The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
mehoff400

65 230 three on tree clutch replacement

i am looking to replace my clutch and fly wheel. reason i think i need to replace both is the clutch doesnt grab till its let almost all the way out. i will grind a little into 1st unless i put it into 2nd then shift into 1st. and i am getting some shacking when letting the clutch out unless it get it just right.

question i have i see at 10 inch clutch and 11 inch clutch. how do i know what one to get? or if i have an option what is better?

thanks for the help

also any recommended placed to pick them up

this will also be my first time pulling my own tranny and doing to clutch.. any tips or write ups would be great
mehoff400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
pimpston65

Re: 65 230 three on tree clutch replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehoff400 View Post
i am looking to replace my clutch and fly wheel. reason i think i need to replace both is the clutch doesnt grab till its let almost all the way out. i will grind a little into 1st unless i put it into 2nd then shift into 1st. and i am getting some shacking when letting the clutch out unless it get it just right.

question i have i see at 10 inch clutch and 11 inch clutch. how do i know what one to get? or if i have an option what is better?

thanks for the help

this will also be my first time pulling my own tranny and doing to clutch.. any tips or write ups would be great
measure you friction plate and get the same size, i heard the double clutching is the better way of switching gearson the 3 on the tree transmissions...
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
mehoff400

that requires me to pull the tranny correct? i was hoping to order the parts and start pulling it and be ready to install when the parts come in
Old 05-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
T and S

There should be some good how to's on the web.... just search. Unless your flywheel is severely worn or burnt a good machine shop should be able to turn it for you (lot cheaper than new). Buy a good kit, make sure you get the alignment tool with the kit.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #5
mehoff400

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and S View Post
There should be some good how to's on the web.... just search. Unless your flywheel is severely worn or burnt a good machine shop should be able to turn it for you (lot cheaper than new). Buy a good kit, make sure you get the alignment tool with the kit.
my thought for the extra 60 bucks? its worth the extra insurance to just buy new fly wheel. do it once and wont have to have the tranny out again.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:33 PM   #6
jdl71

Quote:
my thought for the extra 60 bucks? its worth the extra insurance to just buy new fly wheel. do it once and wont have to have the tranny out again.
I just did this about a month ago and the machine shop charged me I think around 30 bucks to resurface the flywheel. Im not sure where you can get a new one for $90. All they are doing is grinding off a very small amount of material to flatten and smooth the surface, much like is done with brake rotors except there is a lot more to work with and a flywheel will likely need resurfaced only once or twice in its lifetime. As for the clutch size once you get everything apart and out you can measure the disk with a tape or measure or take it to the parts store with you. As for having everything ready to go, everything you need will likely be in stock if you have a national chain parts store anywhere close. Most service parts for these trucks are still very available, and if they don't have they likely can get it next day. This is not a very technical job IMHO, but I would say one that requires a little more muscle than brain power, especially if you don't have a tranny jack. If you don't have a factory service manual you might look at getting a Chilton or Haynes manual. You probably wont be able to find one for 60-66 trucks but '73 and up should be very close and the procedure will be very much the smae. And since you will have your driveshaft out you might as well look at redoing the u joints and carrier bearing at the same time. One last piece of advice, and this may seem obvious, but don't put the clutch in facing the wrong way. Good luck

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:57 PM   #7
Lugnutz65

Quote:

thanks for the help

My step by step installation of a T5 tranny is identical to your 3 speed. Resurfacing the flywheel is worth it and likely a good bit cheaper than a new flywheel. If you have a C10, then you will likely have a 10" clutch disc. New U-joints for the drive shaft are worth it since you already have everything apart anyway.

As far as the grinding, that may be a problem with the tranny itself. IIRC, all the C10 3 speed trannys have a 1st gear that is NOT synchronized for downshifting.

Here's the link to my step by step tranny installation. If you skip the part with the dial indicator it should be OK, especially if you keep the bell bolted to the engine. The pilot bushing will probably be OK too.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:35 AM   #8
mehoff400

is there anything i can do to check to see if it is the tranny. from what i understand the 3 speed does NOT have synchronized also. its not major its just a slight grinding. would it be something just to rebuild or put something upgraded in?