The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2015, 12:03 AM   #1
67ChevNut

Question 69 TBI Conversion first start not happening!

Tried to start my TBI conversion 69 for the first time a week ago and it didn't work! I have replaced almost half of everything, including a warr performance tbi stand alone wire harness, new starter, new starter wire harness, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, distributor, tried two new fuel pumps, new fuel filter, tried two different ecm's, all wire conections were done as required, etc.

There is no fuel in the carburater when I crank it, there is no spark at the spark plugs. I disconected the fuel line at the tank and there is no fuel coming out when I crank it. Now this is a brand new pump, the secoond one I buy. There is 12v going to the fuel pump, I used a tester already, before and after the conector. I also replaced the distributor because I was thinking it wasn't good. I took the spark module to have it tested at auto zone and they told me it works fine. I checked the pickup coil with the ohmeter and it says it is ok. The fuel pump relay clicks when you turn the key too. The fuel tank is almost full.

All grounds are properly connected, the engine almost wants to start, but with no spark and no fuel it is impossible. What am I missing here? I bought a conversion wire harness because I hate to mess with so many wires, but I tested all my conections with a tester already. I followed the instructions of the wire harness. There is 12v where is needed, to the battery, to the key on 12v, to the starter, fuel pump, the brake pedal. I can't believe two ecm's are bad, and that two new fuel pumps turned out to be bad too. I am winding it down to a bad wire stand alone harness, could that be possible? I am out of ideas, appreciate all replies, all help I can get.
67ChevNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
Hart_Rod

Re: 69 TBI Conversion first start not happening!

You need to post this in the fuel injection section for a better response:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=206

Three things come to mind:

1) Was VATS deleted from the wiring harness?
2) Do you have power to the injectors while the motor is being cranked (not with just the key on)?
3) Have you had the injectors cleaned? This will stick if they have sat for very long.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:34 AM   #3
67ChevNut

Smile Re: 69 TBI Conversion first start not happening!

Thought it was in the right section. Thank you, but I found the reasons why it wasn't' working. After my post, I replaced the fuel pump again, and the tbi carburator. Still the same! then I noticed the fuel pump conector had the wires crossed on the section going to the ecm. I fIxed that, the fuel pump immediately worked. However, the truck wasn't starting yet, no fuel at the tbi. Then I disconnected the fuel line right outside the fuel tank, fuel was coming out ok when I cranked the truck. I then plugged it back and disconnected the fuel line just before the tbi and cranked the truck. No fuel at all, from both, the supply and the return line. I then proceeded to disconnect each section of the fuel lines and blew them out with C02 air. Found out that the line section from the fuel tank to the fuel flter was badly clogged. I replaced that section of the fuel line, and whala! Damn truck worked! Sure gave me a headache, just glad it worked. Now it starts right away with just a turn of the key.

Thanks for the reply.
67ChevNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
cooperhw

Re: 69 TBI Conversion first start not happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevNut View Post
Thought it was in the right section. Thank you, but I found the reasons why it wasn't' working. After my post, I replaced the fuel pump again, and the tbi carburator. Still the same! then I noticed the fuel pump conector had the wires crossed on the section going to the ecm. I fIxed that, the fuel pump immediately worked. However, the truck wasn't starting yet, no fuel at the tbi. Then I disconnected the fuel line right outside the fuel tank, fuel was coming out ok when I cranked the truck. I then plugged it back and disconnected the fuel line just before the tbi and cranked the truck. No fuel at all, from both, the supply and the return line. I then proceeded to disconnect each section of the fuel lines and blew them out with C02 air. Found out that the line section from the fuel tank to the fuel flter was badly clogged. I replaced that section of the fuel line, and whala! Damn truck worked! Sure gave me a headache, just glad it worked. Now it starts right away with just a turn of the key.

Thanks for the reply.
Quite frustrating when stuff like that happens but when you don't give up and just bear down and start eliminating those things that stand in the way of success it bears fruit.
Good on you.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote