The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
gearheads78

68 GMC 3/4 ton what are these wire coming out the firewall?

Right around the harness connecter there are 3 single wires that come through the firewall. There was a 305 v6 in the truck originally. I figured out the lower wire was the factory tach but the 2 above I am not sure. The one toward the outside is hot all the time. The one closer to the inside powers up when the ignition is turns on.
Attached Images

gearheads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 68 GMC 3/4 ton what are these wire coming out the firewall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheads78 View Post
Right around the harness connecter there are 3 single wires that come through the firewall. There was a 305 v6 in the truck originally. I figured out the lower wire was the factory tach but the 2 above I am not sure. The one toward the outside is hot all the time. The one closer to the inside powers up when the ignition is turns on.

I guess you are going to have to try and follow them and see where they go on each end. The one with the rubber grommet on it looks like it could be a tach wire but I don't think it would be hot all of the time.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheads78 View Post
Looks to me like the group that goes across the firewall with one wire dropping down to the coil (hei?), the others going over and dropping down into the wire clip behind the right head (clip bolts to the transmission bellhousing bolt) large with going to the starter, green wire to the temp. sending unit.
???
Kinda looks like it could be this??
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
gearheads78

I guess I was not clear enough. Sorry I am asking about the 2 single wires in the pic. One on the right with the grommet is contant hot and the one on the left with the grommet missing that has the butt connector coming out of the hole. This one powers up with key on. From the factory what were these two wires? Thanks The the long bed camper edition if it makes a difference.
gearheads78 is offline   Reply With Quote