The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
webfoot

Reviving an original AC system

My new (to me) 70 has factory AC, and I am am hoping someone has some experience (or knows of some good threads for reference) with going through this and making it work again. Do I HAVE to convert to 134? R12 is still available on ebay.

At a minimum, what should be replaced to make this 45 year old system operable? I am pretty handy as far as mechanical systems go.

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
kell490

Re: Reviving an original AC system

I have converted many to 134A the correct way that is to replace the compressor, condenser, orifice tube, Pag oil, orings pressure sensors and accumulator. Another way is to stick with stock R12 system and buy R-12 off eBay. If you go the with the stock R12 then I would at lest do a complete vacuum and make sure it holds for 5 hours or more. I buy all my aftermarket kits from http://www.ackits.com/ they are local to me they can make custom hoses. These guys know what they are doing and can help you convert your system over. Vacuum pump, and gauges are fairly cheap easy to find. Another method some say to use is the O-ring conversion this is the cheap way to convert. You try to remove as much oil as you can, add pag oil, and replace the o-rings charge with 134A. I have never seen this work long term, but sometimes they do work on systems with a variable expansion tube which your's will not be.
kell490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
webfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I buy all my aftermarket kits from http://www.ackits.com/ they are local to me they can make custom hoses. These guys know what they are doing and can help you convert your system over. Vacuum pump, and gauges are fairly cheap easy to find. Another method some say to use is the O-ring conversion this is the cheap way to convert. You try to remove as much oil as you can, add pag oil, and replace the o-rings charge with 134A. I have never seen this work long term, but sometimes they do work on systems with a variable expansion tube which your's will not be.
What is the all-in DIY cost of a 134 conversion? Only thing I saw on that website was a compressor.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #4
HUSTLESTUFF

I'm starting my a/c resto. I have heard that the molecules of 134 are small enough to go through the hoses of the r-12 system. So if you do convert at least change those. I found a 10 vane compressor kit on rock auto fairly cheap at Rock Auto and will go that route. I'm re-sealing box and all. lots of leaves in mine. I plan on getting new hoses and running r-12. Mike
HUSTLESTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #5
webfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSTLESTUFF View Post
I'm starting my a/c resto. I have heard that the molecules of 134 are small enough to go through the hoses of the r-12 system. So if you do convert at least change those. I found a 10 vane compressor kit on rock auto fairly cheap at Rock Auto and will go that route. I'm re-sealing box and all. lots of leaves in mine. I plan on getting new hoses and running r-12. Mike
Got a part number for the compressor kit you got?

Old 05-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #6
HUSTLESTUFF

FOUR SEASONS TSN0153 about $258 plus $20 shipping. Includes new compressor, expansion valve and drier. $449-$40-$40 respectively at LMC. I'll probably get my hoses from LMC though. Mike
HUSTLESTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:08 AM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I'm going to reconnect the original and take it from there. The A/C system was never reinstalled after the engine rebuild in 1993. I don't know much about it, but my mechanic said by not leaving it connected, it would dry up. I'm assuming he meant the condenser, but I suppose it could be all things connected to it. What can be done to correct, if at all, couldn't tell you at this point.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #8
webfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSTLESTUFF View Post
FOUR SEASONS TSN0153 about $258 plus $20 shipping. Includes new compressor, expansion valve and drier. $449-$40-$40 respectively at LMC. I'll probably get my hoses from LMC though. Mike
Wow, that looks like a heck of a deal, thanks for sharing. Don't forget your 5% off discount code!

Old 05-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I have converted many to 134A the correct way that is to replace the compressor, condenser, orifice tube, Pag oil, orings pressure sensors and accumulator. Another way is to stick with stock R12 system and buy R-12 off eBay. If you go the with the stock R12 then I would at lest do a complete vacuum and make sure it holds for 5 hours or more. I buy all my aftermarket kits from http://www.ackits.com/ they are local to me they can make custom hoses. These guys know what they are doing and can help you convert your system over. Vacuum pump, and gauges are fairly cheap easy to find. Another method some say to use is the O-ring conversion this is the cheap way to convert. You try to remove as much oil as you can, add pag oil, and replace the o-rings charge with 134A. I have never seen this work long term, but sometimes they do work on systems with a variable expansion tube which your's will not be.
Thanks for the link. I will be looking at this kit in the near future.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
Davidf

I recently rebuild the a/c on my new to me '71. PO had converted to R134a and I went back to R12. I can buy R12 and have about 30lbs of the stuff on hand anyway. R12 simply works better. I purchased a new condenser from Classic Parts ($189). The part came from Old Air ($205 on OA website). I also installed a replacement section for the original POA (has pressure switch for cycling the compressor). So far, I don't like this piece and am contemplating putting the old POA back in the system and seeing if it still works. I had the original A6 compressor rebuilt, replaced the pipes from condenser/drier, replaced the accumulator/drier and had new hoses made. I also removed the evaporator assembly for cleaning and had the evaporator pressure checked (it was ok). New expansion valve as well. Finally, I had to replace relays and wiring connectors. So, the system works well (other than the POA replacement section). Not a cheap or quick endeavor.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #11
MARKDTN

I will use R12 until it is all gone. I have about 80# left which should last the rest of my life. Stay R12.

If you don't want to do that, convert to R134. DO NOT use the blends. They either contain butane or other flamables or have radically different sized molecules that make it impossible to balance the charge once the small molecules leak out.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:33 PM   #12
1956cameo

I was starting to think I was the only one who wanted an original A/C setup versus a vintage air set up. Good to see I am not alone.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote