The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
crakarjax

Connect '68 Condenser to Air Compressor?

I have a condenser from my '68 sitting around and am trying to figure out how to put it in-line between my compressor head and tank to cool the air off in order to remove moisture.

I've found that the threads on the inlet match the threads on a 3/4" spring rear u-bolt, and the outlet threads match the threads on a ball joint castle nut. And that's about all I've got so far.

Does anyone know what parts I need to make this connection? the original tubes had a tophat-like flare with an o-ring but I can't make that kind of flare. I'm wondering if I can use a compression fitting of some sort, or would I have to braze on new connectors?

Could I safely just cut off the existing connector and use compression fittings? I don't know what kind of pressure compression fittings are meant to withstand.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:39 PM   #2
crakarjax

Re: Connect '68 Condenser to Air Compressor?

While I'm at it, anyone know the part # for the condenser? Can't seem to find it on rockauto or autozone sites -- don't want to mess it up if I can't replace it!
Old 05-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
crakarjax

So I just looked at LMC and the condenser and hoses are $$$ so I'll probably try to snag one from a junkyard instead. At the same time, the stock hoses look to be barbed with hose clamps so I think I could just chop up whatever hoses are attached and use barbed fitting to connect to the compressor.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
So I just looked at LMC and the condenser and hoses are $$$ so I'll probably try to snag one from a junkyard instead. At the same time, the stock hoses look to be barbed with hose clamps so I think I could just chop up whatever hoses are attached and use barbed fitting to connect to the compressor.
Ok actually after reading a bit, I think I'll probably end up modding in a newer style more efficient condenser anyway. Might go with compression fittings, but they will constrict the lines a bit and reduce flow.

Has noone here done this?
Old 05-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
Davidf

If was doing something similar, I would take the condenser to the A/C shop and have them make a proper fitting that would connect to both the condenser and conventional air compressor female/male connector.

In my area, www.austinrebuildersinc.com would be able to accomplish the task.

Edit: Forgot to ask: Where is the water going to go?
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote