The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2015, 12:21 AM   #1
LosBarberos

61 Apache bed restoration

I need help.

I been searching and searching the web and just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm restoring my bed so I will be using LMCs bed kit to do the job. Now , when I removed my bed I noticed that the side rails that look to be welded to the sides of the bed need to be replaced. The LMC bed kit comes with angle strips but to me they seem like they go on the upper side of the wood exposed. Are there angle strips for the lower half of the bed? Also what's the difference between bed strips and wear strips? LMC has both on the kit. I attached a picture for assistant. What you're looking at is the under side of the bed. Look at the lower left hand side of the picture. It's all roted out. I hope I make sense.
Attached Images

LosBarberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #2
pimpston65

Re: 61 Apache bed restoration

mar-k has info on bed installation...
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #3
LosBarberos

Yes it does but it doesn't get in to detail regarding differences of "bed strips" vs "wear strips". As for the angle strips it explains how to remove them and install them both bolted on or welded on but it doesn't answer my question which is , are the angle strips that LMC sells correct to replace the ones I need to replace?

I attached a picture to show the area I'm talking about. Lower left hand side of the picture looks to be a rotted angle strip. I need to know if it is a angel strip or if its a different rail I need to outsource off a donor bed?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosBarberos View Post
Yes it does but it doesn't get in to detail regarding differences of "bed strips" vs "wear strips". As for the angle strips it explains how to remove them and install them both bolted on or welded on but it doesn't answer my question which is , are the angle strips that LMC sells correct to replace the ones I need to replace?

I attached a picture to show the area I'm talking about. Lower left hand side of the picture looks to be a rotted angle strip. I need to know if it is a angel strip or if its a different rail I need to outsource off a donor bed?
the angle strips attach to the side of the bed by spot weld, they have square holes for the bolts that attach to the wood. the wood goes under the angle pieces. the front bed panel has a shelf that the wood sits on as well as the tail section. the wood in the field and sides sit on the cross strips. wear strips are the pieces on top of the wood that keep the wood spaced apart and help with "wear" for loads. the bed strips could be the cross strips or the wear strips, depends on who's doing the talking, i call the bed strips cross strips, but others may call them wear strips. kinda confusing i know. pictures of each piece works wonders. biggest thing get yourself a BUILD BOOK!!! saves time and you know what parts are called!!!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
LosBarberos

Pimpston65: thanks for your input. It is a bit confusing. Im in need of the angle strips anyways so I'll be ordering my parts. I'll find out if I need some of those "shelves strips" that are on the edges. The cross sills look to be in good condition and I'm just going to restore them. LMC is good at offering every part you need I wouldn't see why they would leave out important body pieces needed for a full be restoration.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosBarberos View Post
Pimpston65: thanks for your input. It is a bit confusing. Im in need of the angle strips anyways so I'll be ordering my parts. I'll find out if I need some of those "shelves strips" that are on the edges. The cross sills look to be in good condition and I'm just going to restore them. LMC is good at offering every part you need I wouldn't see why they would leave out important body pieces needed for a full be restoration.
the shelves are a part of the front bed panel, and the rear one is part of the tail gate cross sill. so no need the replace them. also LMC calls the wear strips and bed strips the same, the cross sills are the heavier gauge pieces that the wood sits on, hope this helps!!!