The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
Chief Z

Door Locks not fully disengaging

Hey everyone! I'm a new owner of a '72 k20 and looking for some help. I ordered some new door lock cylinder's and replaced the drivers side with the pawl correctly aligned between the "C" on the lock but it is not engaging enough to completely unlock the door. I can get the key to unlock it enough to open but then when I go to take the key out it locks it again. Also, I can unlock it from the inside. I tried to pull the lock up but it would not go up enough to disengage the lock.

Any ideas?

v/r,
Dustin
Chief Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
leftybass209

Re: Door Locks not fully disengaging

Welcome to the forums! Did you replace anything (other than the locks) inside the door, or clean any of it up? You have 43+ years of dirt, and wear on those components. We have a lock guru here on the forums, I wouldn't be surprised if he chimes in with all the pertinent information you need.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Z View Post
Hey everyone! I'm a new owner of a '72 k20 and looking for some help. I ordered some new door lock cylinder's and replaced the drivers side with the pawl correctly aligned between the "C" on the lock but it is not engaging enough to completely unlock the door. I can get the key to unlock it enough to open but then when I go to take the key out it locks it again. Also, I can unlock it from the inside. I tried to pull the lock up but it would not go up enough to disengage the lock.

Any ideas?

v/r,
Dustin

Hi Dustin,

.. to the board! It sounds like you might have the lock pawls on the wrong side. There is a right and left and they won't interchange and work correctly.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
Chief Z

I suppose the pawls could have been switched out previously since the locks were not working when I got it. I will check that tonight. I do know that the pawl is angled toward the "C", if that sounds correct. Honestly, it feels like it is functioning correctly with the use of the key but just not pushing it far enough to fully disengage. I was able to read some of the other threads and maybe there is some adjusting I can do to it.

I was almost suspecting that there was a bushing or roller that should go on it that would give it that extra push but then when I was not able to unlock from the inside, I figured it was something else.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Chief Z

Oh, I did clean it up good before I put it all back together. Didn't change out any other parts just yet.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 04-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I suppose the pawls could have been switched out previously since the locks were not working when I got it. I will check that tonight. I do know that the pawl is angled toward the "C", if that sounds correct. Honestly, it feels like it is functioning correctly with the use of the key but just not pushing it far enough to fully disengage. I was able to read some of the other threads and maybe there is some adjusting I can do to it.

I was almost suspecting that there was a bushing or roller that should go on it that would give it that extra push but then when I was not able to unlock from the inside, I figured it was something else.

Another thing to consider is that the drivers side lock may have been replaced and a passengers side lock and pawl assembly used. In that case you wouldn't have a drivers side pawl, you would have two passengers side pawls. You need to look close at the two lock pawls and make sure you have a right and a left.

You mentioned that you cleaned, but did you lube the door lock and latch mechanism with penetrating oil (not WD-40) inside the door?

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-24-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #7
Chief Z

Gotcha, I will definitely confirm the pawls are correct. Everything looked pretty aged in there so I don't think it was replaced but I will go back and confirm. The lock itself was just sitting in there with some RTV so somebody who knew even less than me (if that's possible) tried to fix it. But it still had the pawl on it so who knows.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Gotcha, I will definitely confirm the pawls are correct. Everything looked pretty aged in there so I don't think it was replaced but I will go back and confirm. The lock itself was just sitting in there with some RTV so somebody who knew even less than me (if that's possible) tried to fix it. But it still had the pawl on it so who knows.

Also read through this older thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=530099

I don't know if it will help or not. Let us know if nothing works for you.

LockDoc

-
Old 04-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Chief Z

Wow, great thread! I was working my way through some of those older threads but that one was perfect. Great picture of the latch assembly too. Thanks. That really helped me to understand what I was trying to look at in the dark corner of the door. If I'm seeing it correctly and it is not a mirror reflection, that looked like the passenger side latch.

Sounds like a great group of people on this forum as well. You guys really show your hospitality and generousity.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Wow, great thread! I was working my way through some of those older threads but that one was perfect. Great picture of the latch assembly too. Thanks. That really helped me to understand what I was trying to look at in the dark corner of the door. If I'm seeing it correctly and it is not a mirror reflection, that looked like the passenger side latch.

Sounds like a great group of people on this forum as well. You guys really show your hospitality and generousity.

Yes, that is the pass. side.

Another thing you might try is pushing in on the door as you lock and unlock it. Sometimes, if the door closes hard, it will not close all the way and this puts a bind on the lock parts. Just thinking out loud here...

LockDoc

-
Old 04-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #11
Chief Z

will try that as well. I'm off to give it a go. Will update later what I figure out.

Thanks again!
Old 05-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
Chief Z

Ok, sorry for not posting a reply. I've had some things come up. So this is my final findings:

I ordered a new pawl cuz something just seemed funny with the drivers side and it would not unlock all the way. The first picture is the final install working properly with new pawl. You may be able to see the flat part that goes into the "C". The old pawl was rounded as shown in picture two. Plus it was a bit longer.

The third picture is a comparison of the lock cylinders. Two of the front and one of the rear panel door. Anybody know where I can find the rear panel door lock? Is it possible to just have a key made for it?

Thanks again for everyones help.

Dustin
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Ok, sorry for not posting a reply. I've had some things come up. So this is my final findings:

I ordered a new pawl cuz something just seemed funny with the drivers side and it would not unlock all the way. The first picture is the final install working properly with new pawl. You may be able to see the flat part that goes into the "C". The old pawl was rounded as shown in picture two. Plus it was a bit longer.

The third picture is a comparison of the lock cylinders. Two of the front and one of the rear panel door. Anybody know where I can find the rear panel door lock? Is it possible to just have a key made for it?

Thanks again for everyones help.

Dustin

The round pawl is for a passenger car. No wonder it wouldn't work...

Did you try the door or ignition lock keys in the rear door lock?

I have a rear door lock or I can make a key for the one you have, or your local full service locksmith should be able to do it. It may have a code number stamped into the lock case and he can cut a key from that. The number would be a combination of 4 numbers/letters stamped into the lock body. You may have to wire brush it lightly to see it.

LockDoc

-
Old 05-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #14
Chief Z

Thanks LockDoc,

I did try both the door key and the ignition and neither would work. Put some good break-free in there and jiggled but nothing. I will check out the numbers tonight! I know a local locksmith shop and will see if they can make a key. If not, I will definitely reach out to you.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks LockDoc,

I did try both the door key and the ignition and neither would work. Put some good break-free in there and jiggled but nothing. I will check out the numbers tonight! I know a local locksmith shop and will see if they can make a key. If not, I will definitely reach out to you.

Sounds good. Let us know what happens....

LockDoc

-