The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
63longfleet

Brake line routing

Is this the correct place for the line from the caliper to terminate? The kit i got came with no instructions so its hit and miss for me at this point. I think this is correct because there is no other place the line will reach. Problem is I remember reading that the line should go to the frame in front of the control arms.
Attached Images

63longfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:13 PM   #2
jimmyjammoto

Re: Brake line routing

That is correct for original crossmember. If you're using a 73-87 crossmember then it goes through the frame. I like the original setup (like yours pictured).
jimmyjammoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
63longfleet

Thanks, yeah i kept the cross memeber and just changed out the control arms. Now for the task of running the new hard lines to all of it
Old 05-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
Jim53066

There is really no right or wrong place to mount the lines. You just have to make sure it does not interfere with any moving parts, and that there is enough length to keep it from getting too tight when the truck is up in the air.

I have a problem with my rear rubber line right now, the PO installed one that is too short. When I lift the truck off the ground, the line is too tight, so I have to cinch up the rear end a couple inches to keep it from pulling apart.

Jim
Jim53066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
canadian_diesel1964

Can I hijack and ask if its better to change the control arms from my 63 to 73-87 ones? I was planning on a ball joint swap when I did my drop spindles. as well as the tie rod reversal deal..whats the consensus?
canadian_diesel1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Turtleman

63longfleet?

What brake line is that?
I'm in the process of replacing all my suspension on the 66 to a 87. I debated a long time if I should swap the cross member over as well but I dont think I will until I replace a motor. So Far I'm doing the upper/lower arms all the linkages , spindles. The brake caliper is off the 87 and that brake line has a ban-joe fitting on the caliper side and is over 20" long because it goes to the frame ,,, I want to keep the same install your doing with mine... Will that brake line work on a 87 caliper to the cross member tab? And what brake line is that?

canadian_deisel1964;
I think its really a personal choice,, I do it because I like all my parts to be specific to the year... Allot folks like to keep the OEM Arm because it has a grease fitting,, (87 does not)
Turtleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
wildearp

I move the hard line from the right side of the frame to the left and move the tee and rubber line on the back axle to the left. Makes more sense to me to do it this way when switching to a dual master cylinder.

The dual master cylinder is the only safe way to do this. Wilwood makes a very nice and affordable proportioning valve:

wildearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
63longfleet

Turtleman, the brake line came with the kit I got from POL. It is a gm truck caliper