The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
rwrogers11

Title question

I bought a 52, sitting on an S10 frame from a guy in Arkansas. Towed it back to Katy, Tx this weekend. Wasn't really thinking about the issue of not having a title until I got back. Guess I was blinded by the truck.

So now the question, before I go to deep or too far with the truck, whats the best way to get a title? Should I start in Arkansas, or in Texas? I did get a BOS for it though.

Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 05-18-2015 at 01:25 PM.
rwrogers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: Title question

Edited by Forum Staff

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 05-18-2015 at 01:23 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Heads up.
If you're looking for LEGAL ways to fix your problem that's fine.
But any discussion of ways to get around the law, and this thread will be closed.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
rwrogers11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Heads up.
But any discussion of ways to get around the law, and this thread will be closed.
No, don't get me wrong, I want it to be legal, that's why I'm asking.

Richard
Old 05-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
retired1

Did you discuss the title issue with the previous owner? Can he get a duplicate title?
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #6
rwrogers11

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
Did you discuss the title issue with the previous owner? Can he get a duplicate title?
I've looked at a few of the companies that charge $400 and up to get a title, but I'm not sure if they are legal either.

He's looking to see. My next step it to call the DMV here and just see what they say.

Richard
Old 05-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
OrrieG

There was a recent thread on Texas titling, search at top of page should find it.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #8
1project2many

Quote:
Heads up.
Interesting that my reply was deleted. I have never advocated an illegal approach and am not doing so here. For OP's reference, I pointed out that attaching a VIN tag is illegal. From many states' point of view the OP has not obtained legal ownership of the vehicle and any attempt other than obtaining a legal title or the proper paper trail from the seller is trying to "get around" the law. Again, talking to local hotrodders or anyone who's been through a similar situation would give advice that's applicable to this situation. That advice might include finding a state DMV or law enforcement officer sympathetic to the situation and willing to provide guidance and assistance. That advice might include suggestions about what paperwork to obtain from the builder / seller. That advice might include stories about how a particular vehicle built from scraps and pieces never titled or obtained long after titled owner gave up claim were legally registered and titled. It is the local guys who have BTDT, not folks on the internet thousands of miles away and with little experience in the particular state, that can and should offer practical advice.

Quote:
I've looked at a few of the companies that charge $400 and up to get a title, but I'm not sure if they are legal either.
Fine question. One approach those companies use is to register the vehicle in NH or another state that doesn't require a title on antique vehicles. They will then sell the vehicle to you or to an agent in the state where the title is desired. Once the vehicle has a paper trail from the non-title state to the title state, a title can be applied for. The vehicle will have no previous title on record because the "from" state doesn't issue one. So the "to" state accepts the application, issues a title, and moves on. The "to" state may ask for VIN verification, or physical inspection, or several other checks. But the process usually gets completed.

Last edited by 1project2many; 05-18-2015 at 03:14 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #9

I used a company called Auto Title Recovery in Beaumont Tx 409-658-3019 go to her website autotitlerecovery.com and read up she can answer your questions.
918733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
rwrogers11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 918733 View Post
I used a company called Auto Title Recovery in Beaumont Tx 409-658-3019 go to her website autotitlerecovery.com and read up she can answer your questions.
Thanks, I'll give them a call. however I do question one part on their site "The vehicle must be in your possession and cannot be considered abandoned, junked, stolen, or in any other pending lawsuits. Although not required to be operational, it must be a complete vehicle including a frame, body and motor or if a motorcycle, a frame and motor."

This truck is on a S10 frame and there is no motor, transmission, interior, etc. Its just the shell.

Richard
Old 05-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #11

Yep if it's not complete it's parts it has to be a cab frame and motor I had bought my truck with no motor or trans. so I waited until I put it on the s 10 frame and left the s 10 motor in it and I did not volunteer any info about an s 10 fram
Old 05-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #12
rwrogers11

Quote:
Yep if it's not complete it's parts it has to be a cab frame and motor I had bought my truck with no motor or trans. so I waited until I put it on the s 10 frame and left the s 10 motor in it and I did not volunteer any info about an s 10 fram
Do they come look at it? How do they know if there is a motor in it or not?

Richard
Old 05-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #13

I did a bonded title and you have to take it to have a theft inspection
Old 05-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #14

In Texas from 1955 and down vehicles where titled by the number on the block, so you have to let them know you want it titled by the tag in the door jam when you go for the theft inspection, and you need to decifer those number before you take it mine where real hard to read so you wanna have them, so someone doesn't mis read them and you went through all this for nothing
Old 05-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #15
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

This is all you need. Since you purchased parts with a bill of sale you can go for an assembled vehicle and by pass the nonsense of tracking a title.

http://txdmv.gov/reports-and-data/do...vehicle-manual
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #16
Sim6

Did you get it in Rogers by chance?

53' Chevy 3100 5 window http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=660793

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=771679
Sim6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:36 AM   #17
rwrogers11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim6 View Post
Did you get it in Rogers by chance?
No that would have been awesome since I'm Richard Rogers. But i got it i Springdale, AR.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #18
mr48chev

Quote:
If it's a project and you take it apart, take photos of each piece separate from the rest. Just like we have on here in out build threads, frame before/frame after clean up and paint, Cab sitting on the shop floor or on what ever and a few shots of it being assembled along the way and set on the frame.

It should be a lot easier to register one "assembled" from parts gathered here and there including Arkansas rather than trying to register a untitled truck bought in Arkansas in Texas.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #19
mr48chev

Here is a link to the Texas assembled vehicle info I came up with via Google search. Found out that the search didn't carry though and gave some other link. Google Texas assembled Vehicle and read the first Pfd link to start with.
txdmv.gov/reports-and-data/doc.../3447-assembled-vehicle-manual

u need receipts or documentation that you legally came by those components, Mainly engine, body and frame.

The PFD at the top of the list should be what you want and need. It pretty well gives you a step by step walk through the process.

What may screw you up though is the S-10 frame with it's vin number stamped in several places. I can't say how they treat that. A stock 3100 frame has no serial number or vin anywhere on it and isn't the problem that an S-10 frame is along with you really need to know that the guy who sold you the truck had a legal frame and not one from a stolen truck.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 05-19-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:57 PM   #20
Clay54

Mr48chevy, not sure that was the link you intended. It has nothing to do with vehicles.
Clay54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #21
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay54 View Post
Mr48chevy, not sure that was the link you intended. It has nothing to do with vehicles.

Thanks, Google Smacked me on that one. Best I can say is do a Google search for Texas Assembled Vehicle. The first link is to a pfd that walks you through the process of registering a truck like rwrogers11 is working on registering.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:31 PM   #22
rwrogers11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Here is a link to the Texas assembled vehicle info I came up with via Google search. Found out that the search didn't carry though and gave some other link. Google Texas assembled Vehicle and read the first Pfd link to start with.
txdmv.gov/reports-and-data/doc.../3447-assembled-vehicle-manual

u need receipts or documentation that you legally came by those components, Mainly engine, body and frame.

The PFD at the top of the list should be what you want and need. It pretty well gives you a step by step walk through the process.

What may screw you up though is the S-10 frame with it's vin number stamped in several places. I can't say how they treat that. A stock 3100 frame has no serial number or vin anywhere on it and isn't the problem that an S-10 frame is along with you really need to know that the guy who sold you the truck had a legal frame and not one from a stolen truck.
Thanks very much, I'm reading through this and I agree, this may be the best way to go, since its an S10 frame, 52 body, and I'm going to get a 350 to rebuild and put in.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #23
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwrogers11 View Post
Thanks very much, I'm reading through this and I agree, this may be the best way to go, since its an S10 frame, 52 body, and I'm going to get a 350 to rebuild and put in.

Thanks,
Richard
Every state is different. I was blinded too, I had found a 5 window. When I came home the title didn't match anything... I bought three cabs two frames and a ton of fenders and miscellaneous parts. Turns out the title I had was to the engine block. The previous owner wanted me to buy a gun plate and stamp it with the vin that was on the title. Sounded illegal and is .. Towed my truck to get inspected at the dmv. Numbers were never registered or anything so I was good. Paid 300 for the title bond and now I have a bonded title. In three years they'll send me a legit title. I'm sure Texas might be similar ...
tiddlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #24
mr48chev

3 years goes by real fast. I did that on a boat trailer I built out of an old travel trailer for my sailboat and I think it has been five years and maybe more and I still haven't worried too much about getting a regular title to it. Maybe this year if I remember to do it.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:35 PM   #25
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
3 years goes by real fast. I did that on a boat trailer I built out of an old travel trailer for my sailboat and I think it has been five years and maybe more and I still haven't worried too much about getting a regular title to it. Maybe this year if I remember to do it.
No kidding in July it'll be a year already
Posted via Mobile Device
tiddlar is offline   Reply With Quote