The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
JAB59

235 head oil problems

I've got a 59 with a 235 L6, the problem I got is the PO when they installed the head. He put the head bolt for the oil to come up to the rockers he installed in the wrong location. See the picture below, I now have the bolt in the holes I believe to be right, they where previously switched. So the head was not getting any oil. Now that I have found out why I was not getting any oil to the rockers. In my research it also looks like I'm missing the tube that runs from the head to rockers. My question is does anybody know where I can get the tube from? I also could use new rockers assembly?

Thanks
Attached Images

JAB59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
whitedog76

Re: 235 head oil problems

One issue with the 235 is that there is a couple different designs for the rocker shaft and tube assembly. Yours being a 59, I'm guessing it has the later style.

Look for someone parting out a 235 or call these guys.

http://www.rockerarms.com/pages/products.html

Patrick's may be able to steer you in the right direction too.

http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/products.html

Good info here:

http://1954advance-design.com/Web%20...brication.html
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
JAB59

Thanks for the help, today I'm going to pull the head to see how much damage is done. I first got this truck 20 years ago, and had to park the truck after driving it for a summer with life getting way. Now I'm justing getting back into it, but 20 years ago I drove the truck for about 10,000 miles that way. The PO said that he had the motor rebuilt and didn't worry about it. I can't believe that the truck ran that long with no oil getting to the head and rockers.

Thanks Again.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
Ratpin

If you open you pushrod inspection cover, do you see a tube running to the middle? They didn't all use that special bolt to lube the valvetrain.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
OrrieG

Looks like oil has been coming from somewhere, Ratpin may be right.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
JAB59

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I wanted to get the inspection cover off. Attached are some pics, it looks like there are no tubes. It appears to be what I thought and the oil comes up the head bolt.

I need to tell the whole story. I bought the truck back in 93 for about $500. The PO said they just had the whole motor redone, so being a 16 year old kid I just drove it for two summers (10,000 miles??). Then it wouldn’t start, the guy I was working for said it was a timing chain. Being a broke kid I parked the truck. Then life got in the way; college, wife, kids and moving to VA, DC, FL, UT and now NC. One day I was talking to my uncle he mentioned that it could be coil since it was switched to a 12 volt system. So $15 later with new coil she started right up after sitting for 15 years (old gas still in tank). Then I started to get serious about getting her back on the road.
I started with the brakes, no fluid in the master and wouldn’t build pressure bad internals. Rebuilt master, replaced all four wheel cylinders, inspected and cleaned. Replaced all fluids (motor, trans, rear end and coolant) and filters; Plus new plugs and wires. This is when I noticed that she was only running on 5 cylinders, pulled off valve cover and noticed that there was no oil on the head or rocker arms. The only oil I could see was where I added oil from the oil change. There was a gap between push rod and rocker. I noticed that my oil pressure was about 25 psi. At this point I’m thinking bad oil pump not getting enough pressure to get oil to the top end and to lift push rod. Removed pan and pump, inspected pump shows wears but not a lot. Decided to change pump, now have about 35 psi but still no oil to head. After some online research, I decided to switch the head bolts. (This is when the picture was taken in previous post; the oil you see was when added oil after pump changed I pour the oil directly on to the rockers, if you look close you can see the red tint to the oil from the rust). Now have oil the head but not rockers. This is when I figured out I was missing the oil connector. I now have removed the head, assuming since it has ran for 10,000 miles no oil and then sat for 20 years I would have issues. I removed on valve and surprising doesn’t look bad even the little o-ring is still good. I did find the two coolant ports that are not used in motor block but are in the head almost plugged with gunk.

So the plan now is to have the head taken in to head shop cleaned inspected and replace bad parts as needed. The push rods and rocker assembly need to be replaced. Since I’m new to the Winston Salem area does anybody know of a good head shop here or if anybody is parting out a 235 so I can get the oil connector and rockers?
Thanks for the help hope you enjoyed my story.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #7
Divine 59

The 59 was always a 12 volt system. The 2nd series 55 was the year Chevrolet went from 6 volt to 12 volt. All 235's used a shaft rocker assembly for the valves. The earlier 235 engines only oiled from one location. The later 235's provided lubrication to the rocker shaft in two locations (or three can't remember). My Father in law's 55 vintage 235 oiled from the center of the rocker shaft. My 59 vintage 235 oiled from the center the rear closest to the firewall (or at each end too). Its been a while since i had the valve cover off. Generally the shaft rocker should be inspected for wear. They wear normally occurs on the bottom portion of the rocker shaft. Check there to see if the limited oiling caused any damage. Good Luck.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
Ratpin

The '55 hydraulic lifter motor I put in the apache also did not have the oil passage bolt installed. After I had the head gone through, It was easy to drill a passage through the bolt. You only need a vise, a drill and a 1/8" bit.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #9
JAB59

I don't see any where oil could be coming up except the head bolt. Unfortunely I don't have the head anymore to take pics. I do have couple from before I toke the head off. Attached. The link above from white dog (
http://1954advance-design.com/Web%20...brication.html) matches what I'm reading in the 58 shop manual. Divine59 if you got something you can send for me to look at I, that would be great.
Ratpin thanks for the info, I got the right bolt the problem was the bolt was put it in the wrong hole.

Thanks everbody for the info.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
_Ogre

not sure here and correct me if i'm wrong
those look like hydraulic lifters
if the 235 has hydraulic lifters the gets to the lifters thru the push rods
and then splashes all over the valve train

pull all the lifters out the soak and brush them in automatic trans fluid and then motor oil
the trans fluid should remove any varnish, the motor oil will ''prime'' them
you should be able to push a push rod in them to see the pumping action

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #11
JAB59

Orge,

I thought the same thing when I first started to solve the problem of only hitting on 5 cylinders. The push rods look like they have holes in them but no they don't. I have read that the 59 came with both style of lifters.

Thanks for the info.