The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
cerial

Need help identifying this axle

I just picked up a axle I was told was from a 48-52 Chevy 1/2 ton. I was told it came out of California and has been sandblasted before being put back together. It looks great and the breaks turn freely. I should be able to put some new lines on it and run the thing down the road no problem.
But, while the 5 lug thing is favorable. It should be a 6 lug. I did not pay much for it so I just loaded it up.
I don't know if it was converted at some point. But, from a replacement parts standpoint I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface is around 58.75

Outer spring hole to outer spring hole 29.5

Spring hole center to spring hole center is around 26 7/8.

Lug pattern is 4.75x5

Thank you for any help
1985 K20 Winter beater
1991 R30(squarebody) c/c flatbed towrig
1994 s10 80"wb custom build
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Need help identifying this axle

It looks just like both of my axles that have 54 Car drums on them to get a 5 bolt on 4-3/4 pattern to run regular Chevy car wheels.

It actually looks like someone has redrilled the bolt pattern on the drums.

I'd have to look at the axle I have off at home to tell if the measurements are the same.

Can you post a straight on photo of the drum and a photo or two of the back side of the backing plate and spindle? Usually there spacers on the top two bolts that hold the backing plate if the backing plates have been swapped plus two extra holes because you have to drill two new holes above the old ones in the car backing plates to put them on truck spindles.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
starterman99

on my 1950 axle the measurements are close to yours. Because the frame narrows to the front the outer bolt holes are 1/4'' wider on tie rod side of axle as compared to drag link side of axle. they are 29'' and 29 1/4 '' outside to outside ubolt holes. spring center to spring center is 26 3/4''. mine still has 6 lug, wheel flange to wheel flange about
58 1/2''. back of backing plate to wheel flange about 4 1/4''
Old 05-14-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
cerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
It looks just like both of my axles that have 54 Car drums on them to get a 5 bolt on 4-3/4 pattern to run regular Chevy car wheels.

It actually looks like someone has redrilled the bolt pattern on the drums.

I'd have to look at the axle I have off at home to tell if the measurements are the same.

Can you post a straight on photo of the drum and a photo or two of the back side of the backing plate and spindle? Usually there spacers on the top two bolts that hold the backing plate if the backing plates have been swapped plus two extra holes because you have to drill two new holes above the old ones in the car backing plates to put them on truck spindles.
Your dead on.

Here is a shot of the drilled drum:

Here is a shot of the spacers:

More questions for those with more experience.

So,this means I can replace the drilled drums with those from a XX Chevy XX(car)?

This means that I have a 5 bolt car breaks from XX year car that someone just trying to be thrifty reusing the truck drums or do I have truck breaks that have been drilled to the 5 bolt pattern?

Is there a difference internally between the truck and car breaks (no need to answer if I have car breaks and can use car drums)?

Thank you.
1985 K20 Winter beater
1991 R30(squarebody) c/c flatbed towrig
1994 s10 80"wb custom build
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The spindles are 53 up. You should have the truck brake as they used a truck drum and re-drilled it to fit. Measure the Ubolt holes, the fronts should be narrower than the rears. 29.5" is the AD frame width at that spot so you should have an AD axle and the stop locks are AD not Taskforce.
I suspect that they used later Bendix truck brakes with a car hub on an early axle that had Huck style brakes.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote