The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
hop sing

1961 front end rebuild ?'s

aloha I searched forum already found plenty swap info on 1961 front ends ,,but I like the t bar frnt end ,,but have never rebuilt a t bar frnt end I have done plenty coil front ends ,,looking for tips and tricks for a smooth R&R mahalo ,,,,oh anybody got a set of t bar control arms laying around ?$ figured I rebuild arms ahead of time cant count how many times I have run into cracked control arms and then had to search for another set ,instead of continueing the rebuild thx Hop Sing
hop sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
hop sing

Re: 1961 front end rebuild ?'s

bump
Can a brother get a hand ? I thought there'd be at least a couple people who have rebuilt a T bar front end thx Hop
Old 05-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
par4tom

I wish I could help you more on the T-bar issue, I did replace my front spindles with a McGaughy's 2.5" drop with disc brakes. At the same time, all the steering, tie rods, ball joints were replaced with new parts. Not that difficult and you can find a ton of information on here.

More importantly and like you, I really like the ride of the t bar compared to the coil springs...it is "softer" to be sure.

The biggest deal-maker change for me was the addition of a sway bar and rear bags on a straighter valve about a month back...the truck now rides like a dream, is more stable and a LOT of the vehicle roll is definately gone. I don't know why I waited so long...

I think a lot of these guys who are in such a hurry to get rid of the torsion bars because everybody else is, should reconsider. These t bars with a sway bar set-up is an amazingly good, and stable ride for regular street use.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7236896
Building Your Own Speaker Kick Pods
http://http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=730495
par4tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
Thiessen1960

I am in the process and have ordered the front end rebuild kit for our torsion bar setup from CPP. My dad claims its one of the smoothest riding suspensions and he loved how it rode even when compared to all the new vehicles we own. So basically we are going to work it to the point of being new. One of my spindles is trashed but I am getting a new one off a spare torsion front end I have. Also if you switch the hubs to the 62-68 style you get the new tapered bearings which are cheaper and last longer then the cheaper reproduction roller bearings. They fit on the original spindles. Have any questions feel free to message me.
Thiessen1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #5
hop sing

thx you guys much appreciation ,,,t bar ride is smooth ,and I will be adding sway bar for sure ,,but got to get rid of the squeaky bushing I used to the squeak at winter time only when it was cold ,but now passenger side is constant .one of my ? is unloading the torrision bars ,never have had the pleasure yet just want to do it safely mahalo from Da T bar lounge