The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2003, 11:10 AM   #1
Huck

How 2 square a bed?

Does anyone have a method as to how to get a reassembled bed square?? I have a rebuilt 8' fleetside bed that doesn't want to get squared off. I know how to measure if it is---my question is how to bet the sides to move against the floor to create a square platform for the tailgate etc. Once square, I will weld in the lower rear gate support pillers to the floor but till then~~~~~HELP!!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 11:39 AM   #2
tom hand
CCRider

Try putting a snug piece of wood in the stake holes using a come-a-long to pull corner to corner. It should take very little effort to move it...if it does you may have to slot some of the bolt holes to get enough slack
Old 09-02-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

I just assembled a short bed. I found that there really wasn’t much movement between the sides and the floor. I started with the front and got the bed rail-to-bed rail distance set (I think it is 66” inside to inside). Then I check for square between the inner bed side and the bed floor. Maybe I just got lucky, but they only required a little tap to get them squared up. For the rear I used a square to get the rear stake pockets perpendicular to the floor. Once I got them square, I double checked the rail-to-rail distance and it was right on. Welding the sides on (at the factory weld locations) alone won’t keep the sides square. I found that the two bolts on each side behind the tail lights is what gives it the most strength. One of my sides wanted to flex outward and the other one wanted to flex inward. I wedged piece of wood against the one flexing inward to get it squared up. Once it was square and secured (bolted and welded) I tacked one end of a piece of metal angle to the bed rail of that side and laid the other end on top of the other side. Then I pulled that side inward until it was square and tacked the angle to the bed rail to hold it in place. Then I welded and bolted that side down.

I’m not sure if that answered your question or if it even made sense, but that’s how I did mine. I haven’t test fit the tailgate yet but the sides are perfectly square, so I assume it’s going to line up good.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:45 AM   #4
Huck

Thaks guys---that's a help---I forget about those bolts holding the gate pillers-----perhaps that will help get them verticle etc. Using wood stakes in the top pockets just seems to tilt in the upper bedisdes verses moving the bedsides against the floor itself. Me thinks I have to unbolt and or remover the wheel tubs to get things moving as well-------tks again---Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 02:16 PM   #5
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Yeah, I installed my wheel tubs AFTER the bed sides were square. That is probably what is causing your problems.