hard time selling it?

72 C10, 350/2004r, Porter Steel Pacs, and 40+ years of leftovers from strange POs...
jcd9730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: Think I'm gonna have to sell my truck :(

Why is it salvage? What was the damage? The answers and pics can help judge value

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Davidf

Sorry to hear you need/want to sell the truck. But, if your DD then I get it. I have purchased a salvage title vehicle (8 years ago) and still have it. I think I paid probably $.60 on the dollar. But, with a classic, you mileage may vary. Good luck.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Why is it salvage? What was the damage? The answers and pics can help judge value
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610413
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
Swar

I looked at those pictures, I highly doubt that frame got tweaked.
All of the damage is above the bumper. I know I could fix it. That's what I'd do if I were you.
Swar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
jcd9730

Yep, thats the one. The damage was mostly superficial, besides a new battery. I don't have good current pics, but I will soon. Mainly just not sure how to handle the salvage title issue. Still have most of the receipts for the damage repairs too

72 C10, 350/2004r, Porter Steel Pacs, and 40+ years of leftovers from strange POs...
Old 04-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
my67c20

Well, i think you have already made up your mind. If the insurance has already paid you, then sell it complete. You might make more money parting it out, but you already stated that you don't have enough time. Somebody out there will see what little work needs to be done, and believes they will have the time to do the work. As we all know, it usually is not that simple. Or maybe they will swap the good onto something else. Either way if you sell it for half of what you got from the insurance, plus the insurance, you can get something pretty decent for 15k. Who knows maybe even take a vacation, get the girlfriend happy, then pop the big question. That's right buying another truck.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
leddzepp

You won't get much here with a salvage title. I'd part it out. Is it a LWB or SWB truck?

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #9
Chucks72Longbed

I would buy it if I wanted it. Salvage title or not. I don't see what the big deal is about a salvage title. I guess it could hurt the resale value. But if you know anything about vehicles you can look and drive it and tell if it is some piece of junk or still a good vehicle. I think most of us buy them to drive them and fix them up because that gives us joy. If you just buy and fix up to sell, you can do that with any kind of car. I feel bad that he has to sell it but I would say do what you have to man. It's just a thing. You can always buy another one if you miss it. There are thousands of them out there. JMO.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucks72Longbed View Post
I would buy it if I wanted it. Salvage title or not. I don't see what the big deal is about a salvage title. I guess it could hurt the resale value. But if you know anything about vehicles you can look and drive it and tell if it is some piece of junk or still a good vehicle. I think most of us buy them to drive them and fix them up because that gives us joy. If you just buy and fix up to sell, you can do that with any kind of car. I feel bad that he has to sell it but I would say do what you have to man. It's just a thing. You can always buy another one if you miss it. There are thousands of them out there. JMO.
I guess salvage titles aren't as big a deal here in SC either... I would be hesitant on a purchase, as in I would very thoroughly look it over, and I would pay a little less, but to say it should be parted because of a salvage title? That's nuts. Put it on ebay and see what it does. A guy in NY or OH would love to have a rust free (assuming) cali truck.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
cooperhw

Salvage will seriously hurt the value.

If you paid 10K, got 13K from insurance, unless you paid more than 3K to buy it back it's free to you at this point.
Sell it, get what you can.
Insurance companies don't hand out 13 thousand dollar checks for no reason, if it can be fixed "good as new" with some plastidip.
I would say you might get around 3K for it. Maybe.
J.M.O. and no offense meant.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #12
leddzepp

Here in California salvage title = parts truck. There is a very nice 1970 C-20 with original paint no rust no dents, 60K original miles that has been for sale in my area for over six months now. Owner wants 5K and has had lookers but no offers. Why? Salvage title If it didn't have a salvage title it would have sold long ago. That's just reality here. Try and sell it first of course, but you will get peanuts for offers as the next owner/buyer will be looking to part it out and make some $$$.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #13
hugger6933

I rebuild wrecks for a living. That is what I lovingly call a Walmart door ding. Meaning that it is not so bad as far as the repairs go, I'm sure it was bad to you and for you. The salvage title deal doesn't mean much to me but I'm the only car dealer in my area or the only one period that the bank will loan money on a salvage title, because the bank people all know that I'm upright fair and honest about my trucks so it doesn't stop them from loaning money on one I've built.With that being said the last truck I built with salvage papers I did not even paint anything on it it was hit in the rear and I replaced the bed with a new take off and still had to give it away practically. It was a08 GMC extra cab I got $7500 for the loaded truck and lots would not talk to me any more after I said it had a salvage title, some would just hang up on me, rude. But it does hurt unless you find some one who really don't care I've sold maybe over a 100 with salvage and if they want a certain truck it doesn't hurt that much, but it is a bargaining chip because of the diminished value. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #14
bs46488

My nova is a salvage title. I didn't care when I bought it, but many many people will. I think some insurance companies are a pain about them also, so people steer clear of that too.

That being said, with the front end damage and the salvage title, people are going to be looking for a deal.

Craigslist has a couple good deals on fenders and hoods right now, if you decide to fix it.
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
Nitis

In my limited experience the big ding on salvaged vehicles is that insurance will only pay like. 30% of the value of a non salvage vehicle
Posted via Mobile Device
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #16
ptc

Mostly it all depends on the buyer.... and what they are looking for and what they will spend. "Everything has a Price"

The other thing someone mentioned is what an insurance company will re-insure the 'repaired vehicle' for with a salvage title. Even if somebody made a show truck out of it and dumped $50,000 into it, an insurance company may say its only worth $5000 to insure and thats their limit of liability on a "salvage vehicle". Thats the main problem with salvage titles....

I have a custom motorcycle worth about $25K I built from a salvage title but it can only be insured for $5000... in CA.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:54 PM   #17
MARKDTN

Salvage title doesn't mean death. If you can see the before, it may be no big deal. I bought an '87 Suburban with a mild engine fire as salvage. Put a new engine harness on it and had the hood painted. Used the same belts and hoses (never took them off). I paid $2000 for it and sold it 2 years later for $3000 I think. Had an '89 IROC 5-speed that ran under a barbed wire fence. Paid $1650 for it. I put a used door and ground effects on it for under $100. Drove it 2 years and bought a nose for $75. I waited to find parts the right color so I never had any paint done. Drove it a total of like 5 years and 75K miles and sold it for $2000. One of the best cars I ever had. Point is, if you can show the damage up front, there is no reason to run from a salvage car. The right buyer will understand that. You won't get top dollar, but you should not have to give it away.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #18
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Think I'm gonna have to sell my truck :(

Living in SC Upstate I can tell you a salvaged title means no resale value at all. I have a 94 Caddy Elderado touring coupe. Loaded every opition you can get on it back in 94. I bought it with 1200 miles on it with a salvaged title. I didn't care it was for the wife and we plan to drive it. 250,000 miles later it has been a great car but no one will trade are buy it other than scrap metal prices. Both my daughter and son have driven it and my son wrecked it in the front end. No frame damage at all. I drove it home.
To fix it would cost $4-5 thousand and the car is worth maybe $1000.00 tops. Been sitting almost a year now and I just can't bring myself to sale it for scrap. The thing still runs great and it has a perfect interior other than normal wear in the leather. The seats are worn but no rips. The car runs and everything works on it even the moon roof with no leaks. But it's not worth it to fix.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:05 PM   #19
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Well if you lived up here Id buy the wheels from you if it came down to you parting it out. Prolly too much for shipping though.

Sorry it got busted up. Sounds like you are a young fella, plenty of time to pick up another rig in the future when you are more settled in with life.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:25 PM   #20
davischevy

We need pictures.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:53 AM   #21
In The Ten Ring

One thing I have learned, THERE IS ALWAYS TIME. Part the thing out. You'll make your money back and stick it to the insurance company.

Unless you are on a skydive and suffering from a parachute malfunction, there is always time. (I'm a skydiver so I know what I'm talking about).
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #22
my67c20

Well did some poking and if you are interested in keeping the vehicle, and the work is not to much work, you can undo the salvage title and register the vehicle. Check out this link http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/salvaged-vehicles.php. Might be a nice thing to understand and even be able to explain to the new owner if you try to sell it complete.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #23
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
Well did some poking and if you are interested in keeping the vehicle, and the work is not to much work, you can undo the salvage title and register the vehicle. Check out this link http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/salvaged-vehicles.php. Might be a nice thing to understand and even be able to explain to the new owner if you try to sell it complete.
It doesnt undo a salvage on a title, it still says "salvage" or "revived salvage" on it, which means the same thing, mine is revived but the title says "SALVAGE".

If an insurance company pays out the full value for a vehicle than it stays a salvage vehicle no matter what. It does not mean it cannot be driven on the roads or can be resold. Its just a "warning label" on the title.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:24 AM   #24
jcd9730

I fixed the damages from the wreck about 10 months ago. This is how it looks now.

The only way to get rid of the revived salvage title would be to get a clean titled truck and swap stuff around. I don't have the time for that, and honestly, as an engineering student, I really don't have time for the truck in general. For example, it started bouncing real bad at certain speeds and when braking. Drums and alignment fixed it, mostly, but there is still some some shaking, and its stressing me out, because I just simply do not have time to look, and I need to drive it to work and school every day. DD'ing a 72 just isn't very doable when you're too busy to keep up with repairs, even the simple ones
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2015, 02:50 AM   #25
leddzepp

Good looking truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man