The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2003, 11:27 PM   #1
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

Where is the horn relay? Trying to go to a fire

I'm trying to get my truck on this big fire here in Sisters Oregon, and I need the horn to work. I took the wheel off and shorted out the horn contact, but nothing happens. This is a 87 K30 with a 6.2. Any one know where the horn relay/ fuse is?

Thanks in advance
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 11:18 AM   #2
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

TTT

I could really use some help here if anyone knows about this.

Thanks
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:36 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

under the left side of the dash ya know nstad of going to put your truck onto the fire maybe you should light it on fire!

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 05:50 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Look under the dash, right above the brake pedal. There is what's called a convienence panel. It has a flasher and relays. The horn relay is the black one that is about 1" square. The fuse is on the left hand side under the dash, above the park brake pedal.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 11:15 PM   #5
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

Thanks,

That relay isn't there. I guess I should try to figure out which socket to put it in. I rewired a whole new relay in and tore the whole dang steering column apart. I figured that the black wire that came up the column and went through the two rotational contactors and into the horn contactor should be hot, so I hooked it to the ground side of a relay and hooked the hot side to the battery. If I ground the wire, the horn does blow. Only problem, the steering wheel doesn't apear to be grounded, so the horn won't blow. I just gave up and wired the relay to a switch.

Now that I know where the real relay is supposed to be, maybe I can fix it right.

I though about lighting it on fire on more than one occasion today. Driving it into a tree has also crossed my mind. Dang thing has more stupid little problems.

Thanks

After a year out of work, I would like to get it out on a fire and make a few bucks
Old 09-03-2003, 08:29 AM   #6
mtncat

If worse comes to worse run to wal-mart and grab an air powered horn with the little can of air attached. SOunds kind of funny but the guidelines say the vehicle must have a horn but does not say that it has to be attached to the vehicle etc. Saw that done some time ago with the guideline about having a strobe light. Everybody knew that the guidelines were for a personal strobe but there was a safety inspector that was asting like a jerk so when he asked one of the FF's for his strobe the guy walked over and flipped on the over heads on a type 6. Inspector got pissed when he could find NOTHING that said it had to be a small portable strobe that could be carried on the body. Lot's of ways to work around some silly guidelines as long as ya don't cut corners on the things that really matter. Good luck and if ya get on the line watch your "6"
mtncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 03:12 AM   #7
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

Got the call today to put my truck to work on the fire tomorrow. Went in for inspection tonight, couple little fixes. Got them all
done.

Thanks for all your help.