The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
oldarky66

Shipping help please.

Hey guys (or gals),

Getting close to completion of disassembly and ready to sell my extra donor parts. Need advice on packing larger items such as rear cabs, hoods etc. Do you need to build a wood frame (adding to weight) or just use cardboard and some type of cushioning material. What's been your experience? Thanks for any input.
oldarky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: Shipping help please.

I used fedex ground to ship a nomad tailgate, -not too heavy- and put it in a nice box marked "do not lay flat", and "this side up", so it would stand up.
those instructions were not followed and it got to the guy all beat up.

then the worst part- we (he) filed a claim, and they sent it back to me!!! that trashed it even more, comparing his pic of what he got to what I got back.

he still needed the gate so I used 1X4 and ran that around it and sent it back to him, when he got it again, he said that he could see where I tried to protect it, but the wood was all busted up and the gate was damaged even more...

so: here is the problem with sheet metal: to get it there safe you need to crate it up with ply wood and 2X4's which puts the shipping costs (supplies and weight) up so high that your customer will not want/can't afford the part.

when I grew up in the 70's and 80's I watched my dad crate up all types of sheetmetal and ship it out, but by the late 80's most of the shipping companies were gone; at that time leaving only ups, and selling sheet metal was no longer an option.

I did have some luck sending a dash, and a grille through fedex ground, some of the smaller stuff (like a high hump floor section ) went usps ok.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #3
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

I agree. Some guys talk about using greyhound for bigger items, but I never have. I would rather sell bigger stuff local or offer to assist with transport.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
oldarky66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
I used fedex ground to ship a nomad tailgate, -not too heavy- and put it in a nice box marked "do not lay flat", and "this side up", so it would stand up.
those instructions were not followed and it got to the guy all beat up.

then the worst part- we (he) filed a claim, and they sent it back to me!!! that trashed it even more, comparing his pic of what he got to what I got back.

he still needed the gate so I used 1X4 and ran that around it and sent it back to him, when he got it again, he said that he could see where I tried to protect it, but the wood was all busted up and the gate was damaged even more...

so: here is the problem with sheet metal: to get it there safe you need to crate it up with ply wood and 2X4's which puts the shipping costs (supplies and weight) up so high that your customer will not want/can't afford the part.

when I grew up in the 70's and 80's I watched my dad crate up all types of sheetmetal and ship it out, but by the late 80's most of the shipping companies were gone; at that time leaving only ups, and selling sheet metal was no longer an option.

I did have some luck sending a dash, and a grille through fedex ground, some of the smaller stuff (like a high hump floor section ) went usps ok.

Wow, sounds like a nightmare. Might have to consider craigslist for the big ones.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #5
oldarky66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
I agree. Some guys talk about using greyhound for bigger items, but I never have. I would rather sell bigger stuff local or offer to assist with transport.
Thanks DPowers.
I was considering greyhound but the nearest one to me is an hour away, pricey trip to ship just one item. Maybe someone who has used them will chime in.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:50 PM   #6
oem4me

I don't take chances. I've had really RARE/MINT items sent to me that got damaged in good boxes. I say crate it and charge the customer, or no go.
Furthermore, when you build the crate, build it like it's going to fall off a truck... because it's going to. I'm not being pessimistic here, just been through it many times.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:32 AM   #7
oldarky66

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
I don't take chances. I've had really RARE/MINT items sent to me that got damaged in good boxes. I say crate it and charge the customer, or no go.
Furthermore, when you build the crate, build it like it's going to fall off a truck... because it's going to. I'm not being pessimistic here, just been through it many times.
Thanks oem4me,
Good advice.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:18 AM   #8
notsolo

I recently used Fasentenal..3PL... (3rd party Logistics...336-888-3036 ). it worked for me 3 speed Saginaw trans and bell housing plus 2 extra boxes of parts on a 4 x 4 pallet..under 200lbs $150.00. This may not be close to you and you still have to build a crate for any sheet metal ..Ed
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #9
ncoonen

I have used Greyhound successfully a couple of times to ship heavy, bulky items like modern car seats and interior pieces. The advantage is that if you are using a city-to-city route, the handling is very minimal. Your stuff doesn't get loaded and unloaded a half-dozen times enroute. The Greyhound people have always been very helpful and to ship seats, it cost less that half than FedEx.

For something like an old truck hood, you probably need to make a crate and use a L-T-L shipper. Or, take roadtrip.

I've never tried it for anything but cars but you might also check U-Ship. Basically, you describe and picture what you need to ship and shippers will bid on it. I don't know that I would try this with something fragile but it might be worth checking.

...ned.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #10
GVDobler

I have also shipped via Greyhound Bus with great success.
GVDobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #11
jayoldschool

Put big stuff on a pallet, and send it truck freight.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #12
Mcelroy247

Pm sent
Mcelroy247 is offline   Reply With Quote