The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2003, 06:42 PM   #1
bigblock73
yeller

auxilary fuel tank question(s)

Hey folks, I usually use the 73-87 side of the board, but this part of the board seems to get more traffic and maybe some of you have dealt/done with this before...

Since I am anticipating only getting about 10MPG (500+ HP 454, 4.10 gears, 700r4, and a heavy foot) my 16 gallon fuel capacity isn't going to get me very far on one tank of gas...so I might want to run an auxilary tank when the need arises. Right now I am in the finishing stages of plumbing the fuel system and I would like to plumb in a provision for adding a second tank (like a 20+ gallon removeable tank inside the bed). Now would be the best/easiest time to do so since the body is still off the frame.

What exactly do I need to do to run a second tank and how do i plumb it? Is it as simple as running a "T" off the main line with a switch and valve? Does anyone here have a similar setup? I am running 6AN (3/8") line for the entire fuel system, are there AN type fittings for this setup out there?

Thanks in advance...Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 08:19 PM   #2
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

The trucks I have seen with aux tanks have a "tap type of switch that is three way, so you could have 3 tanks but you don't need to. It works great the only downside is that your fuel guage wont show what is in your extra tank. The way I do it if I am carrying extra fuel is run off the aux tank then when it is empty(truck dies while going down the street) just reach down and switch the tank. I have an extra "tap" if you need one. $10 + shipping
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 08:26 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

gee_emm, would you happen to have a pic of the switch? I am confused on the "tap" part. I also don't understand how the mechanics of the switch go, like where to mount it, how to run the lines so you can choose which tank you want to run, etc...

Would you put the cut-off valve (or whatever it is called) just behind the "T" in the line, that way when you switch tanks it cuts off fuel to the one line, and allows fuel from the other line?

I am primarily confused I guess when it comes to routing the lines and where the "valves" go.

Does anyone have a diagram possibly?

Sorry if I sound confused...I gues it because i am.

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 08:35 PM   #4
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

It usually mounts on the floor right beside the seat. This switch would be for 2 tanks, one line coming from one tank, one line coming from the other, and the third line running back to the engine.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 01:09 AM   #5
Richard

A friend of mine had an auxiliary tank installed and it drains into the stock tank. No switches or shut off valves to deal with, when the secondary tank is full the gas gauge never reads less than full untill the primary tank starts being used up. Kind of a neat setup.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 03:45 AM   #6
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

10 mpg with a 500 hp 454? Are you dreaming? A 350 wont get much better than that!. How did you do it?? I have to know!
Phillip Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 03:50 AM   #7
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

As Richard said, You can buy a Fuel cell at the farm supply in Chico and they hold 105 gallons. i have one that I use for diesel. I think you could addapt one to flow into your main tank and that would get you quite a distance. Also, there is a Company called Transfer Flo in Chico Calif that makes custom tanks for ANYTHING.
Their number is 530-893-5209. They also have a website. Good luck.
Phillip Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:01 PM   #8
lewi

In my 71 i removed the original tank, and used the two original aftermarket aux tanks (Saddle tanks). I had a local guys replumb the system. With a a flip of a small switch it changes from one tank to the other. If I'm running low on the left I switch over and the gas comes from the right, at the same time the fuel gauge shows me what is in the right side.......very nice.

Built to use, and look good.
lewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:57 PM   #9
Truckhead

These switchovers, which show proper fuel gauge readings as well as tank feed are often found on older pickups, at least the Fords, from the mid 70s to at least early 80s, due to the so-called "fuel shortages" dreamed up by the government and the oil companies.
Truckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:59 PM   #10
mrein3

Here's what I did.

When I bought Old Faithful the aux tank leaked. Of course the bolts were rusted beyond movement of the funky nuts they installed back then so I just ground the heads off the old bolts.

I had a local radiator shop repair the leak - yeah I'm a chicken. While the shop had the tank I ordered an aux fuel gauge from JC Whitney.

When I got the tank back I made up new bolts from 1/2" carriage bolts and 1/2 threaded rod. I also had to make a hole in the top of the tank for the new gauge. Since I was still a chicken I filled it with water and drilled out the hole.

My "tap" or switch or whatever you want to call the tank selector looks like what Gee_Emm posted only I have 3 in's and one out. The extra in is plugged with a bolt - I only have two tanks.

Attached is a picture of the aux. fuel guage from JC Whitney.

I asked the guy I bought the truck from how he knew how much gas was in the other tank. Similar to Gee_Emm's instructions he said run the saddle tank until the truck starts bucking. Then switch over. Then you know exactly how much gas is in the tank. I prefer the gauge.
Attached Images

Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote